Turkish Class - With Lalla Aicha

What’s the feminin equivalent for “efendi” ? (hanim ? khanum ?)

han?m is the feminine equivalent of efendi… and guess what? you can even call a lady han?mefendi (han?m + efendi) and in this case you can call a male, beyefendi (bey + efendi)

so I’ll show you examples of how they’re used:

buyrun beyefendi, oturun lütfen.
tfaddal sir, please take a seat.

buyrun Mahmut efendi (or Mahmut bey), oturun lütfen.
tfaddal Mahmut efendi, take a seat.

buyrun Ay?e han?m, girebilirsiniz.
tfaddali lalla Ay?e, you may enter

buyrun han?mefendi, girebilirsiniz
tfaddali madam, you may enter

Lesson Summary:

So I can conclude with, if you’re going to insert the name of the person, you use the short version (efendi/bey or han?m) after the person’s name but if you don’t know their name or you don’t want to say it, just use beyefendi/han?mefendi.

buyrun = tfaddal/tfaddali/tfaddalou
b han?m[/b] = lalla (name)
b bey/efendi[/b] = sidi (name)
beyefendi = monsieur
han?mefendi = madame
girebilirsiniz = you may enter (plural, used for respect)
girebilirsin = you may enter (sg.)
lütfen = please
oturun = sit (plural, command)
otur = sit (sg. command)

In turkish, there is not much differentiation of gender

Touta has a question to our lovely teacher :slight_smile:

What about “aferin” ? I guess it’s smth like good or what ? …and when can we say this ?

aferin means well done/good on you/bravo :slight_smile: it’s definitely something good, but sometimes people use it with sarcasm, example:

Me: hey touta i lost my ticket, what am i going to do?? :frowning:
Touta: Aferin Aicha Aferin!

here, you’re obviously not saying well done in a positive sense, you’re annoyed at the fact that i did something so stupid.

but then again, you could really mean “well done” , example:

Me: Guess what? I got 99% for my exam!
Touta: Aferin!

Ahh… Thanks canim :wink:

With your examples everything is so clear :ok:

its called da9atu 9alb in arabic and in turkish its called dudaktan kalbe (i think) or however u say hearbeat haha lol its realllllllllllllllly good but its just draggin on now lol :roll:

btw how do u say: be quiet! like 2uscut/i! or in urdu they say: chup!

thank you bzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaf!!! lol

touta, you’re welcome… rica ederim :slight_smile:

mini,

be quiet! = sus! / kes sesini! / kapat çeneni!

sus is the easiest and quickest, and it means “be quiet!”

kes sesini literally means, cut off your voice, or “shut it!”

kapat çeneni literally means “shut your chin/mouth!”, it’s a bit more harsher than the above two, and only used when REALLY annoyed.

The one i would prefer is “sus” but with the addition of “please” which is lütfen in turkish, so sus lütfen or susarm?s?n lütfen (can you be quiet please)

hope that’s clear for you :slight_smile:

and about that tv show, i don’t watch it, and i never did, it’s lame… like 90% of turkish soaps. :slight_smile: dudaktan kalbe literally means from lips to the heart :roll:

lol yeah but its not as lame as arab dramas so i dont mind it but now its draggin so ive stopped lol :roll:
ok so the arabic title isnt a translation of the Turkish one then haha

as for sus its sorta sounds like shush with out the sh haha so im gonna remember that lol :ok:

there are better ones out there, if u need some recommendations i can help :wink:

yeah sus is pretty much shoush, but without the sh-ing

a very aggressive way of telling someone to be quiet is : konu?ma lan! and its generally used by guys, the literal translation is: don’t talk dude! BUTTTTTTT it sounds far more harsh in turkish, like a very rude command, and you can get hurt for saying it to a random person :smiley: i’m just letting you know in case you hear it.

i just watch what the arab channels broadcast haha lol

ok il be sure to keep that in mind 3icha :smiley:

yeah sometimes i switch on abu dhabi and i find my fave turkish tv show on so i sit and watch :stuck_out_tongue:

it’s good to learn a few colloquial expressions here and there… :slight_smile:

bir dahaki dersimizde görü?ürüz! :slight_smile:
see you next lesson! :slight_smile:

lol yeah thats were i watch it on abu dhabi oula haha :smiley:
hmmmmmmmm trying to think of a quaetion but i cant lol but i shall be sure to come running if i do haha

btw i know this aint got nuffin to do with turkish but it crossed my mind so i thought id ask u lol
wat do aussies say for this: . do u say fullstop like us or period like the americans do lol and do u say trainers or sneakers and pants or trousers?
just curious hehe :hap:

lolll ok we’ll rename this thread “Turkish and How to be AUSSIE classes - with Lalla Aicha” :smiley:

we say runners/sport shoes, pants & trousers (ive heard mostly pants, and i use pants myself), and we say fullstop… ive never heard someone say period for a [large].[/large] and if i do i think i’ll knock 'em out… i hate american wannabe behaviour.

p.s: nice siggy - imzan güzelmi? minno? :stuck_out_tongue:

lol haha i hate the word pants for trousers its just dumb lol :cool: no offence hehe

ooh how do u say you’re welcome? ive forgotten :unsure:

p.s ur sooo lucky to have a turkish keyboard, i love all those squiggly letters haha :hap:

lol are you sure you want to say “you’re welcome” before i say thanks? :stuck_out_tongue:

GKAY is my newly invented turkish equivalent of LMAO… so you’ll see it often in this thread hihi

thanks = te?ekkürler or te?ekkür ederim
you’re welcome = rica ederim

[quote=LallaAïcha]lol are you sure you want to say “you’re welcome” before i say thanks? :stuck_out_tongue:

GKAY is my newly invented turkish equivalent of LMAO… so you’ll see it often in this thread hihi[/quote]
omg my brains not working LOL i know how to say thanks and thats what i meant LOL

GKAY? does it stand for LMAO?

hhhhh it’s fine wellah, i’m exactly the same today… yesterday killed me

GKAY stands for

Gülmekten
K?r?ld?m
Abi
Yaaaa

which means:
I died from laughing broooo
sounds more authentic and funny in turkish, like always :stuck_out_tongue:

cool its better that LMAO haha can i use it sometimes? :cool:

couuuuuurse you can m’dear :smiley: