Turkish Class - With Lalla Aicha

rüyam? ya??yorum = i’m living my dream OR it can be :
rüya m? ya??yorum? (is this a dream?)

it’s nothing bad :wink:

A useful expression for when you’ve “had enough” in turkish is:

?llallah

-examples:

Btw, this expression is a bit upper class :stuck_out_tongue: so it’s not VERY common to hear it but it came to my mind after listening to the song below.

A famous turkish singer expresses how he’s tired -of love-, in his song illallah

Another expression for when you’ve had enough is:

Yeter
and it has the same meaning as illallah, but it literally means: ENOUGH! (like khalas/safi)

[quote=LallaAïcha]olsun is “may it be”

eg.
afiyet olsun = bsa7tek = may it be “3afiya” (for you)

olsun can also mean ‘doesn’t matter’ depending on the context, example:

Ay?e: yaaa bana dün verdi?in kitab? kaybettim :frowning: (oufff i lost the book you gave me yesterday)
Minik: olsun… (oh well, nevermind, doesn’ matter)[/quote]
ooh interesting and i noticed u say kitab for book too :okay: and u lot say kalbe for 9alb :hap:
btw what does ya bash ya bash or maybe ya bosh ya bosh mean? the b words are sorta said deeply u know that hard turkish way u say stuff which i cant explain haha lol :wink: is it some woeful expression or nothing but empty words? lol heard it in a song hehe :cool:

Te?ekkürler Ö?retmen <-- teacher?? :unsure:

I think you mean yava? yava? (yavash yavash) and it means ‘slow, slow’ or ‘step by step’… I can’t think of anything in turkish close to yabash, doesn’t seem right… but yeah some ppl say certain letters in a diff way, so u might’ve thought it was a b :slight_smile:

CORRECT!, but here you said “thanks teacher”, it’s more proper to say “thanks my lovely lovely teacher” :stuck_out_tongue: ie. “Te?ekkürler bitanecik Ö?retmenim:stuck_out_tongue:

yep we say kitap/kitab and kalp/kalb too :slight_smile: turkish has HEAPSSSS of words from arabic, persian, lately from french & english :S

[quote=LallaAïcha]rüyam? ya??yorum = i’m living my dream OR it can be :
rüya m? ya??yorum? (is this a dream?)

it’s nothing bad ;)[/quote]
Te?ekkürler bitanecik Ö?retmenim :ok:

mm… bitanecik sounds very good. So I see you add endings to express smth sweet -cik … right?
In my language we add chik or chek (m.) and chka (f.)…
Lallachka :wink:

lol i didn’t actually mention that bitanecik means “one and only”… but its a nice way of showing endearment… :slight_smile:

about the cik/c?k ending, yes its exactly what u said toutac?k… =)

about chka, i call my dad babouchka sometimes :wink: i knew it came from russian!!

yeah probably was that just not hearing it right haha
clears throat [color=#fa0904]Te?ekkürler bitanecik Ö?retmenim[/color]
bolded, underlined and red for emphasis haha lol :wink:

btw how dya say salt in Turkish? me and my m8s wer talkin yesterday, she said it in urdu i said it in Arabic and the we wer like wat about turkish? lol

lolll mini, rica ederim sevgili ö?rencim (you’re most welcome my lovely student)

tuz = salt :slight_smile:
its a bit like the tzzz most arabs say for certain situations, in fact my pali friend was saying maybe the arabs started saying tzz after they got it from turkish, and they do this funny hand movement along with it, like they’re thrusting some salt at your face… funny people :smiley:

btw, out of all topics you guys discuss salt ?!!! LOL, your convos aren’t random at all na-ah! :stuck_out_tongue:

lmao u dnt know the half of it believe me haha :wink:
na my friend was cooking and was playing with salt and then after talkin about something salt related (lol) i told her how we say it in Arabic and her in urdu and then we wanted to know in Turkish hehe we always do that, compare languauges…with lil words hehe :smiley:

fair enough :smiley:

lol now u think that i have nothing bettr to do this days than talk about salt hahahahaha :hap:

hhh nah nah, if u ever need to ask for any turkish words after you’ve compared the urdu and arabic equivalent, you can give me a call on XXX-YYY-AAA, and don’t forget the aus code before you dial, coz then it won’t go through :stuck_out_tongue:

ok, joke aside… here’s a new word for the day:

S?hatler olsun

Can anyone guess what this could be? look at the f?rst word, and y’all already know what the second word is… its the imperative (3rd person sg.) of ‘to be’ ie. ‘may it be’

yalla bekliyorum (I’m waiting) :slight_smile:

ummmmmmmmmmm may it be easy for u? haha i dunno lol :hm:
btw how can i say : “im sorry” in Turkiya? :hap:

s?hat sounds like the word sa7a, riiiight? :smiley: so it means something like “May you be healthy” or perhaps “To your health!”

i’m sorry = özür dilerim / kusura bakma / üzgünüm

in terms of pronounciation, kusura bakma is the easiest, but if you wanna take a shot at the others why not :wink:

keep your questions coming, and just a note: if you wanna remember all the things you learn, it’s best to write them down somewhere, the easiest way is to paste them to a word file :slight_smile:

görü?ürüzzzzzz
(à bientot)

oh god which one is used more often out of the 3? :blink: thanks dear 3icha the q’s shall be coming inshallah :^^: especially since im hooked on this syrian dubbed turkish series and sometimes they have writings in Turkish which we cant understand :S hope i remember them :unsure:

it really depends more on the context… i personally use kusura bakma more often, and rarely özür dilerim… with üzgünüm, it has a closer meaning to ‘im upset’ than ‘im sorry’ but you hear it a lot in films and on tv… though colloquially kusura bakma is probably the most common… kusura bakma literally means ‘don’t look at the fault’ :slight_smile:

and if you’re speaking to more than one person, you’d say kusura bakmay?n (in turk?sh we have the vous thing, if u want to be respectful to a person, you use the plural version of ‘you’)

so…

kusura bakma - sorry (to one person)
kusura bakmay?n - sorry (to one person (vous) or plural)

btw mini wh?ch dizi is that? i might know it :hap:

dizi = tv soap

I actually did compile most things from here in one place, but sometimes you go too fast for me :hm:
I’ll catch up some time soon inshallah, and post the summary here, although I am more interested in more common and most short sentences for a start :hap:

give me examples and i can provide you with translations into turkish…

likeeeee… “ne diyorsun yaaaaa?” - what are you saying (maaaaan) ? :smiley:

another word that is soooooooo common is “lan” and its something like “mec” or “akhoya” or “dude” which you’d hear young people say to each other -girls and boys-, some ppl consider it rude, especially elder people, NEVER use this word with ppl older than you or ppl you don’t really know, its more common with friends and closer contacts. The other day my friend got in trouble with her mum for calling her “lan” :no: notti girl!! my mum doesn’t mind it :hap: :stuck_out_tongue:

ALso, i’d like to add some examples of how its used:

nereye gidiyorsun lan
? = where are you going man/dude?

LAN!! ne yapt?n sen? = YOU!! what did you do?

??ttt lan gel buraya = pssstt dude, come here