Slam w r7mat llahi w brkato

Hello everyone,

I am:

-some MSA, 3miya masriya, and darija background (et petit PETIT peut de francais). to give you an idea of my level, i can just about converse in any of the 3, but i can’t read the paper, i can’t read nichane, i can’t even read telquel. sucks. :(. and i have trouble esp. keeping MSA, dajira, and 3miya straight and separate in my head. i also really need/want to learn to read french.

-lived Rabat, Fes, Cairo/Doqqi…

• I am also trying to learn/am interested in Tamazight/Tachel7it (ok fine 7ta Taarifit lol) language.

• Darija speakers, Moroccan culture, music, melhoun, nass el ghiwane, gnawa, Gnawa Diffusion, Fnaire, Muslim, Casa Crew, sh3bi!, rouicha

• you guys are changing the way to learn language, making it more comprehensive, personal, and culturally-informed.

There is a lot more I could say but I’ll leave it at that haha. Message me with question or anything w tbarak allah 3lekom.

hey welcome to the forum!

see you around!

lah 7fdik! oh yeah one thing i forgot to mention: if anyone is here to improve their English, maybe we can chat or set up some exercises-- i have some english teaching experience and interest.

mar7ba bik achminfar9, i am also another FNAIRE, Gnawa, Moroccan music obsessed person and i am trying to learn derja. IT’S GREAT that you’ve learnt MSA because that will be quite useful when learning derja AND ALSO, i haven’t had the honour to visit lovely maroc as of yet, so i am bare jealous of you!! :fouet: :^^:
Just by reading the translations in the derja translation section you will find yourself learning a GREAT DEAL of words, phrases in derja. Also there’s a peace corps copy of Moroccan Arabic Grammar and even Tachel7it/Tamazight that you can check out, its somewhere in one of the threads of this forum, so just have a browse around and you’ll stumble upon it. Some users had posted it back some time ago, & it will be really handy for you.

Good luck/Bonne chance :slight_smile: See you around akhoya

thankkkkk you aLalla Aicha, really good advice for how to use the forum…i am going to go digging :).

ntchoufou!

ps- what is that smiley face doing? whipping?

yes this smiley face is whipping… the air.

see you around, thalla.

mar7ba bik achminfar9 !

:welcome:

choukran ya hiba lah hafdik

achminfar9, your disappearance is felt :fouet:
but who am i to tell you to come back right?
thalla frasek :smiley:

Anyone has the long reply I posted here days ago? :hm:

Yes me ! lol :smiley:
here’s SimplyMoroccan’s post :D:D:D

Wa 3alaykom l-hello .

I really thought I had responded to this thread of yours long ago. People, I am getting old.

Mr7ba bik to the forum. It’s nice to have you among us. I really first thought that you were a Moroccan living abroad. I don’t get tired or reiterating my admiration for people who learn Darija without having family links with the country. Tbarkllah 3lik.
Without being indiscreet, what does your graduation with Arabic knowledge enable you to do there in ztazen? Are you going to teach languages? Be a translator?

Pour ton français, tu n’as qu’à commencer à l’utiliser aussi sur le forum, ça sera une bonne opportunité pour toi pour pratiquer la langue. Comme on dit on arabe classique: ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I smiled at Doqqi. I hear it only in movies. I might be able to help also with elmasri by the way, I love the dialect.

I definitely know IRCAM, are you familiar with their tashl7it transcription? Interesting if you don’t know how to write Tifinagh.
Bilingual education as in Arabic-French? Or you meant Arabic-Amazigh?
Anyway, feel free to start discussions on the forum, there are many people interested in Amazigh related topics here.

Will certainly get back to you if I need help with the forum, thank you

See you around.[/quote]

Yay! Thanks a lot Hiba, I appreciate it :).

you’re welcome SM :smiley:

WOAH, i see why SM insisted on getting this post of hers back, is that an essay or what? :smiley: Good job son! :slight_smile:

Bsmllah lr7mn lr7im

Tbrk llah tbrk llah! I really appreciate the answers, ouakha oua t3tlti chwiya ;)…i had given up hope (what are some ways we could say this expression in darija 3fik?)

Me either. In my case though I have 2 give it up 2 my familyof Tl3 Kbira Fes ou Salé…they are a part of my family and I miss them and think about them every day when I can’t see them. Which reminds me: if anyone knows anything or has any experience with something like this–[casablanca.usconsulate.gov/general_information.html or http://evisaforms.state.gov/] would you respond or send me a personal msg? i would appreciate it so much.

What could I translate faster or more accurately than someone like you SM (a seemingly native speaker of both English and Arabic)…remember too that I told you that my reading is painfully slow, coming from an era of Arabic education in hado ztaz ennui that is still just very basic, not many good teachers, graduates do not gain anywhere near a full grasp of the spoken or written components of even lfus7a, not 2 mention dialects. I have always thought that I am lucky to speak as well as I try to, despite my education ;). They don’t teach Arabic in high school here, just in university, so I would need an advanced degree to teach, and a native speaker’s accent as well in many cases I think…these are some of the hard realities I think many Americans who study Arabic realize later…at first they think oh I will get a high-paying or important position, but the reality…haha.

For me, learning the language is more for connecting with people, learning new things that have no ‘real use’ but make me laugh, becoming a more aware human citizen and more able to help others and live a good life. For this reason, I enjoy learning darija, 3miya, etc much more than lfus7a haha, though if I could reach the point where I can read Al Quran Al Karim in Arabic this would be like a life goal or a dream. And if this is how you feel, and if you have a lot of different stamps in your passport (Lebanon, Syria, half of an Israel stamp if you understand that, Mauritania, etc) then it can be hard to find someone who wants you to work with them over here wach fhmti.

I think that to learn a language without also learning culture, literature, people, food, philosophy, art, politics and the day-to-day reality is wrong, and it will be very difficult. I know many American students who have this viewpoint, or who think they can learn Arabic without ever leaving the United States…I worry a lot about this idea, and what these schools are creating.

ouaiiiii…c’est ça je sais, le difficulté pour moi c’est accès au le internet pour le moment; et temps…il n’ya pas de temps.

Doqqi, Mohandiseen, Agouza, Tlat Harb, Zamalek, Nadi el Gezira, Mdinat Nasr, Masr el Gedida…when you’re not there, the places take on a larger than life feeling…you see them in movies, in clips…there’s nothing like el Qahira in the whole world I don’t think…it’s pull is so strong that whole generations of people who have never been there have memories, associations, and assumptions toward it wink wink

Yeah I spent about a month learning Tifinagh despite my reservations and the best thing I can say about it is that it looks cool…I feel almost that this alphabet is a stone on the neck of any Amazighi attempts to internationalize their cause, their information, their struggle. I like the distancing from any colonial trappings, but it’s just not practical-- with literacy rates at the level they are in l3roub, how is adding another script going to help? I had a hard time sitting with air-conditioned academics sumptuosly writing archeology in Tifinagh on M6’s dime while there are so many needs sticking out like sore thumbs. Also I found too much beauracracy, to the extent that in 3 months, I really wasn’t even able to learn very much about IRCAM itself, much less who they were partnering with, which was my original interest. However, I know there is a lot there that I wasn’t able to take advantage of, and that I would still like to, and I think I just had a lot of unlucky breaks. I’m open to other perspectives.

And yeah, I was talking about the question of to educate young children or others in Tachel7it vs. Arabic, but any bi-lingual issues are of interest.

[quote=Lalla Aicha]achminfar9, your disappearance is felt
but who am i to tell you to come back right? thalla frasek[/quote]
7ta ana tou7ichtkom bzaf a Lalla Aicha! sm7i liya ou ana ghbrt
aww, i missed yall 2, a Lalla Aicha! sorry i disappeared, my semester was over ou my home ordinateur mat mot!

for the forum, ta7t amrik ya effendim lou fi ay haga

tbrk llah 3lekom ntchofo ou tla3, blchampoin :wink:

LOL welcome back assi, good to see ya! and with “effendim” do you mean what i think you mean? :^^:

m3rftch…chno hiya alalla?

i’m not sure…what do u think i mean alalla??

ps- i’m trying something new-- i want 2 try and write as many posts as i can in both darija and english…please help me and give corrections llah 7fdkom.

salaaaam akhayy,
the word “effendim” is actually derived from turkish, in turkish we say “efendim” to people we respect (literally: my majesty) … so here i think you’ve spoken in masry dialect which, as far as i know, contains countless turkish words due to the Ottoman Empire’s stay in Egypt. some pride

So here’s in short what we use efendim for:

• when someone says something which you didn’t hear/understand so you’d like them to repeat it, you would say “efendim?”
  • when an elderly/respectable person calls out your name, you respond with “efendim”, ie. “yes sir”
  • when having a dialogue with an older/high status person you say “efendim” rather than using their name.

So when an old woman calls my house asking for my mum, i respond “Efendim teyze?” - Yes aunty? :slight_smile: cough Momma’s girl indeed!

i know this seems awkward and you wouldn’t ever refer to someone as majesty, even if they’re the President, but it’s a form of respect in Turkish culture and i think it’s been somewhat inculcated into Egyptian culture, which really tickles my interest…

• I apologise for the essay, gotta get back to studying now, exams real soon :blink: *
    Bsalamaaaaa

ioua cooool…3rftaha klma turkia ou b7al ma 9olti, kaynin klmat turkia bzeid f l3mia lmasria…ou nst3mlo ‘effendim’ blmasri bdbt b7alkom f turkia kndon.

ou tbrak llah 3likom a otmanin, 3ndkom wa7d t9afa, lgha, tradition fania zouina bzaf

yeah cooool…i knew it was a turkish word but i forgot! and like u said, theres a lot of turkish influence in masri…we can use ‘effendim’ in egypt in the same contexts that u mentioned for turkey too!

and yeah u should have pride, only from what i have seen from what was brought 2 arab countries, it seems like u have a beautiful culture, language, and artistic tradition.

ioua ou kayn:

bi2- sir
bacha- sir
kobri??- 9ntra- bridge
ouda- ghorfa- room

and my personal favorites
makwagi- ironer
baltagi- it means a bully or a goon

hado lli 3rft ana, yalla chi wa7d/ wa7da zdna
ou bltoufi9 3la lmt7anat a Lalla!!!

those are the only ones i know or can think of…but theres a lot of others, someone give us some more!
and good luck on the tests Lalla!!!

I noticed that you sometimes take off more vowels that possible :^^:.
And hey, what happened to R being a solar letter? :fouet:
Bismillah rra7man rra7im.
(Hint, when taken from MSA, an expression keeps the maximum short vowels possible)

Ha ha! Ma t3etteltsh bzzaf! I answered, then the answer was lost in the mess, then Hiba kindly restored. At the end, you still have it. Who’s the lucky one?
I lost hope = Fqadt l2amal.

I might be able to help. I will not grant you a visa though.
Just ping me.

Thanks for the compliment. I am actually a native speaker of Berber and Arabic. English is my 4th language.

No, ma fhemtsh. Is is a treat now to be a global trotter?

Ce qui est difficile c’est de ne pas avoir accès à internet :p.
I am not a native, but let me correct a mistake of yours: au le internet --> à Internet/ à l’internet.

–> IRCAM and Tachel7it need a seperate thread…

:blink: Ma fhemtsh.