Slam w r7mat llahi w brkato

Sure, I just don’t feel sometimes comfortable intruding in discussion threads to correct Darija, so I mostly prefer corrections to be limited to the exercises forum. You can for instance post a discussion thread there to practice Darija, while speaking about a specific topic, and not minding correction interruptions.
Just a suggestion…

[quote=achminfar9]those are the only ones i know or can think of…but theres a lot of others, someone give us some more!
and good luck on the tests Lalla!!![/quote]
Move out of the way… here comes da Egyptian gal :^^:.
By the way, it’s bih not bi2.

Some nice Egyptian words:
3abeet = Magnoon, crazy.
7arami = thief
sawwa2 = driver
Ga3an = hungry
za3lan = mad/sad
Ghalban = poor
2amar = moon, but also a metaphor to mean beautiful, pretty.

There you go.

[quote=SM]I noticed that you sometimes take off more vowels that possible .
And hey, what happened to R being a solar letter?[/quote]
yea i guess i have been experimenting with some way i can write arabic in roman characters, but still keep some equivalent values-- like use ‘a’ only for ?, ‘ou’ only for ?, ‘i’ only for ?..as a non-native speaker it helps me keep the arabic spelling correct in my head! but i am realizing that some words just don’t look right without short vowels represented by a roman character…:hm:

9olt lik tla3 blchampoin, tn9olo

“tla3 fi rasik…blchampoin”

mara mara…3mrik ma sm3tich l3bara?

ahhh i have to go so i dont have time to try in darija, or to answer the rest until later, but MERCI BZAF ya SM for corrections it’s what i really need!!! bsa7 i can’t thank you enough… and please feel free, you can be mean-- zidni hadak chi --> :fouet: :fouet: :fouet: lol

hahahaha the fake quotes cracked me to pieces XD

good job achminfar9 :okay: looks like you’re taking the lead.

If it is a question of comfort, I hope anyone can feel comfortable to correct me at any time, but if it is an issue of forum ettiquette or organization, definitely I can understand.

Do you think that this would limit my (and probably some other non-native speakers’) ability to speak Darija within the forum to the exercises section only?..I have a goal is to be able to speak good Darija on every subject in the forum, not to speak in English about Darija or other topics, but I would hate to feel that some posts I might leave, with incorrect language or grammar, would go uncorrected at the expense of other people learning. Also I should add that I am not at all familiar with all the tools and tricks of how to use the forum, and so I don’t feel qualified to say what could or couldn’t be done on the forum.

[quote=Simpy Moroccan]Some nice Egyptian words:
3abeet = Magnoon, crazy.
7arami = thief
sawwa2 = driver
Ga3an = hungry
za3lan = mad/sad
Ghalban = poor
2amar = moon, but also a metaphor to mean beautiful, pretty.[/quote]
niiiice i like these, mazboot khalis yakhti…but weren’t we talking about turkish words in egyptian dialect–are all of these turkish :blink:?

sabri m3ia ya SM ri 3roubi ou francais diyali 9aliiiiil ga…

ce qui est difficile= what is difficult?

c’est de ne pas avoir= is to not have?

accès à internet= internet access?

is that a correct translation? ‘ce qui est’ and ‘de ne pas’; i don’t really understand these constructions :hm:

Oui, c’est correct monsieur. Bravo 3lik! :okay:

ce qui est = this that is… (what is…)

de ne pas avoir = not having

bs ana, 3ndi so2al: what does 9alil mean?

This can be our Egyptian thread :stuck_out_tongue: j/k

:blink::blink::blink::blink: few, little, small

why so shocked???
thanks.

because its a word he thought you should already know! 9alil, in masri it sounds like ‘aleel’, or sometimes they say ‘oolayeel’…for the same word, 9alil…crazy.

some more egyptian expressions off the top of my head…

ae da?- whats that

ya 3am, ya ragul, ya gda3-- all kinda like hey man

frakh- djaj aka poulet

akhbarak eh- wat is upppp, whats your news

haha i just love ya 3am xD it brings back so many memories… we had an Ethiopian dude in our class in high school who would always say “ya 3am”, he was born in Egypt, so that explains…

with ae da, i remember an expression “kol da eih da?” which means “what’s all this?”

magnoon/a = crazy < – mostapha amr has a song; bahebik moot ya magnoona, nice beat but a lil cheesy

ezayak = how are you?

shatora = smart but in the diminutive/diminitive form… i still don’t know how to spell that d word =S

akhbarak ehh is funny, i think syrians say Shou akhbarak, but akhbarak ehhh is definitely my favorite now… with emphasis on ehhhh :mdr:

Salaaaam wa khod balak 3ala nafsak… i think

ps: nice avatar, is that Avicenna? (ibn Sina)

yeah i thought it was high time i got my avatar game up HIGH…no its ibn khaldun!

hey i forgot a form of address that they use in masri that has some turkish in it-- bash mohandis…you can say it for sir to anyone, they dont have to be an engineer lol…but i think its a bit old school

mer7baaa! thanks for the long and informative intro :smiley: hope you enjoy yourself here

speaking of Egyptian phrases, i’ve just been to Iraq to see my relatives! and i have a little cousin who’s like 6 years old, and when he sees me, he sometimes wolf-whistles and says “eil 7alawa di?” :smiley: