Preparing for a year in Morocco...

Salaam wo 3aleikum!

I am a French-American from Chicago, and for the next year I will be preparing to spend an academic year in Morocco thanks to a scholarship from the Rotary foundation.

I speak French fluently, and I know some basics in derija. I spent a semester in Rabat in 2005, and I’ve studied fus’ha for a total of about two years.

I just came across this website today and I will be checking out the videos and the lessons.

What I would really love to find, though, is a language partner who speaks derija and who wouldn’t mind getting together for coffee (aou atay) once or twice a week to practice with me. Does anyone live in Chicago who can help me?

Hello and :welcome: Kathleen xD
I hope you’ll enjoy your time here

Have a good one & c ya around

ooohh i can move to chicago :stuck_out_tongue:

ps- welcome kat :slight_smile: have fun with us and ofcourse u’ll learn a lot of darija with us :slight_smile:

[quote=Tafoukt]Hello and :welcome: Kathleen xD

Have a good one & c ya around[/quote]
hahahah didnt know that ur so lazy hhhh u just replaced mouniatoune by kathleen wuahahah ur hilarious

[quote=Madridista][quote=Tafoukt]Hello and :welcome: Kathleen xD

Have a good one & c ya around[/quote]
hahahah didnt know that ur so lazy hhhh u just replaced mouniatoune by kathleen wuahahah ur hilarious[/quote]
Hahaha lol so what :stuck_out_tongue: its easier & faster xD

Welcome Kathleen
I hope you’ll find such person here, but if you didn’t you’ll find here alternate ways to learn darija, and on you tube there are many sources to hear darija from natives, or you can watch 2m or almaghribia if you have access to Nilesat on the satellite dish :slight_smile:

Welcome once again, and I hope you’ll enjoy your stay with us :slight_smile:

Lol fahimt, mashi mushkil sawdiqi.

I appreciate the welcome message–even if you say it to all the new members, sniff!

[q][quote=Gretchen]Welcome Kathleen
I hope you’ll find such person here, but if you didn’t you’ll find here alternate ways to learn darija, and on you tube there are many sources to hear darija from natives, or you can watch 2m or almaghribia if you have access to Nilesat on the satellite dish :slight_smile:

Welcome once again, and I hope you’ll enjoy your stay with us :)[/quote]
[/q]

Fikra jayida… http://www.2m.tv/video/ Ouf, mafahimtsh! :cry:

@ tafoukt
hhhhhhhhhhhh lazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy duuude where is my pringles :frowning:

@ kat
u mean sadi9i*

[quote=Kathleen_min_Chicago][q][quote=Gretchen]Welcome Kathleen

[/q]

Fikra jayida… http://www.2m.tv/video/ Ouf, mafahimtsh! :cry:[/quote]
you have to get used to hear this language anyway, even to its accents

btw, what about skype? I know a site where you can search for friends for language exchange, and there is a specific section for Moroccan Arabic. You can install the program, open an account, and search for a native moroccan friend to talk with online, what do you think?

I was preparing to say, me me me me, but when i read “in chicago” !! oops :flag:

listen…you go to answers.yahoo.com, ask a question in Morocco section (holidays & travel / north africa & middle east / Morocco), there are Moroccans there who live in the US, u might find a Chicagoan there. also ask in US section…

Good luck,

about this forum of course feel free to ask whatever u want :hat:

yeah thats a good idea gigi … it helps a lot , i used to teach a friend darija via skype … it helped her to know how can she pronounce some words

[quote=Gretchen][quote=Kathleen_min_Chicago][q][quote=Gretchen]Welcome Kathleen

[/q]

Fikra jayida… http://www.2m.tv/video/ Ouf, mafahimtsh! :cry:[/quote]
you have to get used to hear this language anyway, even to its accents

btw, what about skype? I know a site where you can search for friends for language exchange, and there is a specific section for Moroccan Arabic. You can install the program, open an account, and search for a native moroccan friend to talk with online, what do you think?[/quote]
'Nsit kayfesh kan9oulou “true” fi derija. Wo lakin, mushkil ma3ndsh internet fi dar. Al’an ana fi a3mel. (h’shouma 3li, a3rif…) Inshallah soon. I can only get so much done here in the office. I will work on that, though.

At this point my level of derija is so basic that i can barely tell the difference between accents. I do recognize fus’ha when I hear it. I’m a little rusty, though.

Wo lakin, mushkil ma3ndsh internet fi dar. Al’an ( use DABA its more darija ) ana fi a3mel( ana fl khedma ). (h’shouma 3li, a3rif…) ===> 7chouma 3lia , 3arfa *

@Madridista ! it’s not th eright time for correction now, she has another matter…

I haven’t tried it because I forget to buy a mic :roll: for languages I study cause it’s recommended by everyone that it’s the best idea to hear accents of any language…

[quote=Kathleen_min_Chicago]'Nsit kayfesh kan9oulou “true” fi derija. Wo lakin, mushkil ma3ndsh internet fi dar. Al’an ana fi a3mel. (h’shouma 3li, a3rif…) Inshallah soon. I can only get so much done here in the office. I will work on that, though.

At this point my level of derija is so basic that i can barely tell the difference between accents. I do recognize fus’ha when I hear it. I’m a little rusty, though.[/quote]
so stick with 2M to get used for darija accents, i may know the difference of accents since that I’m an Arab, but i think me too find difficulty with darija accents, so till you can open a skype account stick to 2M

huh? no comment :no:

@ gigi
lool yeah me too i lost my mic lol

@madridista, @paper bird

No, it’s very helpful for me! Now I remember daba–my friends taught me
Daba daba daba daba, tendem 3lia… :^^:

hahahhahahahh i hate that song … but its good to remember such word :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum, Kathleen.

Madridista did good by correcting Kathleen, I was actually preparing to do it myself. People come here to learn, so we welcome them with corrections from the first post ;).

Peeeeople, you’re supposed to make the girl stick to the forum, not send her away to yahoo or skype. 7chouma 3likom :fouet:
/Joke/

Lmohim, where are you going to study in Morocco, Kathleen? I haven’t met anyone from Chicago in the forum, but who knows, maybe some secret reader is from Chicago and might show up now.