Mr7bâ - Welcome

Dear forum members,
We are pleased today to launch the Tashl7it forum in SpeakMoroccan forums. Tashl7it and other Amazigh dialects being an important part of the Moroccan culture.
Coming soon: The Tashl7it version of the SpeakMoroccan website. Meantime, don’t hesitate to ask your questions in this forum.
I hope that you’ll learn loads with us here, and that you’ll have as much fun as ever.

Thanx a lot SM for this initiative !

That’s a good idea, I’ m so excited to learn Tashl7it:yes:
thank you SimplyMoroccan

Nice! It seems that we have many people already interested.

yayyyyy SM thanks so much walla ur a gun :wink: :smiley: jazakallah khir w barakallahu fiki a khtiii :smiley: to u and abdo for helping out

THANKYOU GUYS! this is so excitinggg :hap:
speaktachel7yt.com has a ring to it, don’t you think?! LOL :slight_smile:
but it won’t be like that, right? it will be a branch of speakmoroccan.com, oui?
well, whatever it is, I’M IN!

thnx 7biba SM! lah y khali lik s7i7tek!
xoxo

I’m sorry, but can you bear with this mrikani and explain the difference between Tashl7it, Berber, and Amazigh? I think Tashl7it and Amazigh are different kinds (dialects?) of Berber, but even if that’s right I’m not clear on the major differences.

My wife is from Meknes, and her family is spread between there and a town called Agouray. Many of her relatives speak “Berber”, but she does not. Knowing they are around Meknes, can you tell me which version of Berber they are probably using?

And if you know that, do you know where I can learn more about that version / dialect of Berber? I am committed to learning how to talk to my in-laws, even if my wife can’t! :^^:

hey malik :hap:
well, berber and amazigh are the same thing; it’s just that “berber” is the name given to them by the romans, and it stems from “barbaric”, so it’s pretty degrading :smiley: so they chose to call themselves “amazigh” which means “the free people”
tachl7yt is one of the moroccan amazigh languages, also known as “chel7”, and there are many more, which i don’t know, but i know an algerien amazigh people is kabyle, but again, there are more in algeria too :hap:
i hope i have cleared it, and if i am wrong, feel free, anybody, to correct me!
as for your in-laws, sorry i don’t know :smiley: i hope somebody else can help you, and hopefully the berber that they speak can be found around here :slight_smile:

also, what is “mrikani”? i think it sounds like the arabic word for “american”, is that what you’re saying? :smiley:

and hey, malik, i just done some wikipedia-ing, and it tells me that the official language of maknes is actually arabic :smiley:
but a “significant minority” of the meknes people are of riffi origin, and that would mean they talk tarifit berber :hap:
of course, they might not, but i guess if a lot of the meknes people are rif people, then it’s quite likely :slight_smile:
i hope it helps!

:lol: Yes, that’s what I mean. Maybe I should have transliterated it 'mrikani?

How do you pronounce Amazigh? Is it ah-ma-zeeg?

[quote=tukha]and hey, malik, i just done some wikipedia-ing, and it tells me that the official language of maknes is actually arabic :smiley:
but a “significant minority” of the meknes people are of riffi origin, and that would mean they talk tarifit berber :hap:
of course, they might not, but i guess if a lot of the meknes people are rif people, then it’s quite likely :slight_smile:
i hope it helps![/quote]
Hey, I use Wikipedia, but I didn’t see this. Can you send me the link? Shokran.

p.s. - The wife is home now, she says they are/speak Amazigh, and she pronounced it A-ma-zeer. She says Riffi is to the north and Tashl7it to the south, in Agadir. I’d still like that link, though. Thx.

i’m not actually sure how you pronounce it
i would have though ah-ma-zeeGH (the GH being the arabic sound, like a strong G, can’t explain) :smiley: but i don’t know!
so what language do they speak then, riffi or chel7?
as for the link, i used the french wikipedia, i’m not sure if you speak french, but here anyway:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meknes
under “Population” is where i read the info:
“…mais la majorité de la population de Meknès, des villages et villes avoisinants est d’origine berbère (majoritairement de l’Atlas, avec une minorité importante de Rifains)…”
hope that helps!

Merci. Je parle le francais un petit, mais tres mal.

it doesn’t look like it! :smiley:
well, we’ll be starting a learning french thread sooon, so come along :smiley:

wwooooooooow!!! i just found this new space in the forum…and it’s great…thanks SM! baraka allahu fik! :smiley:

This is so interesting !!

thanks a lot SM !! :D:D

[quote=Paperbird]That’s great…Tashel7it !! :hap:

My dad’s origins is from Warzazat, so i’m supposed to be half Shel7 or sth :roll: !! in the city of Casa, i’ve grown up & lived like 18 years in a building where all people were Shloo7, very nice folks but if i gather all the words i know in Tashel7it, they’d be like…10 words barely :blink: never bothered to learn it, cuz simply i didn’t need it, this is not an insult, but in my daily life i use Arabic to deal with arabs & amazigh people, & English for people all around the world…so there’ve been no reason requires me to learn Tashel7it…just like French. (i don’t talk french)

So probably this forum would be useful in lots of things :wink: Regards ![/quote]