Exercise 10 - What does this mean?

Bravo Lise for your courage. You had to come back to do this one ;).

Let’s sort this out. It’s important that you try with it first.
Gâl = To say. The infinitive form is also the one for “he did”. So gâl is also “he said”.
Gâlt : She said.
Lik – li/l = to, lîk = to you.
Jâb = To bring = He brought.
Jâbt = She brought.
Jîb = Bring! (Imperative, masculine singular) (Jîb liyyâ… = Bring me…)
Lîhâ – Like in “lîk”, the “ha” ending being for “her”: To her

So the sentence as a whole is: Amal told you to bring her 2 kg of apples. It can also be “Amal is telling you” or “Amal is asking you”.

Now we can move to Meriem’s sentece: mazâl mal9ito shi jomla tktbôha? (9 stands for q)

You guys haven’t yet found some/a jomla (my best guess is a female camel, but it is out of context) to write it?

Nice exercise and explanations.

My sentence:
shkoon kayrkb ljmel f ssif f ssa7ara? wesh maghadish ykun shms bzeff? kathm9

:slight_smile: That was a funny guess indeed, it cracked me up! [It’s okay, I am not making fun of you though] The female of camel is nâqa. You wouldn’t write a female camel, would you? You’d write a sentence instead!
Jomla = Sentence.
Very good translation of yours, you made it clear that you know it’s plural.
So the complete translation is: You guys still didn’t find any sentence to write?
You missed “still”, as it’s the translation of “mazâl” (= not yet)

Thanks. Keep up working on it :).

I will let someone else translate it. But I just have a question about “kathm9”, do you mean “isn’t that crazy?” ?

I give it a try for my first log-in!

Who ride a camel in summer in the Sahara? Will there not be a lot of sun?:cool:

[quote=Marilyn]I give it a try for my first log-in!

Who ride a camel in summer in the Sahara? Will there not be a lot of sun?:cool:[/quote]
Very good :). Well done, you got it right. Maybe the last word of khuk is meant to be “wash nta 7mq” = Are you crazy?
So now we have many advanced Darija speakers here, and not only lisec :).

Next sentence:
Lyôma mâ mshâsh wldî lelmdrasa 7ît fîh sskhâna.
[large]??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???[/large]

today I didn’t bring my child to school, he has fever.:smiley:

no, no I made a mistake!!!
Today my child ( or son ) didn’t go to school, he had fever.

I hope this is right???

Right, I am glad you corrected :). You could have edited your first post, without any problems. Well done! There is just one word missing for your translation to be prefect: “because” = 7ît.
Today my son didn’t go to school, because he has fever.

See, when you say wldî it can’t be but my son. It’s only when you use it in the plural (wlâdî) that you’re not sure if they are sons or children in both genders.

Next sentence:
KhâSSnî nmshî lssôq ghddâ, bâsh nrdd hâd SSbbâT. Jânî sghîr bzzâf.
[large]??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???. ??? ??? ???[/large]

Tomorrow, I have to go to the market, to ( change ) this shoes. They are too small.

I am really not sure about nrdd and jani

[quote=Marilyn]Tomorrow, I have to go to the market, to ( change ) this shoes. They are too small.

I am really not sure about nrdd and jani[/quote]
Marilyn, it’s your day :). That’s very good. It’s high time you told us where you learned all this Darija and how.
Nrdd is I return, change is bddl. Jânî is “it came to me”, meaning “I find it”.

Next sentence: (Tricky!)
Ana mâ 3ndîsh m3a TTyâb, 3ndî ghîr m3a lmâkla.
[large]??? ?? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ?? ???[/large]

Well, to be honest, I search a long time for a book to learn darija, and I found a professor of an university of Nijmegen ( Holland ) who wrote an exellent book ’ Marokkaans arabisch’
in dutch off course. I studied it be myself and I also told him about the blog ’ un mot de marocain par jour’
He was very happy with it and maybe he is using it now in his language centre in Rabbat…

and now I try the tricky one:

I don’t have the ( cooking ) with me, only the meal :hap:

It’s nice that you learned on your own. How did you do with the pronunciation? What’s that professor’s name? And by the way, why did you learn Darija? Are you married to a Moroccan?

Nice signature that you got there :).

And aha! I told you that was a tricky one…
Let me explain. When someone says “3ndî m3a”, it doesn’t mean what it’s literally translated to “I have with”, because that makes no sense. The expression rather means “I am skilled in/ I am good in/at”. By contrast, “mâ 3ndîsh m3a/ I am not good in/at” means “I am not skilled in”.

So the correct translation is:
I am not good in cooking, I am only skilled for eating. [I can’t really cook, I can only eat]

I had to take the level a little higher ;), I sometimes suggest tricky sentences.

Next sentence:
3ndi khdma ktîra, w mâ 3frtsh mnîn nbdâhâ.
[large]??? ??? ??? ? ?? ??? ??? ???[/large]

The professor’s name is Jan Hoogland, he is very nice!
He wrote also a dictionary maroccon - dutch, super!

I have his e-mail if you want it;

And now back to work:

I have a great work, I don’t now where to start

And thank you very mutch for all your help!

I just wanted to check his work online. I checked the transcription, and I find it a little bit complicated. The book cover is nice. Too bad I can’t read the book though :). But how did he learn Arabic? It’s impressive to be fluent in Darija to the extent of writing a book about it if not a native.

I’d prefer saying “a lot of work”. Apart from that, hats off again :). Can you read the Arabic letters too?

You’re welcome, I am here to help, so just work on Darija and you’ll find me here.

Next sentence:
Bdâ l7âl yskhn f lmghrib, walakin f sh-hr tmnya, ghâdî ykôn SShd bzzâf.
[large]??? ??? ??? ? ??? ? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???[/large]

Yes, the transcription is maybe a bit unlogical, but otherwise the book is great! There is also a cd with it and so I learn the pronunciation.

And now the new exercise:

In Maroc, the heat begins, but in August it will be very hot.

Sorry, if I write mistakes in English, after all this is my third language; darija my forth…

It’s okay for English :). If we count Darija as a language, and MSA as another separate one, then Darija is my 2nd, and English is my 5th.

And here is my translation:
It’s starting to be hot in Morocco. But in August, it will be very hot.
So yes, again you got it right :).

Next sentence:

3lâsh mâ bqâsh l3ssâs kayjî ykhdm f llîl?

[large]??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ?[/large]

Hint: If you don’t recognize a word, look for it in the vocabulary lists on our website.

ghani 3yana shwiya, yemken ghedda ghadi nerj3,
u had ljumla s3iba bzzaf!!

lila s3ida

[quote=Marilyn]ghani 3yana shwiya, yemken ghedda ghadi nerj3,
u had ljumla s3iba bzzaf!!

lila s3ida[/quote]
Sure, see you later then :). Ma s3îba wâlô, it’s very easy. Come back with a clearer mind, and you’ll understand it quickly.
One note about the prof’s transcription: It’s not illogical at all. I had seen the Peace Corps transcribe the same way. The aim is to present each sound with one letter only, so it’s X instead of the usual Kh, and so on.

Even with a clear mind, I am not at all sure:

Why didn’t he stay ( 3sass?) to go working at night?:neu:

You almost got it :). If you check the jobs and careers’ list on the website, you’ll see what 3ssâs means: Guardian.
So:

[quote]3lâsh mâ bqâsh l3ssâs kayjî ykhdm f llîl?
??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ?[/quote]
Translation: Why doesn’t the guardian work at night anymore?

Mâ bqîtsh = I no more…
Mâ bqâsh = He no more…

Next sentence:
ïlâ mâ jîtîsh 3ndî dâbâ, mâ 3mmrnî nhdr m3âk mâzâl.
[large]??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ???[/large]

Other members are also invited to participate with Marilyn :).