Salam :-)

Hello, everyone. I came across this site while searching for phrases and such that I can practice. I recently married a Moroccan woman, and she absolutely loves it when I attempt(I stress the word ‘attempt’) to speak Moroccan. Her mother is visiting from Morocco so I have to impress her as well :slight_smile:

I hope I can learn a lot from all of you, inshAllah :slight_smile:

Jan

Welcome gsabadboy76, mbrook on the marriage (congrats!) :slight_smile:

I’m sure you’ll learn HEAPPPPPSSSS here, and show off as much as you want to both your wife and her mum :slight_smile:
Good luck and see you around.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah moroccans love to hear darija from foreigners :smiley:
welcome to SM … and im sure that ull learn many things here with us :wink:

Yes that’s what my wife keeps telling me. Every time she giggles, I’m not sure if it’s because she likes it, or that I sound like a complete idiot :slight_smile:

Hello gsabadboy76!

Welcome! :wink:

hahaha Don’t worry you are not alone being a funny one :^^:
But really guys always help alot with learning darija…

See you !

I have a couple questions. 1) Though the transliteration seems thorough, I’m quite sure my pronunciation is not all that accurate. Does anyone know of a good resource to gain a solid pronunciation foundation? 2) I’ve noticed that since darija is a dialect, spellings are frequently different. How can I be sure I’m even spelling something correctly, or does it really matter that much?

Shokran bezzaf!

gs, im sorry i can’t answer your first question for you because i don’t know where and with whom you could develop a solid pronunciation… maybe some of the members here can offer to privately help you with that. coming to your 2nd question, i would say practice practice practice… and as long as you spell a word in a way that is phonetically sound, then you’d be comprehensible. i think there are several popular ways of spelling one word, u just need to look out for them, example: you’d see people say “chukrane, choukran, choukrane, chukran, chokran, chokrane, shukran, shokran etc.” and they are all used to say “thanks”… it really changes from person to person, region to region, education background etc. i personally interchange them, as long as people understand what you’re saying it’s fine.