salam everyone

i have just recently joined
19 year old student nurse
from london, i am just beginning to learn darija. :smiley:

Wa alaykum Salam. Welcome!

wassalam hamerah and welcome to the forum, if you don’t mind me asking; what’s your background?

enjoy :smiley:

MonPaysMarOc :

It’s no problem i am happy to answer anyone’s questions

i was born and live in london but my background is pakistani :wink:

what about yourself, if you don’t mind me asking?

Hamerah xx

wa3alaykom essalam !

mr7ba bik Hamerah !

:welcome:

[quote=Hamerah]MonPaysMarOc :

It’s no problem i am happy to answer anyone’s questions

i was born and live in london but my background is pakistani :wink:

what about yourself, if you don’t mind me asking?

Hamerah xx[/quote]
wow, great!

i’m turkish :smiley: but i was born and still living in australia, unfortunately. where’s my superman to rescue me? :sman:

salaam x

Welcome to the Darija forum, Hamerah. I was wondering what your nickname refers to, at first sight. So what does Hamerah mean in Urdu?

See you around!

To SimplyMoroccan

My name has many problems as people dont know where it originates from

it was meant to be on the lines of humera, humairah but its not its hamerah thanks to my mum, it has no meaning in urdu! but my moroccan friends call me by the pronounciation of amirah which to my knowledge means princess so i go along with this meaning!

Humairah, Humayrah { Of reddish complexion; nickname the Prophet (P.B.U.H) gave to his wife Aishah}

Humera {The imaginary bird who soars the highest}

What is your name if you dont mind me asking?!

Ah ok, Amira sounds nice. :slight_smile:
Call me SM, I don’t actually like to use my name here, so SM is fine ;).

Wakha SM

nice to meet you, do you know how i can change my username?

I answered you in the other topic.

HEy humaira!
Welcome to Speakmoroccan!
Enjoy!

Assalamu Alaikum Hamerah,

Regarding your name, the spelling which your mother chose for you actually means, with a little bit of adjustment on the pronunciation, ‘red’, as in the color red. It is an adjective, and grammatically, it is feminine. The problem I suspect that you run in to with Arabic speakers is two-fold. First, an unfortunate number of them are unaware that the Prophet, peace be upon him, did actually give his wife, Aicha, the nickname, ‘Humaira’, which means something like, ‘my beloved little red-one’. Secondly, the fact that the word for, ‘donkey’, which is an insult which one would direct at an imbecile, is very closely related to the word for ‘red’ and ‘my little red one’, (it is most closely approximated in English by the spelling, ‘hamaar(a)/himaar(a)’) complicates matters. Surely none of your friends wants to call you by a name which another person might confuse for an insult.

My sister-in-law’s mother in law (may she rest in peace) bore the name ‘Humaira’ as well, and she was from Bangladesh. I have a friend from Pakistan who is also named Humaira, by the way. I have never come across an Arab with that name. One of my daughters is red headed, and I use ‘Humaira’ as a nickname for her, which often times elicits disapproving looks. I use those opportunities to tell them about Aicha’s nickname.

Another name that people would be well advised to consider carefully before bestowing it upon a child would be, ‘Ariana’. I know a little girl of Afghani background who bore this name. It apparently means, ‘Afghanistan’ in their language, but it sounds awfully close to the word for ‘naked’ in Arabic. When that child reached fourth or fifth grade she insisted on changing her name due to the teasing she received upon the tongues of other children. Kids can be so mean to one another.

For those of you considering naming a boy, ‘Anas’, I would like to caution you that there is an anatomical word in English which refers to the private parts which sounds an awful lot like the Arabic name, ‘Anis’. Just a word to the wise.

Have a nice day everyone!

Wa alik salam ummaryam99

chokran jazeelan for your post.

My mother’s intention was good but just a slight spelling error, confuses others,

my good moroccan friends pronounce my name as Amira which i love.

and my family shorten my name to merah, which is cute but has no meaning.