Salam everyone!!Please help me with a short translation!!!

I just got back from morocco!!!I loved it. I need help with a translation. Here it is:

Salam. Labas lmohim ana rah tzwjt nhar sabt nsaani omabkach tklmni tilifon.

I know the last word is telephone. Can anyone help?

Hello ginagourmet, and welcome to SpeakMoroccan.

Here is what your message said:

Hello. I am fine. Anyways, I got married on Saturday. Forget about me, and do not call me anymore.

Lmohim = What’s most important, but usually used as “anyways”. I translated it as so in the message, but here it actually would mean something like “I’d like to let you know that…”.

Voilà.

:cry: meskina gina!!! thallay f rask, gina l3aziza , busa kbira

Er… Well actually, the message was written by a girl to a guy. So if Gina was the one the message was addressed to, then he is a guy, not a girl.
Just for you Abeer to change the conjugation of your sentence :).

ops:S:huh:
hhhh:D
chukran

WOW! Do you really think the message was from a girl to another girl or from a man to a girl?

Well, the message was certainly sent to a guy, according to the conjugation. I just guessed it was a girl writing it, I didn’t imagine a guy would write to another guy to “break up” because he got married.

Nsaani
Nsânî = Forget me, talking to a guy.
Nsâynî = Forget me, talking to a girl.

Omabkach
O mâ tbqâsh… = And don’t you (m.s)…
O mâ tbqâysh… = And don’t you (f.s)…

Does it make sense to you?

Thanks. I think the message was from the wife of a man I met in Morocco.(I am a woman) The man I met in Morocco told me he was not married. He also knows that I don’t speak or read Arabic. Maybe he lied to me and she got a hold of his phone and sent me the message. Do you think that is what happened?

No, it doesn’t make sense. If the wife sent you the message, she’ll pretend she is the man and the message would be addressed to a woman. But the message is obviously sent by a woman to a man.
Was that the first time you received a message from that number? Maybe you received it by mistake? Maybe you got a girl’s number mixed up with a guy, and that girl happens to think you were someone else? I can’t tell. You can figure out from the context… But as I said, the message was not from a woman to a woman, but from a woman to a guy.

Hi again, Sorry to bother you. The man in Morocco had 2 cell phones. This is the exact msg that came to me…

Salam gina Labas lmohim ana rah tzwjt nhar sabt nsaani omabkach tklmni tilifon.

Do you think that he sent the message to me and just is uneducated about grammar. According to what you wrote you think it was sent by a woman to a man. It either has to be from a woman to woman or man to woman. Which is more likely?

Neither. It’s addressing a MAN. This has nothing to do with grammar, we don’t learn Darija grammar with lessons like here in the website, it all comes naturally as it’s a spoken language. No one would speak to a woman with a masculine conjugation. In Fez, they would speak to men with feminine conjugation because it’s part of the way they speak. But I don’t see any explanation at all for why HE would send YOU (a woman) this message.

Maybe his wife knew some guy whose name was close to Gina, and she meant to send the message to him. Very intriguing.
By the way, did you call that number? I mean in regard of the person telling you not to call again…

I’ve learnt from a book, that there is not a different form for you (f.) and you (m.) so maybe that is a local difference and in his region they don’t make that difference.

I did not call the number again. It is 10 at night there and I don’t speak Arabic, only some French so I have trouble understanding. Do you think I should call the number? How do I say “Did you send me the message or Hannan?” in Arabic.

Er… what? What about nti (f.s) and nta (m.s)? And all the conjugation differences that go along with them?
Maybe what you read is about some type of verbs, those ending with alif for example:
(Nta/nti) mshiti = You went.
(Nta/nti) kliti = You ate.
Etc.
Other than that, I don’t see what you mean. Maybe you can scan that page and share it with us?

I still stick to my point :).

In my book (Harrell A Basic Course of Moroccan Arabic) it says that for nta/nti in the prefect he ending is -ti and in the present it begins with t- and there is no ending. I don’t have a scanner. The book makes at no point a difference between nti/nta just that you wouldn’t say nti to a men.

I meant if you called prior to receiving the message, since the message was sent to ask you to stop calling.
The guy can’t understand English? How did you communicate before?
You didn’t know he got married but you know the name of the girl he got married to? :roll: This is too confusing!

It’s just 9h25 pm in Morocco right now, it’s not too late to call. You can probably manage to say “shkôn Sîft liyyâ message/SMS? Nta ôlâ Hanan?”, but can you transcribe the answer you get back to understand it?

You can send it as an SMS otherwise.

As I said, the -ti ending is specific to just a category of verbs, like those ending with A, and yes, just in the perfect. As for the present continuous, here are some examples:
You are walking --> M.S : Kattmsh-shâ. F.S = Kattmsh-shây.
You are reading --> M.S : Katqrâ. F.S = Katqrây.
You are eating --> M.S : Katâkol F.S = Katâklî.
You can check other sections of the book for the conjugation :), and let me know.

Thanks for helping me. The man I met told me he had a girlfriend named Hannan and that he was not very happy with her. He said he would probably marry her anyway sometime in the future. I was traveling there for a few weeks and we became good friends. This morning I sent him an SMS msg in French asking if I should call or SMS. He responded “Send email.” Shortly after I received the SMS msg that said - Salam…gina…What do you think?

Well probably he wanted you to keep in touch by e-mail where she can’t see. But then, somehow she figured out about you and he tried to convince her that you’re a guy ^_^, and sent that SMS in front of her… But why would a guy tell a guy “nsani”?

I know, it sounds too cheesy. Just send him an e-mail and ask for explanations, and let us know.

As I said, the -ti ending is specific to just a category of verbs, like those ending with A, and yes, just in the perfect. As for the present continuous, here are some examples:
You are walking --> M.S : Kattmsh-shâ. F.S = Kattmsh-shây.
You are reading --> M.S : Katqrâ. F.S = Katqrây.
You are eating --> M.S : Katâkol F.S = Katâklî.
You can check other sections of the book for the conjugation :), and let me know.[/quote]
I’m done there with the conjugation of perfect and the durativ. It said there everywhere that no matter with category of verbs always -ti ending for the perfect and that the forms you posted for m. Sg. of the durativ are also for f. Sg.