Salaam min Hoolanda

Assalamu alaykum,

I am a new member from The Netherlands. I am originally turkish so I also speak its language (that makes learning new words in Arabic a little easier!). I am a law student but i will also start stuyding Arabic languages and cultures at university officially from september 1st on. I am learning standard Arabic for a couple of years now. Though the level i have reached is not that high, it makes learning a dialect a lot easier. I want to learn Arabic dialects, for now Egyptian and Moroccan. Both are also taught at university. But the reason why I want to learn Moroccan Arabic is that there is a big community of Moroccans here and I think it will be fun to be able to speak them in Darija. Besides that, I just love to learn Arabic.

Ma3assalamah

Hey Zeynelabidin, and marhaban among our community. I guess it is always a little frightening to arrive in a world, though only virtual, and not knowing anybody. Two or three days ago, I have been told welcome by everybody, and this is very nice.
So, welcome again and good learning!

Mar7ba bik Zeynelabidin! :slight_smile:

Shukran lakuma! :slight_smile:

3alaikom salam.

:welcome: Zeynelabidin. :hap:

Ahlan wa mar7aba Bik

Wa 3alaykom ssalam, Zeyenlabidin. Merhaba ;).
You know what your nickname reminds me of? The Tunisian president :D.
So basically you speak: Turkish, Dutch, English, and MSA? It’s interesting to hear how learning MSA makes it a little bit easier for people to learn dialects. Most people worry about getting confused because of moving from an official language to dialects. At worst, you’ll sound very classy if you use an MSA word, that’s no harm!
Do not hesitate to ask even about Egyptian, I assume I can help with that too :hap:.
As for Darija, get on practicing, and see you in the exercises forum :).

By the way, there is no such thing as dual in Darija. So in this context you should have said: Shukran likom bjôj. :hap:

[quote=SimplyMoroccan]Wa 3alaykom ssalam, Zeyenlabidin. Merhaba ;).
You know what your nickname reminds me of? The Tunisian president :D.
So basically you speak: Turkish, Dutch, English, and MSA? It’s interesting to hear how learning MSA makes it a little bit easier for people to learn dialects. Most people worry about getting confused because of moving from an official language to dialects. At worst, you’ll sound very classy if you use an MSA word, that’s no harm!
Do not hesitate to ask even about Egyptian, I assume I can help with that too :hap:.
As for Darija, get on practicing, and see you in the exercises forum :).[/quote]
Merhaba :slight_smile:

Ah didn’t know Tunisia had a president with that name. I got my nick from a book on Islamic History, I guess it was the name of a Shiite imam. So it’s not my real name.

Well I am not that good at speaking MSA, but I can converse in it and also read simple texts.

It is a much debated issue, from what I have seen. What to learn first? A dialect or the formal language? The university I will study at teaches MSA in the first year and Egyptian dialect in the second, while another university teaches only Egyptian dialect in the first year and MSA in the second. There are different opinions on what to learn first. But I am not in the position to make that choice, since I have already learnt a good deal of MSA.

But I have to admit that I find the pronunciation of the Moroccan dialect very difficult! Seems so hard to learn.

I am not learning Egyptian at this moment, but if I ever need help in the future I will ask. For now I want to concentrate on the Moroccan dialect, since I will already learn Egyptian at university next year and also spend a semester in Caïro.

Bslama…

By the way, there is no such thing as dual in Darija. So in this context you should have said: Shukran likom bjôj. :hap:[/quote]
Shokran! :slight_smile:

Also want to add that I was ignorant of the amount of French that is used in The Maghreb. I guess I should rebegin learning French. :slight_smile:

Wa 3alaykom ssalâm, Mar7ba bik Zeynelabidin :cool:

We can help with that too - you’re in the right place to learn languages - our community gathers people from the whole planet !

Feel free to ask if you have any question, even if it seems to be a silly one (I do that all the time) :wink:

oh onc’kamel! it’s not true!
And I remember a quotation about that: “Celui qui pose une question risque cinq minutes d’avoir l’air bête, celui qui ne pose pas de question restera bête toute sa vie”
(je crois que c’est un proverbe chinois)

:slight_smile:

Shokran Shokran :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum

Mar7ba bik Zeynelabdin ! :welcome:

mar7ba zeyn :slight_smile:
hope you’re enjoying your time here and benefitting :smiley:
i can’t help much with the darija, i’m a learner tooo :stuck_out_tongue: but the french, i’d love to …
i’m not french-speaking, but i’ve been studying it for 7 years, and you’re right, they use it LOADS in the maghreb !! that’s one of the things i love about them :lol:
anyway, if you need anything, i’m around :hap:

heyy !!
Welcome! :slight_smile: