New Kid On The Block

HI my Name is Muneeb from Pakistan… Born in Morocco and live in saudi Arabia. I have been to Morocco when i was a kid but i hoping to return again for my vacation this year. My goal is to improve my Darija Vocabulary, I am really thankful for this forum which is very much helping me achieve my goal…

:ok: :ok:

Welcome to the forum, Muneeb. We’ll be glad to assist you with Darija, and help you become a fluent Darija speaker :).
I saw in the other thread that you don’t consider yourself a fluent Arabic speaker, didn’t you learn it while in KSA?
See you around in the forum.

HEyy !!
welcome to the forum!!

Well i can understand Arabic when it is spoken. The fact is that i dont use it in daily conversation. other then that i watch Arabic TV channels such as mbc 1 and 2M regularly.

But i find Darija Arabic different and very much interesting and a must learn.

:^^:

You didn’t study in an Arabic school in Saudia Arabia?
And well, at least you know your mother tongue, Urdu. So you mean you never went to Karachi nor Lahore? I assume you’re from one of these :hap:. [Just like some foreigners think that if you’re Moroccan, then you’re either from Casa or Rabat]

Well, I’m as much a newbie here as you, but I’ m going to tell it anyway :
Mr7ba bik Muneeb! :slight_smile:

Mar7ba bik Muneeb ! :welcome:

In Saudi Arabia foreigners have there own schools different then the Saudis. so i have gone throught british curriculum. same for my university studies.
well let me break the ice … My mother tongue is not urdu it is Arabia because my mom is Moroccan. and My dad is Pakistani . :blink:

Strange as it may sound… wanted to know any other other people crossed cultured like me ? :roll:

I believe that it’s such a waste to be in a country and not speak its language! You got everything you need to speak like a native.
I don’t know anyone exactly like you, with Moroccan and Pakistani origins, but Moroccans marry with diversified nationalities, so you’re not very unique if that’s what you’re thinking :smiley: (Joke). I mean, we have recently Asiem who joined us: She is from Kazakhstan and her husband is from Morocco. And there is rotry whose mother tongue is Spanish (we don’t know yet where he is from) and who is proposing to a Moroccan girl. Then we have this lady, Ayita, from Puerto Rico and she is engaged to a Moroccan, and many many more. See?

Firstly i would thank people for welcoming me,and also welcome others who joined us recently. I agree with you. living in saudi arabia one should know how to speak arabic will enough to communicate with others. well i wouldn’t say i dont know arabic, i do. but there is a big difference between darija arabic and arabic we speak in the gulf lets take the example of

how are u ? = Kî dâyr? (M.S)
may i speak to … = Hmmm You mean over the phone? You’re calling to speak to Amal for example, then you ask “is Amal there?” = Kâyna Amal?.
how is everything ? = Kol shî bîkhîr?

this is how i would have said it…:^^:

how are u ? = Kafa halouk
may i speak to … = Hmmm You mean over the phone? You’re calling to speak to Amal for example, then you ask “is Amal there?” = . halli an kalam Amal ?
how is everything ? = kafa yatam kol shay

the point is there is a big difference between arabic we speak here and darija. if i where to speak darija here no one would understand me… i remember there was a contestant on star academy from morocco who cried because she could understand the arabic being spoken… :cry:

The examples you gave are plain MSA, and not the Saudi dialect. Isn’t how are you “sho ssalfa” in Saudi Arabia?

Are you talking about Hanan? She was an exception! Not being able to understand what others say, when it’s all about dialects of Arabic, is to me an absurd idea. I always hated it when Moroccans speak other than Darija on TV (mainly TV reality shows), while they could just stick to Darija like Tunisians do all the time, and they will still be understood.

I agree with SimplyMoroccan when I used to watch khaleeji series a long time ago I didn’t understand most of what they were saying but now I do because I’m used to it :slight_smile:

I think Moroccans, Algerians…etc should speak their own dialects so we could get used to it :smiley:

I think in saudi dialect they use kef al7al, shakhbarek, shlonek too for “how are you” :smiley:

Shlonesh is used in Kuwait, no? They pronounce the K ending as Sh. I would love to be able to clearly distinguish what’s said in where. Right now, I can understand mostly everything, but I can’t tell right away what country is that when I find a movie on TV for example.
I think that sho ssalfa is rather like: what’s up! I hope that we get more people from the middle east with us to educate us more :D.

we can also say … how are you Fahd today ? in saudi dialect " kafaaq ya Fahd Al youm" in Kuwaiti dialect "shno nak ya Fahd al youm?

there are different ways you can say one sentence depending on each country…
coming back to star academy… lets not forget Shada Hassoun another unique person, Moroccan mother/ Iraqi Father

:ok: :ok:

A star academy fan? :hap:
So yes, as I told you, Moroccans marry from different countries. Shada lived here in Morocco all her life, and she never went to Iraq, but once on TV she didn’t speak but Iraqi. Even on the phone with her mom, in the show, she spoke Iraqi while her mom spoke Darija. I didn’t like that :p. But this year, Diaa spoke Darija most of the time, especially with her Algerian and Tunisian friends, and that was cool. I especially liked it when she made them all say something in Darija while supporting the voting for her.

[quote=SimplyMoroccan]Shlonesh is used in Kuwait, no? They pronounce the K ending as Sh. I would love to be able to clearly distinguish what’s said in where. Right now, I can understand mostly everything, but I can’t tell right away what country is that when I find a movie on TV for example.
I think that sho ssalfa is rather like: what’s up! I hope that we get more people from the middle east with us to educate us more :D.[/quote]
ya the ch istead of the K is used around the gulf countries

shou essalfah means whats the problem

A better translation for whats the problem ?
ash Mush kela ? :neu:

yep!
they use that too

Moshkila = Problem. It’s one whole word :hap:.
And ash is plain Moroccan. In the gulf it’s eesh or sheno.

Thanks for the confirmation, MarocRulz.