ka + verb, makes a difference if without ka?

Yeah, lol right, that’s y I put a question mark next to it, I thought too I’m inclining. But first I wrote “jaw” and it came out like “air/atmosphere” u know.

Alright i was making sure about the oum thing, we dont add it too btw.
& thanks alot 4 the note about nta & nti, they’re always mixed up for me…

chokraN :slight_smile:

yeah but i think for the air its “ljew”

About the use of ka- it’s told and known how it gives to verbs the continuous tense (and ta- is not past!).

But when we use ka- with the verb “bga”, it’s special. Because “bga-ibgi” have two meanings: “to want” and “to love” and when we use “bga” as “to want”, we always do in past: “I want a cofee” --> “Bgi-t shi qahwa”. When we use as “to love”, we do with ka- and the object: “I love her” --> “Ana ka-n-bgi-ha”.

I don’t know why, but it works like this…

Excuse my english… and my darija! (I’m a catalan speaker learning darija)

Past rules simplificated:

ana -----t
ntina ----ti (yeah, i learn darija in Tangier)
hwa ----
hiya ----(e)t
7na -----na
ntuma —to
homa ----o

The problem is not the ending, nearby always regular. The problem is how you fill the “----” space, because of the changing of vowels inside the word in a lot of verbs, as in the exemples you wrote: kla, ja, msha, qra or qal, shaf… Others does’nt change: sma3, hdar…

You always have to know the 3rd person form for perfective and imperfective, like: “msha - imshi”, or “ja-iji”. Then you know if it changes the vowel (for all the persons in the past except the 3rds persons) or if it does’nt change (“fta7 - ifta7”).

Moroccans are persuaded that darija is not a language, it’s only a dialect, so there is not rules because it does not exist a grammar for it. But that’s not true. I don’t know if moroccan darija is a language or a dialect (nobody knows, by the way), but there is always grammar if there is comprehension between speakers. So, it can be explained.

madrid, sorry the marrakchi i spoke to wasn’t authentic

@ LA
duuude u must talk to a merrakchi boy , they r so funny

@ouazzani

welcome to the forum …
well , ‘’ ka ‘’ in ur example isnt used only when ‘‘bgha" means love , i can say ‘’ ana kanbghi dima 9hewti bla sokkar’’
so yeah , no rules for darija :smiley: it needs practice i think

ps- we r gonna have fun here :stuck_out_tongue: me gustan los catalanes :roll:

Madrid, been there done that, conclusion = not happy

Ouazzani, thanks for your detailed explanation, I appreciate it :slight_smile:
But you know what? Personally, I feel that my real problem is that I already know Arabic, and have some info about Arabic dialects of other Arab countries. U know I’m, like, have an idea about the big things while the littlest things turn everything upside down…unfortunately…

I just have a comment about the following:

Arabic is the language, comes from it other dialects like darija, shami, masri, khaliji…etc. What I think is that if I can make a simplified rule, disregarding exceptions as a start, of my own dialect, so the same can be applied to darija cause it’s a dialect too. And so far actually I’m happy that I tried to make some points (no rules) to follow. Thanks too all your help :slight_smile:

Yeah, ok, you are right, madridista, you can say "ana kanbghi dima 9hewti bla sokkar’’, but it sounds not very usual to me, because you are using “to want” as “to like” (that’s a little like “to love”:^^:).

The point with the verb “bgha - ibghi” is that usually we say it in past tense meaning a present (The waiter ask to the customer: “Shinnu bghiti”, never:" Shinnu ka-t-bghi") . So, when you want to mean the past for this verb, you have to put ka- before it. So, if you try to use it in present continuous tense (strange situation), you are forced to put some word like “diman”, or you are really saying “I love…”

You know what they tell about catalans :save: Moroccans say that we are Souassa from Spain :wink:

i agree with u
and loooooooooooool about soussa dial spania

Gretchen:
There is no agreement about what is a language and what is a dialect, so who can tell if darija is a language or a dialect? Of course it came out of arabic. But it have a high % of tamazight grammar, fonetics and lexic. A high number of lexic and fonetics from french and spanish, and yet a lot more of non-arabic elements in it. Some speciallists think that morocan darija is a language, not a dialect. The point is: What makes we call “language” a dialect? Speciallists does not agree. Some say that when two speakers of the same supposed language doesn’t understand between them, they are speaking diferent languages. That occurs between a Syrian and a Moroccan, but it’s supposed that they speak the same language, but different dialects. Some say that a language is a dialect with army. Polithics have a lot to say to linguistics. The tamazight language it was officialy a dialect in Morocco until the king gave it the status of language some years ago.

What I mean before is that if you ask to a moroccan “¿How do we construct the past in darija?”, even if he is an arabic student in university, they usually think a little bit and say: “There is no past rules in darija; darija is a dialect, not a language. So, no rules”. What’s wrong about it is that “there are no rules”. Because there are. All the languages and dialects have it. We have only to think about to extract some of them. Well, ther are also some darija grammars that help :wink:

ouaz…
u r right again , but about the past construction in darija , i think we can have groups of verbs that has the same way to conjugate them
but a general rule :open_mouth: with few exceptions … malk f jenna hhhhhhh

about the expression above ‘’ malk f jenna " it means :
well the translation is ‘’ u think ur in heaven " , and it means that , we can find perfections only in heaven
and its used also to express ‘’ no way "

an example :

LA : this year barça is gonna beat RM 3-0
MAD : malk f jenna ?? hhhhhhhhh

Yeah I agree with you Ouazzani that it’s so difficcult to say the difference between a language and a dialect.
& what you said about Darija that it contains alot of non-Arabic elements almost apply to other Arabic dialects. Every language isn’t pure in itslef, if that with language, imagine with dialects :slight_smile:

Anyway, before I asked that “rule” question I put myself in Moroccan’s shoes, if someone asked me about simple rules to follow of language I studied, would I know?, yes! Alright, lets ask them. Wasn’t a test btw don’t worry, just want to make things easy for me, cause as I’ve said littlest things turn everything upside down to me, only me, eh?

Again, I’ve found that rule, so I wasn’t looking for sth absurd…walahi :smiley:

Thanks Ouazzani for such fruitful argument :slight_smile:

I think the big difference between those who speak arabic, french, english… and those who speak darija is that darija is not teached in schools.

I work with children in moroccan madaris, and wow! hard to them: Most of them speak darija at home, and they usual life is in darija. They begin school with arabic and french. The important papers are in these two languages -that none of them is their mother tongue-. If they read something is in arabic or french (always important things are wroten: news, bills, certificates, anouncements…). And what’s best: almost the half of the populatin in morocco don’t have darija as mother tongue. They have tamazight!!!

So, I don’t understand how they -you- moroccans don’t become crazy.

Iden, if somebody ask me for a rule in catalan, I only have to think and try to remember not the rule, the paradigma, so I extract the rule or say: “No way, dude, I was ill this day at school!” But I never would think to say: Oh, catalan have no rules…

So, the best teacher I found in Tangier is a man who works as a guardian of a building at nights. He is old, he don’t speak spanish, or french, or english or arabic. He can’t write or read. But he is clever, have the time and like to talk.

With him, kmi w tkimma w shuf shinni temma… and words come easy :crazy:

Madridista:

I didn’t know this expression: malk f jenna. Thanks!

I used to say instead: Itaq illah!, but I noticed it was a little bit… I don’t really know, moroccans are always surprised when a gauri like me uses some kind of expression like this. F7al:

A - I think this year Real Madrid it’s gonna win the cup…
B - Itaq illah!!! Sha 3ndek ntina, l’3yel? Shut doqmek skut! :hit:

hahhahahahahahahhaa yes true we r always surprised when a gawri speaks darija , coz its even hard for moroccans ( i mean those who have tamazight as a mother tongue)

NB : for darija learners , doqmek = ur mouth , in the northern darija
and they use instead of " nta " “ntina” (which always offends us :s )

Wallah, l7abib! DbsSa7 ntina makat3chbekchi lTanjawa nqulo-lek “ntina”? W 3alach ah, khawa? hadi l-Tariqa dyalna… :^^:

wa yeaaaaah hadik tari9a dialkom , w kan7tarmha , walakin fach chi tanjawi kaygoli ntina katjini b7ala kaygoli nta bent wla nta gay :s

lol

[quote=Madridista]LA : this year barça is gonna beat RM 10-0
MAD : I totally agree duuuuude[/quote]
:smiley: