Just saying hello,introductions.

Hello, I am an american woman who has met a Moroccan man online and he has told me that he wants to marry me and have me come there to live with his family. As most people are skeptical of online relationships and there is so much bad publicity about people marrying for entrance into America I have heard lots of negative comments regarding our relationship. I do not know how Moroccan men are except for what I know about him and I would like to learn more so I can proceed wisely with this relationship or decide if I should not pursue it. I am ignorant of Moroccan culture, religion, and customs. I do speak some american educated french but certainly this is not good enough for me. I also would like to get to know some Moroccan ladies if there are some here and to learn about what is expected of married ladies in Morocco-and their husbands as well. I have lots of questions as is probably normal. I look forward to meeting some of you (online of course) and as for real life…who knows, maybe. I am glad this site is here.

Hello Rina. That’s such a lovely name :slight_smile:
As we don’t know much about your relationship, it’s not easy to give you an objective opinion. But yes, many of the Moroccan guys seek marriage with foreign women for the sake of going abroad, but this doesn’t seem to be your case, and he asked you to go live with him in Morocco. Is this a proposal that comes after knowing him for enough time? Or it came right away after meeting him for a couple of times? That’s something that can make you feel suspicious about him, or confident enough to trust his feelings.
Did you consider coming to Morocco for a visit for a start? Are you tempted to come to live in Morocco?
By the way, we have many members here who are non Moroccan ladies married to Moroccan men. So I hope that they will give you all the advice you’re looking for.

If you come for a visit or to live here, knowing some French is already a plus. But you’ll do better if you learn some Darija (Moroccan dialect)

Hi,. and welcome aboard… I married in Morocco but as a american it took us time to get through all the paper work that the Morocco side ask for- every one wants a stamp or a seal… My husband was in Greece when we first met online- when we decided to marry we decided to marry in Morocco since all his other family (grandmother, sisters-brothers-aunt-unlces-cousins) was there and he wanted me to know them and also he hasn’t been back in 7yrs. His mom and one of his brother and sister live in France and he stayed there for a little time before making his way to Morocco for our marriage…

I love Morocco it is such a lovely country-and the ppl so friendly and of course the food is soo soo delecious- we do plan to make our home in Morocco-but, I have things here in the USA that i need to deal with before i can take that final step…

I just came back a month ago from Morocco last month- I went for the month of December, all January - came back for 1 1/2 week to USA to change my name- got a new pass port (express service) flew back to Morocco to be with my husband again and we had all Febuary traveling the country and we went to spain as well. (he has the visa to travel out-so, was easier for us to go anywhere in Europe)

if u plan to marry in morocco -plan on staying a good 6weeks to deal with the paper work…

again welcome aboard…

J…

Welcome to the forum Rina, I hope you’ll get a better insight of your issue after you discuss it a bit with our members.

JayLynn, did your Moroccan husband marry you to get the American citizenship? Or maybe you don’t mind?

Hello Rina,

In a dream world, finding someone online and moving to a far off land to be with the man of your dreams sounds great…but you will need to come out of the clouds and really think about what your doing. I myself am married to a moroccan man, and have been for seven years. We lived for a short time in Morocco after our 5th year of marriage, and I loved it…but at the same time, it was very hard.

NONE of his family speak French or English…so I was left with the very small amount of Arabic I knew at the time and body lang. I found myself at home with the women alone many hours each day, as my husband would want to spend time with his friends and the males in the family. Now, we are both Muslims, which made this a bit eaiser, for I have a very good foundation in Islam, but it can be very lonely.

My advice would be to bring him to the USA to marry and build a bit of a relationship with him before moving away yourself…Although I have a very good husband and strong marriage, it was tested in Morocco until I became at ease with all the changes and life style. My husband was worried about every little thing…If I bought a coke, he would tell me…“don’t walk around and drink it” “People don’t do that here” lol but after about 50 fifty of those little things…it can get on a nerve:) LOL Now, keep in mind, things are very different across Morocco…but we were in a small town most of our trip…and only spent a week here and there in other larger cities, such as Casa.

Now that I have become at ease in Morocco, we are in the process of buying a home there, and plan to go once my husband is done with school…it is a Great place…but it’s not how we were raised and it does take a bit of time to adjust. I live in Canada now, so I do not have a hard time being away from my family, such as mom and dad, but that is something you may also want to think about…you can’t call them everyday.

I really wish you the best, and I do hope you give everything a lot of thought…Morocco is great! Islam is Great! and Moroccan Men can be great! just be real to yourself and ask Allah to guide you.

Nada

Welcome to the forum Nada. It’s great to know about your experience. Thanks for sharing, I am sure that will help Rina in some way or another.

[quote=Bnita]Welcome to the forum Rina, I hope you’ll get a better insight of your issue after you discuss it a bit with our members.

JayLynn, did your Moroccan husband marry you to get the American citizenship? Or maybe you don’t mind?[/quote]
I don’t mind u asking,. no- he didn’t marry me for citizenship- He had first wanted me to stay in Europe area-but, i don’t like Europe- euro is higher cost of living than USA- and we decided Morocco-- I really like it there-- but, i have things here i need to do first,. His work is similar to mine- that keeps him busy- I work for a airline-and he in Tourisim…

Hello Butterfly :slight_smile:

thank you…Rina is short for my full name italian…but yes you are right…his proposal does seem fast to me (few weeks) but I know how fast intimacy develops online when you speak that often and for that long. Still he wants to live in France as he has spent several years studying french culture and literature in school -university. Like I said we do talk on micro…6-7 hours a day so we have gotten to know a lot about eachother’s beliefs and values. We don’t chat about music or school and the like – its pretty much finding out who the other person really is on a deeper level. Still reality is reality and I know time needs time. I find that when I ask the hard questions about relationships and his values, he gives the right answers (imho) I personally have been in love before and in a 10 yr relationship so I know about relationships and what they hold in store for a couple. He does have that possessiveness thing though and he says he wants his woman to be jealous a little bit. I hope he isn’t gonna flirt to make me jealous then…??? Also he tells me why do I care what others think of our relationship…I am able to think for myself. I don’t think he gets it about women.

I do wonder why he seems willing to forfeit having children…I have been told not to have any more (have 2 now). I asked him if he could deal with that and his response was…on one condition as long as you let me take them to the stadium and teach them to play soccer. I felt this was a very good answer but I can’t guage a totally different culture from one person’s answer. I am puzzled by a man who is willing to give up his right to have his own blood borne children…and easily. Some thoughts on that?
Merci bcp.

[quote=Rina]Hello Butterfly :slight_smile:

thank you…Rina is short for my full name italian…but yes you are right…his proposal does seem fast to me (few weeks) but I know how fast intimacy develops online when you speak that often and for that long. Still he wants to live in France as he has spent several years studying french culture and literature in school -university. Like I said we do talk on micro…6-7 hours a day so we have gotten to know a lot about eachother’s beliefs and values. We don’t chat about music or school and the like – its pretty much finding out who the other person really is on a deeper level. Still reality is reality and I know time needs time. I find that when I ask the hard questions about relationships and his values, he gives the right answers (imho) I personally have been in love before and in a 10 yr relationship so I know about relationships and what they hold in store for a couple. He does have that possessiveness thing though and he says he wants his woman to be jealous a little bit. I hope he isn’t gonna flirt to make me jealous then…??? Also he tells me why do I care what others think of our relationship…I am able to think for myself. I don’t think he gets it about women.

I do wonder why he seems willing to forfeit having children…I have been told not to have any more (have 2 now). I asked him if he could deal with that and his response was…on one condition as long as you let me take them to the stadium and teach them to play soccer. I felt this was a very good answer but I can’t guage a totally different culture from one person’s answer. I am puzzled by a man who is willing to give up his right to have his own blood borne children…and easily. Some thoughts on that?
Merci bcp.[/quote]
I could be judging someone I absolutely don’t know, but from all your posts here and in the other thread, I can say that this man sounds like scam to me.
My guts only, Rina. Follow your own guts!