Idiomatice and social etiquette expressions

I think this is more culturally related…
Anyway, hope they’re useful to Darija learners and the topic would not be a repeated one. Here you are:

3l 3een we-rras = At you service.

ach 7ab lkhater? = what would you like? (very polite)

tareq e-ssalama = Safe journey

3la salamtk = (used on arrival of somebody after a trip, or on his recovering from an illness)

Allah yslmak = (A polite reply to the above)

thala f rasak = Take care of yourself

dakhl soq rasak = Mind your own buisness

so far so gud? I’ve found them and I’ll add more if you’d like me to :slight_smile:
And of course, correction is welcomed, as well as addition :slight_smile:

oooohh great thread …
everythin was good … but im gonna correct d pronounciation

3la l3een we-rras

triq e-ssalama

3la slamtk

thala f rasek

dkhel soq rasek

thanks alot Mad…I think I have to add more, and l7mdellah u’re here for corrections (cause I’ve read them in arabic so wasn’t sure of vowels’ pronounciation)

plz learners, consider Mad’s corrections, plzzzz
:slight_smile:

yeah that was just a vowel problem
and thnx for the thread lolll ive never thought of it coz i dont use those idioms ( too polite for me )

loool (I thought so too) :stuck_out_tongue:

u’re welcome,
so I’m gonna post for the others some other idioms l8r nchallah :wink:

its so kind from u

Some I remember now. I don’t know if here it’s the right place for all them. And I only now morccan northern darija, so mybe some are known in other arabic countries.(I’m afraid I’m not on “ettiquette” world, so… ):

[i]- Duya hanya

• W sma safia
  • w errbi kbir[/i] --> this one is known, yek?

-Tanjawi, suqu khawi --> About the Tanjawi way of life /¨behaviour

Wlad eSSuq --> neighbours says that to my friends :smiley:
Bint ennas --> Boring girl
Bint eZZanqa --> Pretty funny girl :smiley:
wld lharam --> usually are taxists who say this, refering to other drivers

[i]- 3lach?

• 3la lmshmsh
  • Tab w ma khlash
  • Mshit nsuq w ma tb3sh[/i] --> Idiomantic game: meshmesh are apricots.

[i]

• Qué pasa?
  • LHot fplaSa[/i] --> Idiomatic game in the north (they usually uses spanish words and expressions like this)

- beSSentiHa --> Por el morro… (I don’t know in english)

- Tla3tini fk***i --> you wasted my patience

To call the waiter: A mmardi!

nwqta nwqta i3mer lwad --> proverb: drop by drop the river grows

Khamsa 3la 3inik
--> When someone is suposed to make you balota.

tsbark Allah! --> Cannot translate :frowning:

Wili wili
--> ¡My lord!

kmi w tkimma w shuf shinni tmma --> Just smoke and relaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxx… :slight_smile: (before, you said: 3mr shi sibsi, ya khawa!)

Allah isahlek —> When a beggar asks you for some dirham (catalans we NEVER give money, so this one is important :smiley: )

Allah i3unek --> Always.
Allah ikuwwen mennek durria SaliHa! --> I don’t know what it means, but old people like it when they listen it.
Inallah jamil iuHibbo ljamal --> When a pretty girl is around you :ok:
Fain, azzain? --> Same situation
Allah yin3al jeddek --> When somebody want’s to **** you
Allah ishafek --> To madrid supporters :^^:
In sha allah --> When somebody asks you something that you are not gonna do. :ok:

Ma wuSal Htta shaf 3yny f qfatu --> He arrived very tired (this I read in a book, and I liked it)

gracias ouazzani :frowning: has multiplicao en 0 todo el esfuerzo q he hecho aki en el foro :’(

ps- im lil bit busy now … i cant correct all what ouazz posted . pay attention there r pronounciation mistakes … and sometimes the translation isnt apropriate

thnx

:^^: :^^: :^^: Why? Cause I have mixed topics? Cause there are some expressions that are not etiquette expressions?

We all admire you, Mad, you are the mirror at we look to become better persons… :ok:

I feel sad when I disappoint you… :cry: :cry: :cry:

For the translations: I learned most of this expressions in my social relation with tanjawa. So it’s functional meaning what I described, most of this words and expressions I never searched in a dictionary…

:^^:

Ouazz, if you use all those expressions you posted above then… :blink:

hahahhahhahah baraka mn sbagha :stuck_out_tongue:

so lets start explainin ur post :

• Duya hanya = infact its dounya hanya = denya hania ( in my darija ) = its ok
  • W sma safia = the sky is clear
  • w errbi kbir --> this one is known, yek? = rbi kbir = my god is great

=======> this idiom is used to mean that evrythin is ok ( u can use only the first part if u want )

-Tanjawi, suqu khawi --> About the Tanjawi way of life /¨behaviour

======> lol i cant say this about a tanjawi , i’ll offend him

Wlad eSSuq --> neighbours says that to my friends big_smile = in my darija we say wlad l7ram

Bint ennas --> Boring girl = a good girl , and for perverts like me and u … yes she is soooo boring :smiley:
Bint eZZanqa --> Pretty funny girl big_smile = a girl with bad behavour

wld lharam --> usually are taxists who say this, refering to other drivers = literally it means ‘’ someone who’s born in an illegal relationship ‘’

• 3lach? => question

• 3la lmshmsh ( mechmach ) => the answer

• Tab w ma khlash = 7lach not khlach ( and 7lach comes from 7lou = sweet )

• Mshit nsuq w ma tb3sh --> Idiomantic game: meshmesh are apricots.
    (msha lsou9 w ma tba3ch not mchit coz the mechmach who went to the market not u )

• Qué pasa?

• LHot fplaSa --> Idiomatic game in the north (they usually uses spanish words and expressions like this)
    =====> only in the north

• beSSentiHa --> Por el morro… (I don’t know in english)
    =====> only in the north

• Tla3tini fk***i --> you wasted my patience
    =====> slang , tle3tili f rassi is better

To call the waiter: A mmardi!
====> only in the north
we call the waiter : garçon , khouya …

nwqta nwqta i3mer lwad --> proverb: drop by drop the river grows
==> ne9ta ne9ta y3mer lwad ( in my darija )

Khamsa 3la 3inik --> When someone is suposed to make you balota.
===> aka khmsa w khliss 3la 3nik ( in egyptian : khamsa f 3ini l3ado :stuck_out_tongue: )

tsbark Allah! --> Cannot translate sad
tbarkllah = used when u c an amazing thing … and it has a religious meaning , its used against our evil eye

Wili wili --> ¡My lord! = false , rebbi rebbi = my lord
wili wili = comes from al-wayl , which is a river in hell

kmi w tkimma w shuf shinni tmma --> Just smoke and relaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxx… smile (before, you said: 3mr shi sibsi, ya khawa!)

=====> that was born in casablanca or kenitra (not sure about it ) and it is in merrakchi
the OV is = kmi w chem t3ref ach tem

Allah isahlek —> When a beggar asks you for some dirham (catalans we NEVER give money, so this one is important big_smile )
=====> yes when u dont have money to give to a beggar u tell him llah ysehel

Allah i3unek --> Always.
= allah y3awnk = may god helps u

Allah ikuwwen mennek durria SaliHa! --> I don’t know what it means, but old people like it when they listen it.
====> also , allah ykewen menek zre3 w zerri3a = it means may God gives u good children

Inallah jamil iuHibbo ljamal --> When a pretty girl is around you ok

=====> hahahahahahahahaahah yes u can use it there , but it means that Allah is beautiful and he loves beauty

Fain, azzain? --> Same situation
====> in my darija = fen a zine = a way to start a discussion with a girl u dont know ( its a flirt )

Allah yin3al jeddek --> When somebody want’s to **** you
aka allah yn3el bak , allah yn3el mok , allah yne3l tassiltk , allah yn3el …

Allah ishafek --> To madrid supporters ^^

used when someone is sick , and the sick here is barcelona hihihihihi 1-2 against rubin bla bla bla (we dont even know where it is )

In sha allah --> When somebody asks you something that you are not gonna do. ok
===> lol it means if God wants

Ma wuSal Htta shaf 3yny f qfatu --> He arrived very tired (this I read in a book, and I liked it)

=====> only in the north
we say mawsel tta ghferlo llah donoub

Yeah, it’s a typing mistake: Dwnia hania (with the w sound in Tanja)

Thanks.

Thanks! For the Kh / H confusion, I think it’s a big problem for me and those who speak spanish. Even if i know the word Hlw, sometimes i say Khlw. That’s a big problem in some situation. Imagine it was a confusion here:

Ammardi! Gibli shi kas khawi.

[quote=Madridista]- beSSentiHa --> Por el morro… (I don’t know in english)
=====> only in the north[/quote]
Mybe it’s 3la eSSentiHa. And that’s said when somebody takes your turn, or makes something with no right to do.

[quote=Madridista]Wili wili --> ¡My lord! = false , rebbi rebbi = my lord
wili wili = comes from al-wayl , which is a river in hell[/quote]
I knew, and the meaning it’s also related to “punishment”, but they use in the same situation when in Spain you say: “Dios mio!”

Allah ishafek --> To madrid supporters ^^

:hit: :fouet: :hit:

[quote=Madridista]=====> only in the north
we say mawsel tta ghferlo llah donoub[/quote]
Could you translate, please?

I’ve been editing this post 'cause I did’nt want to loose or forget something.

I know it’s a lot of work to you, Mad, but you really are helping me (us I hope).
Thanks a lot.

denya hania a sat :stuck_out_tongue:
la faute est humaine

Thanks Ouaz for the add.

I’d like to post others:

chi bas makayn = It’s all right (no harm done)

makayn mochkel = There’s no problem

b sse7a = to your health (said to someone when or after eating or drinking, or on buying something new, or having a haircut)

Allah y3tek e-ss7a = may God grant you health (reply to the above)

7achk /7achkom = (used as an expression of gratitude, especially when somebody renders you a service, and can also be used when by the speaker when they mention words associated with filth)

3zak Allah = May God grand you pride and honour (reply to the above)

Sha 3andek katshufiya?
3jibtini

-Why are you looking to me?
-I liked you.

I use it, except for some of the last ones. And I use a lot more.

It happens that when you learn in the streets, it’s easier to learn by functions that by isolated words or only the grammar. You have to react appropiately to many situations, so the easier way is to remember this made forms. The problem is that you never know what’s appropiate to say in some situations.

But I have big problems with many words and verbs that comes from arabic and I have no reference to remember it. So I listened hundreds of times and yet I don’t remember it. They are mybe easy words for you, but labyrinths for me, like: ddi (prendre) , 3ata (give), to go down (descendre): I never remember this one…

There are other expressions that I know but I can not use properly:

bl3in or bl3ani ? To do something with intention

brjlin --> walking

byeddi --> by myself (do something)

When I posted first I didn’t read ur post Mad, but l8r now I read them as we say (3la rawa2a) :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Madridista]Bint ennas --> Boring girl = a good girl , and for perverts like me and u … yes she is soooo boring :smiley:
Bint eZZanqa --> Pretty funny girl big_smile = a girl with bad behavour[/quote]
:neu: @ such connotation that turned the real meaning upside down!

[quote=Madridista]Khamsa 3la 3inik --> When someone is suposed to make you balota.
===> aka khmsa w khliss 3la 3nik ( in egyptian : khamsa f 3ini l3ado :stuck_out_tongue: )[/quote]
lol :smiley: we also say “Allah-o-Akbar” :stuck_out_tongue: (khmsa w khmesa…)
so why number 5 exactly that is in common and used against envy!!!

Thanks! For the Kh / H confusion, I think it’s a big problem for me and those who speak spanish. Even if i know the word Hlw, sometimes i say Khlw. That’s a big problem in some situation. Imagine it was a confusion here:

Ammardi! Gibli shi kas khawi.[/quote]
hahahahahahhahahaha duuuuuuuude it happened to me once and with mom loollll it was so funny

[quote=Ouazzani][quote=Madridista]=====> only in the north
we say mawsel tta ghferlo llah donoub[/quote]
Could you translate, please?[/quote]
dnoub are sins … so it means he didnt arrived till Allah has forgiven him for all his sins

[quote=Gretchen]7achk /7achkom = (used as an expression of gratitude, especially when somebody renders you a service, and can also be used when by the speaker when they mention words associated with filth)

3zak Allah = May God grand you pride and honour (reply to the above)[/quote]
ive never heard in my life ''7achak"when im renderin a service to someone ( but im not sure about that , we need here another native )
the 2nd meaning of 7achak is the most popular

[quote=Ouazzani]There are other expressions that I know but I can not use properly:

bl3in or bl3ani ? To do something with intention

brjlin --> walking

byeddi --> by myself (do something)[/quote]
bl3in is with the eye … but bl3ani is to do something with intention
u may hear also : maderthach bel3ani = ha sido sin querer

about byeddi , yes in chamal they use it in that way but in my darija we use ‘’ brassi ‘’ = by myself
or sometimes it means ‘’ even me " for ex: someone is askin u for sth , then u goes : ana brassi ma3ndich

[quote=madridista]bl3in is with the eye … but bl3ani is to do something with intention
u may hear also : maderthach bel3ani = ha sido sin querer[/quote]
ma3mltchi bl3ni , yeah, i sma3t bzzaf dl marrat fTanja

[quote=Madridista]about byeddi , yes in chamal they use it in that way but in my darija we use ‘’ brassi ‘’ = by myself
or sometimes it means ‘’ even me " for ex: someone is askin u for sth , then u goes : ana brassi ma3ndich[/quote]
brassi also used a lot in north morocco.

allah iberk fik

oh cool … all chamalis i know they only use byeddi … didnt know that
thnx ouazz