Favorite Moroccan Meal - Repas marocain favori

What do you call “red pepper” ? I saw that ingredient in a few eastern recipes, but I cant find it in France. Maybe the name is not the same but I’m quite sure it was “poivre rouge” en French.
do you know another name for it ?

We call it paprika here.

ya paprika

In Morocco that’s called t7mîra, and it’s not really to spice up food, it’s just for giving it some reddish color.

shôkan kôlkôm - its paprika of course - I did notice that paprika had no taste and I wondered why we used it. thx u all, ssalâmo 3alîkom

And is felfla not paprika in darija?

There is felfla 7arra (jalapeno):

And felfla 7lowwa (pepper?):

Its obvious, this forum is really great ! I never guessed relation between bell peppers and paprika !!!

yallah nshôfô lwiki :

Paprika is a spice made from the grinding of dried sweet red or green bell peppers (Capsicum annuum). In many European countries, the name paprika also refers to bell peppers themselves. The seasoning is used in many cuisines to add colour and flavour to dishes.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the English word comes from the Hungarian “paprika,” which means ‘pepper’ (the red spice or the vegetable). This derives from the Serbian and Croatian “paprena” that means “the one that is hot” and it is derived from Serbian and Croatian noun papar, “pepper”, which in turn was borrowed from the Latin “piper”, for “pepper.”

mmmmmmmmmm! miam! i can feel its aroma from here…really a good meal , so tasty and so simple!

bissara with olive oil and cumin…really tasty!

bissara wilth argan oil and a glass of tea…unforgettable! :okay:

ceci dit, je n’ai pas de plat préféré car ils se valent tous! vos papilles vont chavirer…!

mais je dois avouer que j’ai un faible pour les petites douceurs!:

ghoriba, ba7lawa, feqqas…

bissara? That is a dish made with ful( lima bean)?

Can anyone tell me the name of the cookies made for weddings that look like a crescent moon and are made of almond ( I think?)
They are delicious :slight_smile:

you are probably talking about ka3b lghzal don’t you?. (litteraly “horns of gazelle” )

Yes I believe this is the name of the cookies. According to a friend. They are very special cookies since they take a lot of time and are quite expensive to make.

lots of moroccan cookies are so expensive to make because of the use of dry fruits!

(do not hesitate to correct me if I make English faults, I want to improve it too!:D;))

@ Bnita:
It’s actually about the red versions of these two vegetables, huh? That’s where the color comes from.

@ Onc’Kamel:
Yep. So the tasteless paprika comes from red pepper. But there is a spicy one, the one made from jalapeno :ok:.

@ Ayita:
Yes, bisara is made of lfôl… Oh wait, is that called black-eyed bean? LOL What a name!

To sweet things up, here is ka3b ghzal:

As Kounouz said, the expensive Moroccan cookies are especially those made of almonds.

@ Kounouz:
You actually meant baqlawa, not ba7lawa :D, right?
As for the meaning of ka3b ghzal, I guess ka3b is rather for anklebone , than for horns. I might be wrong, but it seems to make more sense to me.

C’est Choumicha qui l’appelle lba7lawa, je suppose que baqlawa fait penser à un certain mot très vilain…:unsure: :wink:

horns = klaxons!:mdr::mdr:

je dois faire pas mal de contresens voire de non sens car je m’aide de yahoo babel fish!:mdr:

klaxon…lol… I understood that one… It is also klaxon in spanish …hhh
Yes these are the cookies in the picture… yummy!!! :slight_smile:

Couscous… but the one made with raisins… there is name given to dish …

any idea ? :unsure:

That’s probably ttfaya?

YES its Tffaya … thanks you saved me a call to morocco to ask about this :smiley: