Exercise 19 - Story Telling in Moroccan Arabic (English)

(The French version of this exercise is over here)

Let’s try to write a story in Darija. I’ll start with a sentence, and the next person goes on with another sentence. There is no story line, we’ll see the events evolve :^^:. Keep the sentences short, and always provide a translation AND copy what was written before you.
I hope it’s clear, let’s go:

A story in Moroccan Arabic by SpeakMoroccan Forum Members :cool::
Wâ7d nnhâr, kânt Salma gâlsa f jjrda.

Translation:
One day, Salma was sitting in the garden.

Wâ7d nnhâr, kânt Salma gâlsa f jjrda.

o jet mamaha m3aha jarida

her mom came with a newspaper

Wâ7d nnhâr, kânt Salma gâlsa f jjrda. O jet mamaha jayba m3aha ljarida (/jjrnân). “Salma, qrîtî jjrnân?”

Translation:
One day, Salma was sitting in the garden. Her mom came with a newspaper. “Salma, did you read the newspaper?”

ou jawbetha : " baki ma 9ritha".

Wâ7d nnhâr, kânt Salma gâlsa f jjrda. O jet mamaha jayba m3aha ljarida (/jjrnân). “Salma, qrîtî jjrnân?”. O jawbetha : " baqi ma 9ritha". W hiyya tgôl lîhâ mâmâhâ 3lâ lmosâbaqa lkbîra llî kayna.

Translation:
One day, Salma was sitting in the garden. Her mom came with a newspaper. “Salma, did you read the newspaper?”. And she answered her “I didn’t read it yet”. Then her mom told her about the big competition going on.

Wâ7d nnhâr, kânt Salma gâlsa f jjrda. O jet mamaha jayba m3aha ljarida (/jjrnân). “Salma, qrîtî jjrnân?”. O jawbetha : " baqi ma 9ritha". W hiyya tgôl lîhâ mâmâhâ 3lâ lmosâbaqa lkbîra llî kayna.

“Keefash nshark fiha?” qalat Salma

How can I participate?

Wâ7d nnhâr, kânt Salma gâlsa f jjrda. O jet mamaha jayba m3aha ljarida (/jjrnân). “Salma, qrîtî jjrnân?”. O jawbetha : " baqi ma 9ritôsh". W hiyya tgôl lîhâ mâmâhâ 3lâ lmosâbaqa lkbîra llî kayna. “Keefash nshark fiha?” qalat Salma. “Gâllîk khâSSk twâfqî t3îshî b jazîra b3îda tlt shhôr”, w bdât mâmâhâ td7k.

Translation:
One day, Salma was sitting in the garden. Her mom came with a newspaper. “Salma, did you read the newspaper?”. And she answered her “I didn’t read it yet”. Then her mom told her about the big competition going on. “How can I participate?”, asked Salma. “They say that you have to agree to go live on a far away island for three months”, said Salma’s mom laughing.

Wâ7d nnhâr, kânt Salma gâlsa f jjrda. O jet mamaha jayba m3aha ljarida (/jjrnân). “Salma, qrîtî jjrnân?”. O jawbetha : " baqi ma 9ritôsh". W hiyya tgôl lîhâ mâmâhâ 3lâ lmosâbaqa lkbîra llî kayna. “Keefash nshark fiha?” qalat Salma. “Gâllîk khâSSk twâfqî t3îshî b jazîra b3îda tlt shhôr”, w bdât mâmâhâ td7k.

"manqdrsh nbqa tlat shhoor bzzaf! illa iza btiji m3aya ? "

“I can’t stay there for 3 months that’s too much ! unlss you come with me…” (I know there are a lot of mistakes :slight_smile: )

• "manqdrsh nbqa tlt shhoor bzzaf! illa ilâ ghâdî tjî m3aya ? "
  • “Kant7ddâk tmshî bô7d, aslan ntî dâyman khwwâfa”.

Translation:
One day, Salma was sitting in the garden. Her mom came with a newspaper. “Salma, did you read the newspaper?”. And she answered her “I didn’t read it yet”. Then her mom told her about the big competition going on. “How can I participate?”, asked Salma. “They say that you have to agree to go live on a far away island for three months”, said Salma’s mom laughing.
“I can’t stay there for 3 months that’s too much ! unless you come with me…”
" I challenge you to go alone, you have always been a chicken".

NB: The corrected parts are in bold :).

ewwa? wâsh jât salma îla ljazîra? âsh waq3 lihâ? :^^:

Well, someone else has to continue the story after me, to either save or kill the poor girl :^^:.

“5alas qarrart nmshi liljazira lwa7di 7it nthbitlek “that” manish khawwafa”
I decided to go by myself to prove that i’m no chicken

I had been thinking about suggesting an exercise like this, only to find that there is one here already !!

Shall we start a new story ?

Galet " kattklm ngliza ?’ / She said , " Do you speak English ?"

[quote=Hiba]“5alas qarrart nmshi liljazira lwa7di 7it nthbitlek “that” manish khawwafa”
I decided to go by myself to prove that i’m no chicken[/quote]
Here are a few corrections:
“Sâfî qrrert nmshî leljazîra bô7dî bâsh ntbt lîk bi2annanî mâshî khwwâfa”.

[quote=lisec]I had been thinking about suggesting an exercise like this, only to find that there is one here already !!

Shall we start a new story ?

Galet " kattklm ngliza ?’ / She said , " Do you speak English ?"[/quote]
Sure! We’ll leave the first story pending :hap:.
This one will be a conversation to make it easier to suggest short sentences.

Galet " kattklm ngliza ?’

• Yacine: “Llâ, kanhdr ghîr l3rbiyya, o ntî?”

She said , " Do you speak English ?"

• Yacine: “No, I only speak Arabic. And you?”

Galet " tanttkellm franzawiya, ngliza w bghit neqra l3rbiyya!

@ SM - Great idea to make it a conversation ! :ok:

@ Marilyn - You forgot the translation :wink: but I think I understand " I speak French and English and I want to study Arabic"

Yacine : " bghiti n3lemti ?" / Do you want me to teach you ? ??:unsure: Not sure about the grammar here

Does nobody want to play this game ?? / ma-bgha Hetta waHed l3b ?? :cry::cry: Come on !! :ok:

The story so far :

galet “kattklm ngliza ?”
Yassine “lla, kayhdr ghir l3rbiyya, o nti ?”
galet " tanttkellm franzawiya, ngliza w bghit nqra l3biyya!"
Yassine “bghiti n3lemti ?”

She said, “Do you speak English ?”
Yassine, “No, I only speak Arabic, and you ?”
She said, " I speak French and English and I want to learn Arabic"
Yassine, " Do you want me to teach you ?"

Come on, let’s continue with the story / yallah, nzidu f l-Hkaya :okay:

Don’t forget to include English translation -
And darija-speakers please help us with corrections SHUKRAN :smiley:

Yallah, I need some exercise!!!

So the story:

galet:" bi kulli farah! ( with pleasure )

(for the story so far - see above )

Yassine : “Ash smitek ?” / What’s your name ?

Darija speakers - please help us with corrections and join in with writing the story !:ok: