Exercise 19 - Story Telling in Moroccan Arabic (English)

galet: smi aicha, ana min lmaghreb walakin 3aicha bi fransa o bghit nt3allm el3arabiya

she said: my name is Aicha I’m from Morocco but I live in France, and I want to learn Arabic :slight_smile:

I’ll write the story so far - to save everyone having to scroll back - and it’s also good exercise !

galet kattklm ngliza ?
yassine lla, kanhdr ghir l3rbiyya, o nti ?
galet tanttkellm franzawiya, ngliza w bghit neqra l3rbiyya
yassine bghiti n3lemti ?
galet bi kulli farah !
Yassine ash smitek ?
galet smi Aicha, ana min lmagheb walakin 3aicha bi Fransa o bghit nt3allm l3abiya
yassine ila kantklmu darija sa3a w sa3in kul nhar, dghia nta ghadithdr darija mezyan !
ntlaqau f had qhwa ghedda f-l-khmsa - wakha ?

Translation :
She said Do you speak English ?
Yassine No, I only speak Arabic, and you ?
She said I speak French, English and I want to study Arabic
Yassine Do you want me to teach you ?
She said (with pleasure) Yes, please.
Yassine What’s your name ?
She said My name is Aicha, I’m from Morocco, but I live in France and I want to learn Arabic.
Yassine If we speak darija for one or two hours every day, you’ll soon speak darija well.
Let’s meet at this cafe tomorrow at five, ok ?

SM and other native speakers please help us with corrections - SHUKRAN :slight_smile:

galet kattklm ngliza ?
yassine lla, kanhdr ghir l3rbiyya, o nti ?
galet tanttkellm franzawiya, ngliza w bghit neqra l3rbiyya
yassine bghiti n3lemti ?
galet bi kulli farah !
Yassine ash smitek ?
galet smi Aicha, ana min lmagheb walakin 3aicha bi Fransa o bghit nt3allm l3abiya
yassine ila kantklmu darija sa3a w sa3in kul nhar, dghia nta ghadithdr darija mezyan !
ntlaqau f had qhwa ghedda f-l-khmsa - wakha ?
galet: wakha inchallah ! shokran bzzaf ! :slight_smile:

Yassine : nshufik gheda f-l-khmsa see you tomorrow at 5
Aicha : wakha, bslama ok, bye

lyom jjay : the next day :

Lisec, I think that there is a problem with line four, where Yassine asks. “Bghiti n3elmti?” It is an easy mistake to make, and one which renders the sentence as, “Do you want me to = bhgiti” and “n3elm = I teach” and “ti = you”. …This all seems correct as I give you the translation, right? The problem lies in the fact that ‘ti’ is the end of a verbs conjugation, whereas ‘ki’ is the direct object of a verb. ]

I feel very certain that it should be ‘bhiti n3elmki’, even though Moroccan Arabic does sometimes use the wrong case in its structure. For instance, in Moroccan it is said, “m3 3amarni” to mean “In all of my life!”, when formal Arabic demands that it should be ‘m3 3umri’, which means, again, ‘in all my life!’… The difference is in ‘ny’ being in the accusative case, indicating that ‘ny’ is the object of a verb, whereas ‘y’ is an example of an attached pronoun, indicating what we would use the word ‘my’ for in English.

Just a though or two…

Thanks, ummaryam99

I see what you mean about the verb suffix -ti - -> 3lemti = you (sing.) taught
I’ve never come across the ‘ki’ ending :huh:

How about ‘bghiti n3lemtk ?’ could that be a possibility ??

SM where are you - we need you :huh::wink:

Who’s going to continue the story ?

Lisec, going back to my platform of Fusha, the best way I can explain it is to say the following;

‘bghiti’ means ‘you want’, while ‘bhighitni’ means ‘you want me’

‘n3elm’ means ‘I teach/know’, while, ‘n3elmki’ means ‘I teach you/know you’ and ‘n3elmkiha’ means ‘I teach it to you’

If we want to say, ‘I taught you’ we say ‘3ellmtuki’; to say ‘you learned it from me’ we say, ‘t3ellmtiha minny’

Although ‘y’ carries more than one meaning in Arabic, there is a particular ‘yy’ which is an adjective in Arabic with the specific name, ‘ya annisba’. That means, ‘the “y” of association’. It is the same ‘y’ that is put on the end of country names in order to express the fact that the person in question is of that nationality. A ‘t’ follows that ‘y’ if the person is a female.

That means that, when I say ‘I am an American’, I say it thus, ‘Ana Amrykiyya(tun)’ For Omar, I would say, "Omar Tixassiy(un)’. For Lisec, I could say, 'rajl bint Lisec Maghribiy(un), and, for SM, we could move on to a character trait, and say, "SM thakiyy(atun).

Why have I placed ‘un’ or ‘atun’ at the end of the words? Because that is a grammar feature of Arabic which shows up when words are connected to one another through certain constructs which become evident in pronunciation. It is actually the reason why ‘Sarah’ is normally spelled with an ‘h’ in English; that is the expression of the ‘t of femininity’ which characterizes Semitic languages. Usually, we would pronounce a word such as ‘Tixasiyyatun’ as simply ‘Tixassiyyah’, with the same semi-silent status of that final h as we see in the English name, Sarah.

Sooooo, clear as mud? I would very much like to hear specific questions which may be of use to you, if only you had the answer. When I receive queries it causes me to examine why I think a certain rule appertains, and gives me the chance to correct myself if I am mis-using or have mis-understood the construct/vocabulary/et al which is being examined.

Thanks for your patience, and good job all around!