Exercise 11 - Practice Arabic Reading (MSA)

Yes the reading is

It means telefon

Next MSA word to read and translate:

[large]???[/large]

nervous/anxious

sorry, I can’t seem to master calling up the Arabic keyboard.

qafilah/qawafil

You didn’t do the core of the exercise: Reading the word! (Well, transcribing it here).
And you don’t have to suggest a new one :).

(Blush) mutawatir---- on edge; anxious

Was expecting to see you stress on the shadda: Mutawattir.

Next:
[large]???[/large]

matbakh = as far as morphology goes, this word should be categorized under the ‘name of the place’ section; the name of the place that what??? The name of the place where one undertakes to cook. Therefor the matbakh is the KITCHEN… lcozina

Clap Clap for lmojtahida dyâlnâ :^^:.

Next:
Read the MSA word:

[large]???[/large]

draja, I think, but I have no idea what it means - is it in any way connected with darija ??

Salam everyone,

Daraja - bike [I cheated, I also didn’t know what it means but Google helped me out ;)]

Now I’ll use this game to figure out some words I don’t know how to read :^^: ???

‘Darraja’ means bicycle. ‘Darraja narria’ is motorcycle.

This root performs a wide variety of functions. Yes, ‘addarija’ is related to it.

let me suggest a smattering of words connected to the root… stairs, degree (as in, 80 degrees Fahrenheit; not as in a college degree) level (as in, Lisec’s level of proficiency in Danish is a lot higher than mine is), wending around an area, fraction-based grade, like a 99 on a test. involved, as in “A proper explanation of this root’s meaning is a very involved process”.

Thanks, ummaryam

So, what does darija ‘mean’ ?

Good morning lise-c. I will try to answer your question. Bear with me.

As for ‘darija’ as the name of a language, it is the word used in the Arab Maghrib to refer to the spoken language; the language with which you “get around”. In the Arab Mashriq they use the word Aamiyya for the colloquial dialects, and that means, "generalized; available to everyone (i.e. understandable to the native without the benefit of formal education)

The converse (I wouldn’t say ‘opposite’, exactly) of each of those words is ‘Fus7a’, which is the word for formal, learned-in-a-classroom Arabic. There is probably no one on Earth whose true mother tongue is Fus7a (also called MSA, Modern Standard Arabic, and Classical Arabic, although there are some differences between MSA and Classical Fusha. Nevertheless, both are called ‘Fus7a’)

So, I await some input from a native speaker regarding what ‘Addarija’ ought, properly and etymologically, to be translated into in English.

Yes, I meant etymologically - as you mentioned ‘darija’ is related to ‘daraja’ meaning ‘bicycle’, I was curious to find our how the two apparently very different meanings are connected etymologically.

By the way, do Middle Eastern Arabs refer to Moroccan Arabic as ‘darija’ or would they call it ‘Aamiyya maghrbiya’ ?

Hello Lise C,
Middle Eastern Arabs who do not know any Moroccans and have no familiarity with the fact that Magharibah say ‘addarija’ would tend to be unaware of the different name given to ‘dialect’ or ‘colloquial’ in the Maghrib.

When you think about the functions associated with ‘d r j’ you can sort of see the connection as being one of taking from one place to another, or of differentiating one state from another. I am sorry that I have no better explanation to share with you.

There are? I count six in both: fat7ah, kasrah, dammah, yaw, waw, alif. What am I missing?

Ok, you lost me here.

1. What is an “open” syllable in Darija or MSA?
  2. What is a “closed” syllable in Darija or MSA?
  3. Are you saying the syllable rules are the same as in English?
  4. A shedda is two consonants beside each other, the first one has no vowel after it by definition. (You are not counting sukoon as a vowel, are you?) Your name, nuwwara, has two consonants next to each other (two w’s) with no vowel between them. Even without the shedda and not marking all short vowels, there are lots of words with two consonants next to each other without a vowel in between, see the PCM p 4.
    mtshfrin
  1. an open syllable has nothing specially to do with Darija or MSA it just means that the syllable is consonant and vowl
  2. same here just it’s a syllable consonant, vowl and consonant
  3. No.
  4. sukûn is not a vowl.
    In Darija there are not theses rules they are for MSA. There is a lot forbitten in MSA what is normal in Darija.
    Nuwwara spitted up in it’s syllables is nuw-wa-ra a closed one followed by two open syllables. And I’m not sure that it’s MSA, too.

Here’s a useful tool for those who are learning the arabic alphabet.
Just type it as you would say it. Use the following syntaxis:

? 3
? 9
? 2
? K
? 7
? T
? kh
? Z
? gh
? S
? aa
? D
? w
? dh
? y
? th

Maarten,
Is this your site? I tried it and all it did was transliterate my English into Arabic characters. No Arab speaking person who didn’t know English would understand what I wrote. Am I missing the point of this site?

Nuwwara,
I’m not sure what you are saying is consistent with the Peace Corp Manual, but I also suspect you know Darija better than I do. In a way this goes back to my latin vs arabic letters question in another thread. So you would always insert a vowel in writing Darija in latin letters, but maybe not if you were writing in Arabic letters?
This is one of the things that make reading Arabic hard; if you don’t already know what vowel is supposed to be there, you’re left guessing at the word.