Exercice 21: Audio Darija - Darija en audio

We have mentioned this several times in the forum, so I thought we’d have an audio exercise. I’ll be suggesting short sentences here, and you’re invited to record yourselves reading them, and have me comment on them and correct them. Don’t be shy!

[color=#6E5DA1]On avait parlé de ça à maintes reprises sur le forum, j’ai pensé donc à créer cet exercice. Je vais vous proposer de courtes phrases, et vous êtes invités à vous enregistrer en les lisants. Je vais les écouter, et vous les commenter ou corriger.
Allez, soyez pas timides ![/color]

First sentence:

Ssalâmô 3alaykom. Kî dâyrîn? Lâ bâs 3lîkom?
[large]??? ???. ?? ??? ?? ??? ???[/large]

No one?

Great idea!! I would like to give it a try but help me: how can I record???:roll:

Great idea. Here’s my try.

@Marilyn; if you’re using Windows: goto Start -> Run and enter sndrec32 in the ‘run box’. A sound recorder will pop up. Then press the button with the red dot for your 5 seconds of fame.

Hello!

Nice idea, though I’m not quite that advanced yet. What I would like even more is the reverse, audio clips of Moroccan Arabic that we can try to decipher :ok:

Hi,

I agree with ukahe. I tried to use the video’s from exercise 1 (youtube) but this is a bit hard for me. I don’t understand it. But some audioclips that are somewhat more easy or go more slow would be very helpful for me too.

:okay:

@ Ukahe and Elise:
I’d love to have some native speakers volunteer to make us audio files, I also like the idea :).

@ Maarten:
I can’t get your own audio file, can you please repost it?

[quote=SimplyMoroccan]@ Maarten:
I can’t get your own audio file, can you please repost it?[/quote]
ok

@Maarten: thanks for the help. I recorded , but sorry, how do I post it now???

Hi Marylin, you can upload your file using a filesharing service such as divshare.
You have to sign up once. Once you’ve created your account, you can share your file by posting the link of the uploaded file on the forum.

[quote=elise]Hi,

I agree with ukahe. I tried to use the video’s from exercise 1 (youtube) but this is a bit hard for me. I don’t understand it. But some audioclips that are somewhat more easy or go more slow would be very helpful for me too.

:okay:[/quote]
Hi Elise,

I didn’t understand these videos neither. They talk too fast!
I found one videoclip that even I could understand though; it’s about Hind Laroussi who’s talking about her new single.
She speaks slowly and with a dutch accent which makes it - for me at least - somewhat easier to understand.
Fast forward to 03:00 for the part where she speaks darija.

Hi Maarten,

Thanks a lot. This was great and also even I could understand it. :wink: Nice to know that our level of darija is comparable to that of Hind (who apparently also struggles to express herself). :smiley:

Elise

Dat geeft moed hè? Here’s another audio excercise about a Moroccan woman who explains how she became an ophthalmic surgeon. With the help of the voice-over you should be able to understand her story.

Voici, un exercice en audio.

here is a short story in which the language situation in Morocco is explained.
The audio comes from the accompanying cd of a Dutch textbook called
“Marokkaans Arabisch - een cursus voor zelfstudie en klassikaal gebruik”.

fe l mahgreb kayna l-3arbiya u men b3ad kayna sh-shel7a u le fRanSawiya.
walakin l-3arbiya fiha juj de sh-shkal; l-3arbiya d-darija u l-3arbiya l-fus7a.
sh-shelha fiha tlata de sh-shkal; sh-shelha dyal r-rif; kayetkellmu biha r-rifyin.
tumma kayna sh-shelha dyal l-atTLas; kaytekellmu biha n-nas lli saknin f-l-aTLas
u kayna sh-shelha s-susiya; kaytekellmu biha n-nas lli saknin fe s-sus.
m3a l-'asaf ma kayetkellmu sh n-nas kullhum l-3arbiya 3and-na fe-l-meghrib.
n-nas lli ma qaRyin sh ma kayfehmu sh l-3arbiya l-fuS7ha.

7na kullna mgharba, she3b l-mehgrib she3b wa7ed,
3and-na lugha we7da lli hiya l-3arbiy l-fus7a. l-3arbiya hiya l-lewwla u le-fRansawiya
fe l-makan t-tani be3d l-3eRbiya. le fRansawiya b7al l-3arbiya, ma shi n-nas
kullum kayfehmu-ha.

SHUKRAN BEZZAF, maarten , very useful :smiley:
The audio/text from the Dutch book is just the right level for me. I suppose it helps that one is familiar with the topic !

Your own contribution sounded very native-speaker-like to me - congratulations :okay:

Like Marilyn, I don’t know how to record and post. I don’t have Windows. I have a Mac computer. Can anyone help ? :unsure:

@ Maarten:
I got it now. But I am confused… sorry to sound odd, but isn’t Maarten a feminine name? :unsure: No, seriously!

Remark on your audio file:
Your read it as “kî dâyr”, not “kî dâyrîn”.
Your 3în is perfect.

[quote=maarten][quote=elise]Hi,

:okay:[/quote]
Hi Elise,

I didn’t understand these videos neither. They talk too fast!
I found one videoclip that even I could understand though; it’s about Hind Laroussi who’s talking about her new single.
She speaks slowly and with a dutch accent which makes it - for me at least - somewhat easier to understand.
Fast forward to 03:00 for the part where she speaks darija.[/quote]
Maarten, you always have interesting things to suggest.
Please don’t hesitate to open new threads for every resource you have, if you want to share it with others, and work on its translation. I think that it will be good for everyone.
Every time, you can post a video that’s easy enough, and each person should write no more than one or two sentences. So that the flow goes smoothly for everyone to follow. :slight_smile:

[quote=SimplyMoroccan]@ Maarten:
I got it now. But I am confused… sorry to sound odd, but isn’t Maarten a feminine name? :unsure: No, seriously![/quote]
You scared me there for a little while, but I looked it up. It’s masculine allright:

Name: Maarten
Usage: Dutch
Pronounced: MAH:R-t?n
Origin: Derivative of the Roman name ‘Martinus’, a diminutive of ‘Martis’, the genitive case of the name of the Roman god of war ‘Mars’.
The meaning of the name is “fondness of war”. The countless fights I had with my kid sister show you that I lived up to all of my parents expectations.

@Maarten: I also learned darija with that book of prof. Hoogland.
He have me another cd with more text, very usefull.

Could you please ask him if you can share the audio he gave you with us? Thanks.