Exercice 21: Audio Darija - Darija en audio

I’ll send him a mail, but I don’t think he will refuse this. He is very kind, he has a center in Rabat to learn moroccan, I would love to go once

Hi Lisec,

please refer to this article which explains how to record audio on a mac.
Once you’ve recorded you audio file, you can upload it using a filesharing service such as divshare.
You have to sign up once. Once you’ve created your account, you can share your file by posting the link of the uploaded file on the forum. mp

@ Marilyn Sounds interesting ! What’s the centre in Rabat called ?

@ maarten shukran 3la l-musa3da dyalk / thank you for your help

I’ll have a go when I next have time - at the end of the week.

[quote=maarten][quote=SimplyMoroccan]@ Maarten:
I got it now. But I am confused… sorry to sound odd, but isn’t Maarten a feminine name? :unsure: No, seriously![/quote]
You scared me there for a little while, but I looked it up. It’s masculine allright:

Name: Maarten
Usage: Dutch
Pronounced: MAH:R-t?n
Origin: Derivative of the Roman name ‘Martinus’, a diminutive of ‘Martis’, the genitive case of the name of the Roman god of war ‘Mars’.
The meaning of the name is “fondness of war”. The countless fights I had with my kid sister show you that I lived up to all of my parents expectations.[/quote]
:oops: Sorry! I just thought of your name as Martine, or something like that. I am not always good in distinguishing the gender of non Arabic names.

ma-3lih-š! I’m just glad you got confused by the name and not by the voice. The latter would be more worrying (for me at least).

Haha! No way! It doesn’t change anything to know that you’re guy anyway, apart from strengthening the masculine presence in the forum.

Very nice Maarten. thanks for the link to the video and for the audio fragment about the languages in Morocco. Very helpful and not too difficult!

I just found something nice too, from the same “Jan Hoogland” who wrote that studybook. It is a site with simple stories (audio). I need some help with the transcription and translation. Who wants to help me?

This is the first story (Dutch title: De geleerde en de bootsman). There is a sentence next to every picture

I unraveled so far:

1. Kân wa7id 3âlem kbîr bzaf

2. wa7id nhâr hbeT (…??) fil wâd

3. khleT 3lâ wa7id flâki w qâl (…?) min wa7id lflûka

4. There once was a wise and very old man

5. One day, he went down (…) to the river

6. He passed by/went to a boat owner and asked him for a boat (?)

Who wants to help me fil in the words that I didn’t get and to continu?

Oh sorry, the link is … http://www.let.ru.nl/~j.hoogland/Marokkaans2/Zha_div/geleerdeBootsman.htm

this is wonderfull, Elise! Thank you, I’ll try to translate a bit later

who wants to help me with these stories. I tried to translate a few sentences but did not understand everything. Please help me … :flag: :wink:

You can easily slow down the speech in those videos by opening them with windows media player, then clicking onto the play tab, then scroll down to ‘play speed’ and then click ‘slow’. The speech will then become slower and easier to pick up!

Welcome to the forum, boo. Thanks for the tip.
Feel free to introduce yourself in the new comers section.

Thanks for welcoming me ‘simplymoroccan’. I’ll go there and introduce myself. I look forward to learning moroccan darija with all of You.

darija is a spoken language right? written communication is all in MSA.
Hence “speakmoroccan.com” and not “writemoroccan.com”.
So let’s work on our pronunciation instead of our grammar once again.
We’ll use the text below which explains moroccan dining habits.
Here’s my try: http://vocaroo.com/?media=v2q2RvNh1rkkRv1Sd. Corrections are more than welcome of course.

You can record and share your voice clip here. yallah nuba dyalek deba.

7na le-mgharba tanaklu reb3a de l merrat f n-nhar.
f s-sba7 tanfetru b l-qehwa aw b atay m3a shwiya d l-khubz u z-zebda u l-konfitur.
f weqt l-ghda tanaklu s-seksu wella t-tajin u kayen n-nas lli tayaklu 7tta shlada u shi haja dyal l-fawakih
b7al t-teffa7 u l-3ineb. m3a s-setta de l-3ashiya tansherbu l-qehwa u be3d l-merrat kanaklu l makla lli khfifa.
m3a t-tes3ud de l-lil kanaklu merra tanya l-makla lli shkuna, y3ani s-seksu aw t-tajin.

Shukran, maarten, for yet another very useful post.

I’ll try and have a go at reading it later, but for now I’ll try and translate it (may be useful for beginners) :

We Moroccans eat four times a day.
In the morning we eat breakfast of coffee or tea with some bread and butter and jam.
At lunch time we eat couscous or tarjine and there are people who eat salad and some fruit like apple and grape. At six in the afternoon/evening we drink coffee and sometimes we eat food (khfifa ??).
At nine in the evening we eat for the second time hot food (lit. food which is hot), meaning/such as couscous or tajine.

khfifa = ??

Please correct any mistakes. Shukran.