Darija 's urbandictionary

as many of u knows darija has no limits … always there r new words , these words r genarally born in the street , by rappers artists , or just normal ppl
some of these words are considered slang and we cant use them everywhere ; u cant call ur father ‘‘a sat’’ (looolll btw i did it once hhhhhh )

here is a list i found , and ofcourse everyone can add words here

damdouma ===> stupid

l3a9a ===> money

moot ===> cool

tmezek ===> to listen to music

lmo3alaja or l9ess ===> food

twacha ===> stuffs

twichia ===> a stuff

trifa = a piece of weed

trifa mhawra= a big piece of weed

mstouni/ chad stoun/ = he is funny / he is having fun

l3awd/ sat= a guy

santipa/ jjama= girlfriend

dghol/dajij/ternounou/ lbelbala = sth that makes u a headache

3aye9 = sb who is showing off

flbla = comes from ‘‘fl blassa’’ it means now

chrih/tla7 = get the hell out

sat /sata = boy/girl

9rtassa / touta / 9ou9a / m9ou9za / titiza = a pretty girl

wooowww and there r a lot of more weird words like those :smiley:
personally i used them when im talking with my friends , what about u ‘’ a sitan " (plural of sat ) ???

I got some in my Darija vocab list at home, will add some when i get home nchallah. :slight_smile:

Interesting words, and I have to add that when i learn moroccan slang, sometimes other moroccans don’t understand me when i use them, last time I said “dertiliya larara” which I had learnt on this forum, and they were like “WHAT?”

hahahahahahahahahahah LA
i like that word i use it too and first time i told mom madirlich l arara … she was like WTF ur gonna kill me with this vocab hhhhhhh

yeah i told u pay attention with these words

Ok I’m gonna add some words too, but I don’t know if they’re all fully correct or even slang-ish.

7abess
= stupid

a bba
= slangish for “hey bro” or “mate”

Awwah = wow!

sda3 rass
= headache

chi sda3 = something amazing (?)

l3yaqalogy = science of showing off

khorotologie
= crappiness - everyone has their own interpretation i guess.

arara = trouble/headache

dertiliya l arara = when someone keeps repeating something, it means something like “it does error (now)” from too much repetition

Awwah! thanks sitan for such vocabularies. I like to learn such vocabs in languages I know so to be aware of what’s goin’ on…

I’ve heard the word “l3aqa” and perceived it means money, but didnt know that it is a slang!!

Twita --> Pretty girl
hiiiiiiiiiiiiya —> Good hachich
spik --> to talk (makanspiki ma3k, i don’t speak with you)
Ven! --> To exit/pass fassssssssssst (whit V like F, like wind)
ruina --> a mess, something gone wrong or tupsy-turby (from spanish ruina, that means that rests of a old building, a roman, for exemple or a crak of an enterprise)
riuna-f-kuzina --> Literaly, a mess in the kitchen, from spanish cocina, kitchen. Very used in Tangier.
Souqu khawi --> Bad bisness with him, not careful (Tanjawi, Suqu khawi).
tka7ka7 --> D7ak (Wach ntina katka7ka7 3liya oula ma3ya? / Are you laughing on mi or with me?)

All used in Tanger, and I can assure you everybody who lives people understand it (young ones specially)
Please, somebody, correct the fonetics or what could be wrong, because it’s all listen at zanqa, so i’m not 100% sure to catch it well.
I’ve got loooooots more, just let me think :slight_smile:

Thanks for the precedent posts, very usefull.

1 Like

@ LA
ive never heard 7abess looll but its good
a bba = means , o dad … but yeah we use it in slang to say bro , in this case i’ll add ''l3moum" which means uncle and bro in the urbandictionary

@ ouazzani
in our darija we dont use “7iya” only for 7chich … for example : tomobil 7iya , sata 7iya …
and “9tala” is a synonime too
for the word ruina , thats not slang loooolll the first word i learnt from mom , she always used to yel at me : madirlich ruina f salon rah jayyini diaf hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the other words apart from sou9o khawi r used only in tangiers i think

Ok, thanks.
[q]madirlich ruina f salon rah jayyini diaf hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh[/q]
Ah, Khawa: lwalida qalet dyman nafs jmo3 fl lughat diala… I hated diaf.
Nice to know about “ruina” and 7iya. We also say w3ra. It looks also very known everywhere.

I was told ages ago that wa3mmi is the moroccan version of ya 3mmi that’s used by Middle Easterners and Egyptians… is it used commonly though?

in morocco we use " a ssi " more than " a 3mi "

Okay, thanks MD.

A couple of those words I grew up with just believing they were normal words lool.

I noticed the people from Tanger / Chamal have some slightly different ways of saying things. Like in Taroudant/Agadir and everywhere else I have been, we usually say “Hakda” and in Tanger when getting directions from some kids they say “Haida”.

Yeah, f7al haida.

And what does Haida or Hakda mean??

I can’t give you a direct translation, but it means “like this”.

hakda ykouno wlad lblad :stuck_out_tongue:

thx stealth. I get it.

Moved to the exercises forum for containing learning material.
Sticked thread. Additional vocabulary is welcome.

[quote=LallaAïcha]I got some in my Darija vocab list at home, will add some when i get home nchallah. :slight_smile:

Interesting words, and I have to add that when i learn moroccan slang, sometimes other moroccans don’t understand me when i use them, last time I said “dertiliya larara” which I had learnt on this forum, and they were like “WHAT?”[/quote]
oww aisha i love to use darti lia arara and sometimes i replace it with darti lia dajej they mean the same you coused me headaches. one of my favourite word is atwach wish means stuff i love it i use it alllll the time
good luck hbiba

hhhhhh ok samia, thanks for the info akhtyy :smiley: