Books To Study Darija - Des livres pour apprendre darija

¤Moi, je suis là maintenant au Maroc, et j’ai acheté une photocopie d’un livre d’environ deux cents pages (mais il ne les fait pas). Il y a plein d’exemples, des phrases, et ce qui est bien c’est qu’en même temps d’avoir le vocabulaire, tu as la grammaire. Ce n’est pas vraiment un livre classique à proprement parler, c’est plutôt un guide. Tu as des informations qur le Maroc, et c’est vraiment bien.
Le livre est intitulé ‘‘L’Arabe marocain de poche’’, dans la collection ASSIMIL. Par contre, ce n’est pas moi qui ai acheté le livre, donc je ne peux pas vous avancer quant au prix, j’en suis désolée.
¤ Autrement, une collection très célèbre a édité un livre intitulé ''L’arabe pour les nuls",d’Amine Bouchentouf et il parait que c’est tout à fait ce qu’il faut. Si j’arrive à l’avoir en ebook gratuitement, je vous dirai où je l’ai trouvé pour qu’à votre tour, vous puissiez en profiter.

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

Try this link http://friendsofmorocco.org/learnarabic.htm

The major problem is that you have no CD for pronunciation!!!

Wa Salam
habrifaqir

Does anyone have a pdf format of the below book ? :hm:

A BASIC COURSE IN MOROCCAN ARABIC It is by Richard S. Harrell with Mohammed Abu-Talib and Wiliam Carroll.

s-salam 3laykum,

I bought “Parlons l’arabe dialectal marocain”, by Michel Quitout, and “L’arabe marocain de poche” (ASSIMIL), by Wahid Ben Alaya and Michel Quitout.

They are both french books, but very useful, especially for grammar and for thematic vocabulary.

Only problem for beginner like me : no audio examples.

I think “Parlons l’arabe dialectal marocain” is the best beginner book I’ve seen in FNC, GBRT, CSTLL or any other french library.
Grammar and verb rules are very clear, many adverbs, locutions, expressions, etc.
Many examples and so much vocabulary.

“L’arabe marocain de poche” is much smaller (good for travelling) but it seems they duplicated the first book (Michel Quitout helped them writing it though).

Have a good day.

Pour les français qui ne lisent pas l’anglais :

“Parlons l’arabe dialectal marocain”, de Michel Quitout, est à mon vraiment le meilleur livre français pour les débutants en darija, car les règles de grammaire et de conjugaison sont très claires, et il y a beaucoup de vocabulaire très utile et d’exemples.

Le petit bouquin assimil est pas mal, mais moins complet. Apparemment il a été écrit avec l’aide de Michel Quitout donc çà ressemble beaucoup à l’autre livre.

(Michel Quitout est prof d’arabe à la fac du Mirail à Toulouse)

D’ailleurs, pendant qu’on parle de lui, quelqu’un aurait-il lu son livre de proverbes marocains traduits en français? çà m’intéresserait d’avoir des avis… je suis sûr que çà doit être cool pour découvrir des mots et des tournures.

bye.

Aside from the book in English already mentioned, the only one that I know if is the Lonely Planet Moroccan Arabic Phrasebook. That has been very helpful for me, although I suppose it is not as comprehensive as the other book.

I thought it would also be helpful if there were some YouTube videos that anyone knows of that could be used as a resource? A while ago SM posted a YouTube video of the show Ana Wiyak, and I have been watching them since. They’re great cuz they’re all like 7 minute shorts. Does anyone else know of Moroccan TV shows posted on YouTube or anywhere that we can watch to hear the language and such?

I agree that videos of Moroccan sitcoms are a very good way to practice, because you can listen to the pronunciation at the same time, and this is very important to learn. I thought that the few ones I already posted weren’t that popular :roll:.

I’ll be posting more, promise :). I am already youtubing them.

Autumn, here is a first one.

Hi habrifaqir,

the side you mentioned is great!

Here are all the chapters of their own book as pdf:
http://friendsofmorocco.org/arabictoc.htm

Only the chapter 10 can not be opened, and they forgot the chapter
“Supplementary Grammar Lessons” - the link points to the next chapter, “More Useful Expressions”, and so the confusion goes on until the end.

On http://friendsofmorocco.org/learnarabic.htm is a link to the complete pfd - but I couldn’t open this file.
Then there is the link to the word document - this works, only several pictures are missing.

I got the chapter 10 and the “Supplementary Grammar Lessons” (very interesting!!!) from the word-file, the rest from the pdfs, so I’ve got everything complete now, except two or three pics.

I’ve no idea about that organisation and the philosophy behind - but anyway, so far it is the best teaching book for moroccan arabic I’ve found so far.

It would be great, if we had a thread here where we could post our solutions of the exercises of the book and some morrocan speaking could correct us, or post a correct solution, so that everybody could compare it with his/her own.

Maybe there is also somebody willing to read some of the textes for us and to post it as an audio file? Am I dreaming? Yeah, but this would be really cool.

What are the morrocans among you thinking about this book?

Kind regards, Xsara

I found older versions of the Peace Corp Manual online (1986 & 1994). They give some additional informations: http://eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/15/15/6e.pdf http://eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/14/cb/d4.pdf

Also I found The Training Manual for Rehab also from the Peace Corp (1984) http://eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/1c/33/52.pdf

I don’t think that the next one is good, but it might help somebody:Form Eastern to Western Arabic (1974). It compares Levantine to Moroccan Arabic.

Moroccan Intermediate Reader II (1969) I couldn’t get the first part of it.

I´m searching for a book in German and Drija!But I can´t find it anywhere!maybe somebody is here who has an idea!
thx

Sorry, but there isn’t anything good in German and I looked everywhere, try an English book.

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Taala wa Barakatuhu,

I am back to Fushalize your language, young lady (SM). However, before I proceed I would like for you all to indulge me as I cut-and-paste some information I came across regarding the publication of a series of short stories in Moroccan Darija. I know that Nuwwara wanted to find some books; perhaps others do as well. As for myself, I am more of a Al Fatawa Al Kubra lIbni Taymiyyah sort of reader. Having reached the level of proficiency in Fusha which I now enjoy, I am hesitant to mix it up too much with Darija on the written level. Oh, alright, I am not ‘hesitant’; I am inept. Every attempt I make at typing a Moroccan word or phrase is accompanied by massive interference from my platform language, Fusha…But I can make myself well understood verbally when I relax and don’t think about the roots from which my spoken idiom is emerging. Incidentally, for you young folks who are just mastering Fusha, speaking and writing in a dialect will most likely weaken your achievement in MSA, and you will probably at some point or another, if you are going for a career in linguistics or a professorial position at a University, become so darned adept with the dialect you concentrate on in speaking that you will have anxiety and encounter difficulties when called upon to carry on conversations in Fusha. I know I read it, write it, listen to lectures in it, and attempt to teach/tutor it, but I have a lot of interference from Moroccan Darija and get more than a few butterflies in my stomach when I am called upon to converse in it. (Seeing as that was a reaaaalllllyyy long sentence, I meant I have trouble conversing in MSA now, despite the fact that I read very old and venerable publications which would make my own husband keel over in boredom and frustration were he called upon to comprehend them without the aid of a dictionary and some grammar refreshers.)

Now, for the pasting:

Darija is now seeping into the media with a liberalisation of the air waves and the creation of magazine Nichane, banned from newsstands for two months this year after publishing a list of popular jokes about Islam, sex and politics. Many Darija expressions are the invention of rap musicians from the sprawling suburbs of Casablanca, whose rhymes are reaching more people thanks to new music stations whose sole priority is boosting audience numbers and advertising revenue.

“It was an obvious decision to broadcast in Darija,” said Imane Laraichi, communications manager at Hit Radio in Rabat, which launched last August.

“You wouldn’t ask the presenters of TF1 in France why they broadcast in French.”

The first Moroccan literature entirely in Darija appeared recently, a book of short stories by Youssef Amine Elalamy and Internet chatrooms are buzzing with conversations in the tongue using the Latin alphabet.

Social workers are using it for health awareness campaigns and to educate deprived youngsters, breaking down a language barrier they say stops people from becoming active citizens able to understand world events and influence their own futures.

“There is a feeling that we must put in place a real bridge to exchange knowledge across the yawning gulfs in our society,” said sociologist Youssef Sadik.ztravelz

Now, the quote is over and I am back. I just want to reiterate my firm stand that not one of the more than twelve Arabic dialects nor any of their sub-dialects is a language. I think that they must be relegated to permanent status as varieties of spoken Arabic, and I firmly believe that it would be a baaaaaddddd mistake to formalize any of them into a separate language, such as has happened to the Maltese Language. Does any one of you out there consider Maltese to be an Arabic dialect, incidentally?

And last but not least, Mbrook l3awashr!!!

Regards, The mother of 99 computer dwelling Maryams.

Could you please give me the link, where did you get the information from you quoted here?

I sent you my response via e-mail, Nuwwara, alright?

But I didn’t get your e-Mail :frowning:

Are you sure you didn’t receive it? It will not be marked Ummaryam99, but with my own name, the initials of which are S.S. I sent it to the e-mail address beneath your flower.

Yes, I doubble checked it and I checked that the e-mail here is correct.

Well, I don’t know what happened to it, but I will be glad to try again, Nuwwara.

I didn’t get anything, I better write to you so, that you get my e-mail adress. Did you get my mail?

Nuwwara, I am writing this note so that this topic can move forward… have you found any other books that we might be interested in? And, I have a serious question which no doubt I should know the answer to, so it’s a little embarrassing to ask it… Why is it, “Mmalin ddar”? My brain keeps telling me that it should be, “Mwalin ddar”…