assalamu alaykom

HELLO!!!
Inchallah you are all well…
Ana Puertorikania min USA.
I love moroccan culture. I want to learn darijja so that I may immerse myself completely in everything Maghribi. I’m really excited to be a part of this forum. :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum, Ayita :). I am glad you found us.
I see that you already speak some Moroccan Arabic, right? Start doing exercises right away, and ask about everything you want to know about the culture. We are here to help.
See you around :).

Barak allahu fik.You are very kind for offering help to those of us who want to learn. itkellum chwiyaaaa darijja daba. I am so glad to be here.

Baraka Allahu fîk as well :).
Kanhdr is better suited for ‘I speak’/‘I talk’ in Darija than kantkllm by the way :hap:, a verb that isn’t used elsewhere but in Morocco.

chockran :slight_smile: Inchallah I will be able to say Kanhdr darijja bzzf someday :^^:

Kolshî 3nd Allah qrîb, as we say in Darija. “Everything is close to God”, meaning that nothing is out of His control, and everything is possible.

mar7aba bîk ya Ayita !

( Beware the teatcher, she’s shdîda bezzf, and she gives some 3oqôbât ) :fouet:

metsherfin Onc’Kamel :slight_smile: Thank you for welcoming me :slight_smile:

Nice signature, Aya. By the way, can you read Arabic? Did you learn some MSA?

Onc’Kamel, your a good :sac: of mine, you’re 3oqoba-free for the moment ;).

Actually I have just started learning MSA. But I find it quite difficult as far as reading it. I was able to get the signature translation from a good friend of mine :slight_smile: The signature is a favorite saying that an old college professor of mine used to say all the time. I found it very wise and very true. I believe actions are louder than words and this saying fits just right…

I like the saying too :). I know someone who says it often too.
Reading Arabic is SO easy, with practice. There is a reading exercise over here.
By the way, what makes you interested in Moroccan Arabic? Have you ever been to Morocco? I guess you have, since you know the meals :^^:.

Inchallah someday I will have the oppurtunity to visit Morocco. Well I converted to Islam in 2001 and when I started to attend Friday prayers I met many moroccan sisters. In 2002 I became engaged to a moroccan man who was here from Sla. To make a long story short: Six years later I have found a second home in my moroccan friends and consider them as much family as anyone to whom I am related by blood. I have also aquired a fond fascination with l’maghrib. I think Allah has shone a special light upon maghrib making it’s people some of the warmest and most hospitable people in the world.

[quote=SimplyMoroccan]Nice signature, Aya. By the way, can you read Arabic? Did you learn some MSA?

Onc’Kamel, your a good :sac: of mine, you’re 3oqoba-free for the moment ;).[/quote]
:sac: ??? Do you mean I’m your sherpa ? :blink:

What’s a sherpa?
The icon is a stuuuuuuuudent! Since you called me teacher :blink:.

Mâ shâ Allah :). Inshallah, some day you will come and see the country by yourself, now you’re just seeing prototypes :D. Mr7bâ bîk anytime.

Un sherpa est un porteur dans l’himalaya (the same word in English - kîf îqôlha biljarida ?)

J’ai dit ça à cause du sac à dos :^^:

[quote=Onc’Kamel]Un sherpa est un porteur dans l’himalaya (the same word in English - kîf îqôlha biljarida ?)

J’ai dit ça à cause du sac à dos :^^:[/quote]
Very condescending to the sherpas! They are guides, and not just carry your bag! :hap: Lmohim, I didn’t know this word before, that’s the whole point. There wouldn’t be a word for that in Darija, I don’t even know how a sherpa would be called in Arabic. Honest.

So lets call them sherpas, what else !

Well If the prototypes have anything to speak for the country I must say it is a very wonderful one.
Sherpa? Is a guide?

Aya, I wasn’t under-estimating your friends, I was just saying that there is more to see in Morocco. But I am sure the Moroccan people you know gave you a complete good idea about the country and culture.
Sherpa, yes, a guide. But that’s an English word, not a Moroccan Arabic one.