translations - music and tea...

Hi,
There are a couple of terms I can’t find translations for. I’d appreciate any help!

1. mint tea without black tea (only pure peppermint) - ???
    (And is this generally available in Morocco, or would it be difficult for people to make?)

2. music-related terms:
    music - ???
    piano - ???
    violin - ???

Thanks very much!

Hello and welcome aboard :). Feel free to tell us a little about yourself in the new members section.

Now for the translations, I assume you want them in Moroccan Arabic. So let’s see.

[quote]1) mint tea without black tea (only pure peppermint) - ???
(And is this generally available in Morocco, or would it be difficult for people to make?)[/quote]
When there is no tea in the tea, then it’s no tea :^^:. Since I don’t like tea, I’d sometimes make a mint drink: Boiled water on mint, plus sugar.
So, a cup of mint-drink (if we can call it so) is: kas dyal nn3na3.
[3 is the sound produced when you pull the back of your tongue back into your throat a bit.]

1. music-related terms:
    music - mosiqa.
    piano - piano!
    violin - kamanja.

SM, this helps! Thanks.

(And you’re right about a drink without tea being ‘not tea’! I’ve just heard it called ‘tea’ so many times that I’ve fallen into the habit myself!)

Dyal means of.
Cup = kas.
Of = dyal.
Mint = n3na3.
The Darija expression is exactly like the English one! So there is absolutely NOBODY in your drink :^^:. Feel secure, and enjoy it!
And well, we do not call it atay (tea) in here. We call it n3na3 (mint). We say a cup of mint, not a cup of tea, the two being two different. Just in terms of colors, the latest looks darker.
And by the way, a funny thing! What you called “black tea” (it looks black to me too!) is actually called green tea. Go figure!

normally you shouldnt have any “black tea” in ur tea in morrocco for they only put green tea :^^: