sheep

Ahlan everybody!

I’m desperate. I hope someone can help me on time! I just found out that I will be left alone to do “sheep duties” on Eid and I have no idea how to do it. Last year I wanted to learn to clean the whole thing after it’s slaughtered but my MIL would not hear of it. Now she decided to spend the day with her other son, understandably since he’s sick, but I don’t know what to do. Help!!! Thank you.

Angie

Wo! This is a tough situation for someone who doesn’t know how to deal with the sheep! :open_mouth: It will be hard to describe it though.
For the head, you have to braten it… Then it has to be washed very well.
The first part to be served is the liver, that’s to be grilled.
For the internal parts, you have to clean them very well too, and probably cook them for lunch if that’s how it goes there. The rest of the sheep will be hanging till the next day before you have to deal with it.
Some families have the habit of serving the head for lunch on the Eid day, so I am not sure if you’ll have to cook it or not.
Was that helpful?

Thank you!! So, basically it’s just washing everything very well, right? Here they take the head to be… I guess burned and the meat to the butcher, so that it’s OK. The internal parts (the organs, and especially the intestines and the stomach is where I’m really lost). Well, I hope I do well. Thank you again and Eid Mubarak Saaid to everyone.

Angie

[quote=daarijalearner]Thank you!! So, basically it’s just washing everything very well, right? Here they take the head to be… I guess burned and the meat to the butcher, so that it’s OK. The internal parts (the organs, and especially the intestines and the stomach is where I’m really lost). Well, I hope I do well. Thank you again and Eid Mubarak Saaid to everyone.

Angie[/quote]
So it’s not you burning the head? Here we do it at home. And you get the butcher to cut the whole sheep on the 2nd day, or we do it at home (not easy!). Nor for the internal organs, the intestines are the tricky ones, you have to kind of enter the intestine in the tap so that it gets filled (I suck in description), and then you squeeze the water out of it cleaning it from inside. You repeat that several times, as the last things the sheep ate remain there, as well as… well you know. The smell isn’t what you’ll particularly love. But inshallah you’ll do well :).

You did just fine in description and, Allhamdulillah, me too in “sheeping”. It wasn’t as bad as I had expected. My husband helped a lot (not that he knew much either, but it was better than me alone :mdr: He was happy that we finished early (by 11 am we were eating!). You know, it was our first Eid by ourselves… dealing with a sheep, I mean. We’ve been married for almost 14 years but in the States, well, there’s no such thing as slaughtering your sheep in your backyard :cry: and for the 4 years we’ve been in Kenitra, we live with my MIL so it’s been her basically doing everything… until today!!! I’m happy. thank you.

I am verry happy for you Angie :slight_smile: I saw your thread yesterday and I didnt know how could I help but Asmaa is here ;),I was thinking about you this morning because its really not easy as it seem, see even I am Moroccan I dont know how could I deal with the sheep by myself :^^:

I am glad you did great Angie. By 11 at my place, the butcher didn’t even arrive yet! But it all went smooth afterwards :).
Meriem, you don’t know how to do what I said? :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not that I really help with that, my mom is like Angie’s MIL, she likes to do things by her own, and the kitchen is generally a private territory, but if I was left alone with it, I think I’d manage. I never cooked tqelya though :unsure:.

I am talking about the whole sheep,doing all by myself is not really easy :frowning:

My mom is like yours she likes to do things by herself, I am just like her when I do something I do it all by myself.

I discoverd this when they have traveled and I was left at home with my cousin(she came from another city), i was doing most things by my own, when my cusin want to help I ask her just to stay or to do something else but sometimes I let her work with me in the same thing but I must attend :p,in the beginning she had thought it was a kindness from me :stuck_out_tongue: but in the end she knew that I am just like that, and its not only with house-working O_o I guess I’m not possessif I just like to attend things by my own.

Well, I’m glad that my MIL is not the only one. Sometimes I feel kind of sad when she tells me not to help and since I still don’t learn the language… well, it makes room for lots of misunderstandings, sadly. I guess now when I find something she does or says as hurtful, I should better think that we are just different. Definetely my problem is that I always take things personally; I should learn not to give too much importance to things. Thanks. Angie