Registering my baby's birth?

Salam

I hope someone can please help me…

I’m British, i am married to a Moroccan and have just given birth to my son 3 weeks ago… I have registered him already so he has his birth certificate…

But how do i go about registering him with the Moroccan authorities? Do i have to go to the Moroccan embassy in London? Can we register him when my son and I go to Morocco next month (incheallah)?

My husband is in Morocco so he wouldnt be able to go to the Moroccan embassy with me- does that mean I wouldnt be able to register our son?

My husband says that we’d have to wait until he’s over 1year old before we can register him there, but im not so sure if that’s true? Please can someone advise me…

Thank you so much

Layla

Hi Layla,

You don’t have to wait until your child is over 1 year old. The Consulate General of New York states that registration of your child should be done within 1 year after his birth. If you submit your registration after 1 year the file will be sent to the court in Morocco for the Judge’s approval. Here’s the link to the ‘Child Registration’ page of the NY Consulate.

I’m pretty sure the same rule applies for the consulates in England. To make sure, you’d best contact the Moroccan embassy in London yourself. They should be able to answer the other questions you have as well.

EMBASSY OF THE KINGDOM OF MOROCCO
49, QUEENS GATE GARDENS LONDON SW7 5 NE
TEL 0207 581 5001-4
FAX 0207 225 3862
E-MAIL: ambalondres@maec.gov.ma