Questioooons!

Hey, i’m new here, and my Darija skills are pretty poor so far, and I really want to improve so, any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. In this sentence: 3endi bzzaf dial leflous ; what does the “dial” actually mean? I am aware that dyali = my, dyalek = your etc, but I don’t get the meaning here.
  2. Does “3endi” just stand on it’s own, or do I need to put: anaa 3endi? If “3endi” stands on its own, is that the same for all present tense verbs?
  3. and what’s the actual way to say “I like”? I got told “kanbghi” by somebody, and then i’ve seen 3ziz 3liyya or something? Are the two interchangeable?

Thanks in advance, I hope i’ve posted to the right place! :slight_smile:

1- 3endi bzzaf dial leflous translate literally as I have a lot OF money. Dial here is often shortened to “d”: 3end bzzaf d leflous.

2- 3endi can stand alone.
It’s not a verb, actually. But to answer your question, yes, you can say all verbs without personal pronouns. You can say klit (I ate), just as you can say ana klit (I ate), with the first being the most commonly used.

3- Kanbghi is more for emotional affection towards people. I wouldn’t use kanbghi with an object. As for 3ziz 3liyya, you can use it for both people and objects. However, a person that you consider 3ziz 3lik (you like), stands at a lower position compared to someone to whom you say kanbghik (I love you) in terms of affection.
Ex:
3ziz 3liyya kseksou = I like/love couscous.
Rak 3ziz 3liyya bzzaf = You are very dear to me. (said to a family member, or a friend)
Kanbghik w nmout 3lik = I love yo to death. (used in a romantic way)

Is something is not clear, do not hesitate to ask more questions. I’ll be counting them, you still have a long way to go to reach the million and one questions ;).

Thanks! I’ve heard “Ou7ibouki/a” for I love you as well, are they interchangeable?

Is there another verb for I have? I was browsing through the forum and I saw “fiyya” or something, when someone was referring to have a fever?

Is there an exact translation for “3lik” because i’ve seen it in labas 3lik, yet i’ve seen labas said on its own as well. Confusing :expressionless:

And thridly, if it’s not too much trouble; how are regular verbs conjugated? I’ve got to grips with 3endi, 3endek, 3endha, 3endu etc and
a Moroccan guy taught me: anaa naas - i’m sleeping :D, but apart from that, the verbs are stopping me getting better :)##

3la - to/for?
Chukran 3la l’aide - thanks for the help? (I don’t know the world for help :d)

That’s MSA (Modern Standard Arabic), the formal Arabic. So you would only hear that in a movie using MSA, read it in a book, etc.

No, it’s just 3endi, 3endek, etc.
Fiyya literally means in me. While in English one “has” fever, it’s not the same in Darija. In Darija you got fever inside of you… if that makes sense to you.
Fiyya is the equivalent of “I feel”, but that’s not a verb, just like 3endi.
Ex: Fiyya jjou3 = I am hungry
Fiyya ssekhfa = I feel dizzy

3la = On.
3lik = On you.
Labas 3lik literally translates as: No harm on you. Sometimes we just say “labas?”/No harm?, you can add 3lik or omit it.

Can’t even count how many people requested a lesson on conjugation. I should have given it priority over other things long ago.

[quote]and
a Moroccan guy taught me: anaa naas - i’m sleeping :D, but apart from that, the verbs are stopping me getting better :)##[/quote]
That’s not a conjugation. It’s pronoun + adjective. It’s ana naa3s actually, for the record.
You’d say for feminine: Ana naa3sa.
Ntouma na3sin (you, plural, masculine)

[quote=.Sharleyx]3la - to/for?
Chukran 3la l’aide - thanks for the help? (I don’t know the world for help :d)[/quote]
Right, 3la can be used also as “for”.
Thanks for the help = Shokran 3la lmosa3ada.

You’re a life saver! Shukran bzzaf bzzaf!

It’s because the only conjugations I can find are MSA, and when I ask people; they only give me chunks, which make it hard to understand the rules of darija conjugation.

Chukran 3la lmosa3ada! I’ll most probably have more questions later, once i’ve drilled these things in :blush:

There are a few conjugations around in the forum, but what we need is a properly written lesson :neu:.

Welcome.

We do! I’ve seen people attempt to explain, but i’ve yet to see a regular conjugation system anywhere around.

Am I right in thinking 3la, 3lik etc can be translated as:

3la - to me, on me, for me?

and somtimes from me :stuck_out_tongue:

For excellent explanation of verbs and much else besides check out

The Peace Corps Manuel : Moroccan Arabic (sometimes referred to as PCM on this site)

You can download it for free. Highly recommended.

Wow. Just found it, looks greats =D Thanks!!

[quote=.Sharleyx]We do! I’ve seen people attempt to explain, but i’ve yet to see a regular conjugation system anywhere around.

Am I right in thinking 3la, 3lik etc can be translated as:

3la - to me, on me, for me?[/quote]
3la means to, on and for (or from as madridista said) so it’s just a preposition but 3liya means to me, on me, for me, from me

riiiiight guys?