question on tenses

this is from the thread darija chitchat, but no native speakers have weighed in yet

i thought i would repost here in the hope someone might see it and comment.

we’re wondering about when to use ka, and when to use ta

what i was taught:

ka- is for what we call in english grammar present continuous, use ka- to express the idea that something is happening now, at this very moment. It can also be used to show that something is not happening now.

ie-

You are learning English now.
Daba kta3lam langlais

You are not swimming now.
Maktn3oumch daba.

Are you sleeping?
Wach ktna3ss?

I am sitting.
Ana kngliss.

ta- is for what we call in english grammar present simple, use ta- to express the idea that an action is repeated or usual. The action can be a habit, a hobby, a daily event, a scheduled event or something that often happens. It can also be something a person often forgets or usually does not do.

ie-

The train leaves every morning at 8 AM.
L9itar tyemchi kol saba7 m3a 8 d sba7

The train does not leave at 9 AM.
L9itar matyemchich m3a 9 d sba7.

When does the train usually leave?
L9itar tyemchi fo9ach normalement?

that’s how i use it, i had to look the english tense names and the examples up on englishpage.com

this is what it says on the moroccan arabic wiki:

“Instead of the prefix ka, some speakers prefer the use of ta (e.g. ta-ne-kteb “I’m writing”). The co-existence of these two prefixes is due to historical differences. In general ka is more used in the north and ta in the south. In some regions like the east (Oujda) the majority of speakers don’t use any preverb (ne-kteb, te-kteb, y-kteb, etc.).”

anything? thank you!!!

Ka & ta are the same with no differences. it’s a matter of regional accents.

& we don’t say ka nor ta for some ing verbs such as sleeping & sitting: kangles/kan3es —> gals/na3s.

There’s the ta that means until/till, but that comes from 7tta, when ta dir does not mean you’re doing but until you do.