Moroccan Friday Couscous

For those of you who don’t know, it’s a Moroccan tradition/habit to have couscous on Friday. I wonder who started it, and why… I know that in old times, people used to have couscous every day, now it’s mostly on Fridays, when having someone over, or any other special occasion or family gathering…

This topic is for all of us to confirm whether we are enjoying the Moroccan Friday Couscous or just having some other banal meal…

Not enough maraq on this one! where is the maraqqqqq?

Enough mouth watering? hhhhhhhh

and oh yeah, blessed Moroccan Couscous Friday for meeeeeeee :wink:

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude u suck :s ur lucky we cant say mean words here amma kon weritk al coifeura dial tale3ba :s
dont disappear again :fouet:

ps- yeaaaaaaaaah couscous every friday … mom cant dare prepare sth else that day :no:

I have bayd & mateesha every friday.
I have couscous in the 2 3ids & in Asilah.

Mad, attansyou on sebban… you could have dropped me a line, ana ban li 7tta wa7ed ma msewweq lia :stuck_out_tongue:

I know you know you have it back home, but I mean as of TODAY did you or did you now have a Friday couscous? That’s the difference!

@PB: why? you don’t like couscous? or your mom doesn’t make it?

hahahahhahah duuude raki 3arfa m3eztek fl 2alb hihihihi :wink:

no today makayn couscous :frowning:

la ana kan3rf ghir actions that speak louder :wink:

now you’re back to topic: confirming that you had couscous this Friday (every Friday) or complaining about not having it :wink:

I don’t like the one Mom makes.

I don’t like the one Mom makes.[/quote]
ohhhh myyyyy Goooood you said the forbidden!!

I don’t like the one Mom makes.[/quote]
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude its not ur mom then :no:
u must look for ur biological mom

[quote=Darija-Lover]la ana kan3rf ghir actions that speak louder :wink:

now you’re back to topic: confirming that you had couscous this Friday (every Friday) or complaining about not having it ;)[/quote]
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol i bet i said it atleast once but dont remember in which thread

I know where :smiley: but chkoun dmen lik ana nchouf, kenti tekteb lia bini w binek :smiley:

lollll @ biological mother

3arfek bergaga w matzeglihach hhhhhh

Uffff, you guys are supposed to post in here every Friday and say whether you had couscous

I didn’t have couscous yesterday, hence the reason for me not posting, because I actually forgot it was Friday… couscous is the trademark of friday… Wait, jumu3a prayer should be :S omg, I am slipping on the dark side

mad, must has had couscous yesterday, since he is in Morocco
PB must has had eggs and tomatoes

anyone else?

btw, where did the CC go?

with extra vegetables, cuz it’s friday

You seriously mean you want to put the pictures but not the recipes? I’d be very interested in a good vegan for couscous for variation :smiley:

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh couscouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus i had a great one :stuck_out_tongue: made by mom
miam miam
next friday i’ll take pix

I dont like it…

u dont know what ur messing :stuck_out_tongue:
the next friday couscous with kerdass by mom :smiley:
everybdy is invited :^^:

'Afak, what spices do you use? And why couscous only of Fridays? Is it more special than other foods? :hm:

Couscous with Chicken, Almonds, and Squash

In Morocco, couscous is steamed in a couscoussière, a two-part pot with a perforated top, but a number of makeshift couscous steamers are possible. The easiest, which I use, is a colander lined with cheesecloth. Other choices include metal or wooden vegetable steamers lined with cheesecloth or a large fine mesh sieve. The primary consideration is that the holes be small enough to prevent the couscous from falling through.

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups sliced almonds
1/4 cup olive oil
1 chicken (3 pounds), cut into 8 serving pieces
2 medium onions, diced
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into
1/2-inch cubes (about 3-1/2 cups)
1 Tbsp turmeric
Pinch of saffron
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup canned chick peas, rinsed and drained
8 cups chicken stock
4 cups instant couscous (about 1-1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Put the almonds on a small sheet pan or pie plate and toast for 8 to 9 minutes, or until browned but not too dark. Set aside.

Put 2 Tbsp of the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Work in batches to avoid crowding the pan, which will make it harder to brown the chicken. Remove the chicken to a platter. Add the onions and squash and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the onions soften. Return the chicken to the pot and add the turmeric, saffron, and cinnamon. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring well.

Add the chick peas and stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, uncovered, or until the chicken is tender and the squash is cooked. Season with salt and pepper.

Put the couscous in a steamer lined with cheesecloth and place over the simmering stew. Cover and cook for 16 minutes, or until the couscous is cooked and looks swollen. Transfer the couscous to a decorative shallow bowl and season with 1/2 cup of the stew liquid, the remaining olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

Add the almonds and cilantro to the stew. Check the seasoning again, place the chicken pieces and vegetables in the middle of the couscous, and pour the broth around the edges. Serve immediately.

source

yeah it is so special … and as someone already said ; before moroccans ate couscous everyday but nowadays we only eat it in fridays which is a special day for muslims