ma3zuumeen

Hello…is there anybody out there?
By the way, I usually hear the word ma3zuumeen for being invited somewhere. Ehna ma3azoomeen 3nd fulan nnhar assebt. Is that regional or just a synonym? I know jazar is khizo in most of Morocco, but in Tanja they say ja3atha.

Since we say you guys invited (ma3zomeen), means you all, so I’d say Its just regional

Regional to where? Casa? And, since Casa is basically a city of immigrants, do they have many many dialects coexisting, or has a unique Casa dialect emerged yet?

Did I said Casa?, Can you tell me why exactly you choose that City?

I think my first answer it’s very clear!

I said Casa because that is where my husband grew up.

Did you mean Taghazout? The beach near Agadir?

Now to answer your question, Casa doesn’t really have its own dialect, but it has its own accent. A nice one, if you ask me. Casaouis don’t need more than 10 seconds to realize that I am Berber, from Agadir. I like the way they have some vowels expressed clearly. I like the Rbati accent as well. Tanja’s is a whole different story, indeed!

And to answer your other question, ma3zomeen is not from Moroccan Darija at all. That’s more middle eastern, used in Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, etc. We mentioned the word 3ozooma on the forum very recently. The Darija equivalent of ma3zomeen is m3rôDîn. And that’s used everywhere I know of.
In Oujda, they also have some typical vocabulary, very influenced by the proximity with Algeria. When I come to realize the difference, I see how rich and evolving Darija is.

I don’t think Loubna was offended, she probably just didn’t understand your question.

And oh, by the way. I moved this to a separate thread, to make more sense. This way, we have each request separated from the others, and the conversation can follow one main idea at a time.

Yes, I do believe I meant Taghazout.

Berber women do not speak any Darija only if they lived all their lives in a Berber rural areas. If they move to a city, they definitely get to learn some Darija to get by with others on a daily basis.
But I am not saying that in cities everyone speaks Darija. Agadir is the example of a Berber city.

I guess it’s not so easy to generalize about accents and regions.

Mashallah! Your eldest daughter seems to be the one doing best :). But I am sure that she didn’t grew birra (beer) ;). Remove the i, and the sentence will perfectly make sense!
I don’t think it’s only about mixed couples, it’s about the educational system as a whole. Not many Americans speak many languages, right? Whereas in Morocco, one can be brought up multilingual with no major difficulties. Speaking Berber at home, learning fus7a from cartoons and mixing it with Darija, learning French in primary school, etc. But hey, our educational systems is evaluated to be one of the worst in the world, unfortunately, and it turned out that recently kids who enroll in public primary schools generally don’t get that much of a good level in French.

PS: You received my e-mail, right?

Let me go do that right now.

Done.

Al7amdolillah! I had a feeling that you didn’t receive it. Why! You’d be more convinced that I am ignoring YOU in particular or something.

Note to everyone:
If you don’t hear from me within a few days of sending an e-mail, please do send me a reminder. I don’t bother check spam messages to see if any actual e-mail dropped there, and most of the time, I first read an e-mail and star it to get back to it, and then it sometimes gets lost in the pile of e-mails. I never intend to ignore anyone.
Thank you.

So did you get my e-mail? I’m waiting for your feat back to continue to translate.

Before Ummaryam gets to you, I think that you have a typo for feedback.
Let me write to you now.

Oh I wasn’t careful, my spelling program told me to use that. Yeah, that happens if you do 4 things at the same time.

wakha wakha 3alayki wakha!

I finish some of it and I put my book away…

Ha ha! That’s Ummaryam threating me in public!
Wâkhâ 3lîk! This is what you say to someone when you blame them. “Wâkhâ 3lîk! You didn’t come to my party”. You use it also to threaten them. “Wâkha 3lîk! Wait until I get you!”.
PS: 3alayki was so MSA again.

@ Nuwwara:
Some of what?