Learning Darija, help 3afak

Hello all, I recently started learning Darija and I’ve come across a few words that I haven’t been able to find translations anywhere online.

I know how to construct a negation but I’m just struggling to figure out if it’s “I don’t like” or “I don’t want”? Mayb9ach

Al7al I’ve seen some sources say upset and some say it’s part of saying “hello”

Last one is khyali. So far I’ve only found khoya as the closest comparison but it looks like that means brother, so I’m pretty sure I’m looking at a totally different word.
I know dyali for possessive so is this word just ending with a possessive suffix?

Thank you in advance to anyone who answers! It’s difficult to find reliable sources for Darija online

• Mayb9ach: There’s nothing left.

• Al7al: This word can have different meanings based on context. “7al” (حال) in Arabic can mean “condition” or “state”, and with the definite article “al” (ال), “al7al” could mean “the condition/state”. If someone is asking about “al7al”, they might be inquiring about your well-being, which can be a way of saying “hello” or “how are you”.

• Khyali: The root “khayal” (خيال) in Arabic means “imagination”. If “khyali” follows the same structure, it could mean “my imagination”. The suffix “i” (ي) is indeed a possessive suffix in Arabic, meaning “my”. also note that khyali also translates to my shadow. it all depends on the context the word was used in for.

1 Like

Hi thank you for this! It was definitely the word imagination!

1 Like

@SOUFIANE_1 your response was so well put. I have been trying to learn more about root words, where can I do this?

hey man, well, where do i even start? if you wanna learn about root words. google is your friend…
i mean there are a lot of ways to go about this, the ones off the top of my head right now:
Online Courses and Websites
Books
Language Exchange Platforms
Language Forums and Social Media
YouTube Channels
yeah, so these i think are the main ones. good luck man.