lalla

1. what does it mean by lalla. is it a title for a bachelor girl or married woman?

2. if we don’t know the name of:
    baby
    little boy
    little girl
    young lady
    old lady
    old man
    shopkeeper
    driver taxi
    how can we address them in darija?

3. I used to hear egyptians say “hadratak”. is there a similar word in darija

Thanks in advance

“Lalla” has nothin to do with married or not married. & i thas the meaning of: mum(not mother), my lady…etc

1. “Lalla” is usually used to call or talk to a girl or woman (often woman) that you don’t know her name, or don’t know her at all.
    Like when you wanna ask what time it is from any random woman : what time is it please mum/a lalla ?(sh7al sa3a 3afak a lalla?)

2. “Lalla” is used by girls/women who work in houses to clean & cook, while adressing or taking an order from the wife (house owner).
    Like : yes mum/a lalla (wakha a lalla). it’s also used in the same way by boys/men who work as janitors, garden keepers…etc.

*In similar case, “Lalla” is used to refer to a higher class woman, such as the royal family women.

1. “Lalla” sometimes is used to express gentleness & modesty.
    Like when you thank me for translating to you, i say : you’re wellcome mum/a lalla (hanya a lalla).
    *In this case, it doesn’t matter if the female is a woman or just a lil girl. it works for both.

Note : for men we use the word “Sidy” (master), & it’s used exactley like the cases above.

[quote=norhayuza]2. if we don’t know the name of:
baby
little boy
little girl
young lady
old lady
old man
shopkeeper
driver taxi
how can we address them in darija?[/quote]
Usually boys & girls that we don’t know are simply called by their linguistic name : “weld” (boy) & “bent” girl.
We can put the old lady/man in the cases of “Lalla” & we can use both “bent” & “lalla” for young lady.
Shopkeeper = mool 7anoot
Taxi driver = chéfor taxi or chéfor dyal taxi (dyal = of).

“hadratak” means “your exellancy” , which we can replace with “sidy” (master)…always in Darija of course

You’re wellcome a Lalla :wink: