Kayen

Ok what does “kayen” mean and when is it generally used? thanks!

Litterally, it comes from Fos7a “Ka’in” = existing / being.

In Darija, Kayen means the same: something exists, being, there is, there are…etc. it’s the present form of “kan” (it was/there was).

It’s simply used in nearly the same cases as “there’s”:

• there’s a reason why i didn’t come--------kayen a reason why i didn’t come. (kayen sabab 3lash ma jitsh)
  • hello ! is there any body in the house ?------------Hello ! kayen anybody in the house ? (salam, kayen shi wa7ed f ddar?)

Denial form: ma-kayen-sh = makayensh/makinsh.

• no, there’s nobdy in the house----------no, makayn nobody in the house (la, makin ta wa7ed f ddar)
    note: makayn is for long answer, like the sentence above. makayn"sh" is for short answer: no, ma kaynsh. (no there isn’t any)

Trivia: during the previous US elections, Obama fans in Morocco (US embacy workers), printed t-shirts with the word “McCain’sh”. (it turned out later that Obama is Makinsh either)

Ash/shno kayen? = what happened ? - what’s going on ? - what’s up? - what do you think ?

Litterally, it comes from Fos7a “Ka’in” = existing / being.

In Darija, Kayen means the same: something exists, being, there is, there are…etc. it’s the present form of “kan” (it was/there was).

It’s simply used in nearly the same cases as “there’s”:

• there’s a reason why i didn’t come--------kayen a reason why i didn’t come. (kayen sabab 3lash ma jitsh)
  • hello ! is there any body in the house ?------------Hello ! kayen anybody in the house ? (salam, kayen shi wa7ed f ddar?)

Denial form: ma-kayen-sh = makayensh/makinsh.

• no, there’s nobdy in the house----------no, makayn nobody in the house (la, makin ta wa7ed f ddar)
    note: makayn is for long answer, like the sentence above. makayn"sh" is for short answer: no, ma kaynsh. (no there isn’t any)

Trivia: during the previous US elections, Obama fans in Morocco (US embacy workers), printed t-shirts with the word “McCain’sh”. (it turned out later that Obama is Makinsh either)

Ash/shno kayen? = what happened ? - what’s going on ? - what’s up? - what do you think ?[/quote]

oh interesting thanks and LOL @ the McCain’sh part hehe