how to put "vowels" in the root form(verb).

we just find the root forms without any “vowels”, so it’s very difficult to conjugate and pronounce the verbs. For instancce: the verb “to speak” is “tkllm” and we put a lletter “a” between K and L , and between L and M. (Ana kantkallam). But the second “a” is dropped away in the plural forms (we, you, they). (7na kantkallmo). are there any rules? how can i know where to put the “vowel” sound?

Maybe it would be better if you put your questions in the exercise forum and not in the New Member section.

Your verb is not a good example. Normally the root has 3 letters (that can also be a long vowel or a hamza) there are some verbs with 4 letters and some where the 2nd and 3rd are the same. Where to put the vowels is complicated in darija it’s best to learn it with the conjugation of verbs.

[color=#FB0303]- Moved to the exercises forum -[/color]

First, the most common verb for “to speak” is hdr.
Second, if you ask me how I’d conjugate “I speak” using the verb tkllm, I’d say: Ana tkllmt. So what matters in conjugation, is the ending. Adding vowels has nothing to do with conjugation itself, but with the accent you have. As I often say, I personally notice that Northern people in Morocco add in more vowels in their speaking.
I say, as a learner, throw in as many vowels as it makes it easier for you to pronounce. It will make you understood, and speak with your own accent :).

One more thing. The verb tkllm actually has another meaning: To respond to someone who is calling you.
“Mona, tkllmî lmâma”. = Mona, go see mama, she is calling you.

I hope this answers your question. If not, then please let me know, and I’ll try my best to make it clearer.

thankyou, SM, i never knew that tkllm was used like that! :hap:

But that’s the case only when followed by L: Tkllm l… (roughly, to respond to…)
When you say tkllm m3a, then it’s definitely an adaptation of the MSA to darija: speaking with.

I just had tkellem used in a text used for “to speak Arabic”.

ohh, i understand; thanks :hap: