How To Learn Darija!!

if you are new here and you are looking to learn or practice but you are not sure where to start or you don’t see a lot of action on the forum, you have to go look back at some interesting threads, especially here in the exercises tab. there is a lot of back information to read if you prefer to read, or if you prefer to practice, just start replying and picking threads up, even if they are old!! almost all of these threads are open-ended and waiting for someone to pick them up!

yalla

I think I have learned more in the last two-three weeks than in the last few years.
I will have to go thru the posts and make some kind of self-training sheet so
I can actually use these terms in my conversations.

There’s a Facebook group that could be interested in this forum. Should I tell them?

Oh, I got a forum promotion too! Zween!

Iyeh, what is the facebook group? I also read through and print out a lot of the old threads, along with studying the Peace corps manual for Moroccan Arabic. Very helpful!

yay guys good job! i am wishing you a lot of luck and strength for sustaining your interest in learning darija!

@sahir1: sure, i think its always a positive thing to have more people who have an interest to come and keep building our community!

[quote=achminfar9]if you are new here and you are looking to learn or practice but you are not sure where to start or you don’t see a lot of action on the forum, you have to go look back at some interesting threads, especially here in the exercises tab. there is a lot of back information to read if you prefer to read, or if you prefer to practice, just start replying and picking threads up, even if they are old!! almost all of these threads are open-ended and waiting for someone to pick them up!

yalla[/quote]
where [can [I [go [to [learn [what [the [numbers [in [the [words [represent? [I [know [they [represent [letters [but [I [dont [know [the [letter [or[ the [sound.

I [dont [know [why [these [brackets [are [being [put [here [everytime [I [use [the [space [bar. [sorry

The most used numbers are

2 = a
ex: 2na = ana = I

3 = ain
ex: 3erss = Arss = wedding

6 = Ta
ex: 6abla = Tabla = Table

7 = Ha
ex: 7anan = Hanane = Tenderness

8 = ha (same sound in the word house)
ex: 8na = hna = here

1 Like

oh, and 9= Q
ex 9amr = Qamr =moon :-))

Thank you pakyrus and jdipiet1 <3 Now I just have to memorize the letter to the number and sound it makes.
Is there a site that talks about this or is does this have a certain name?

Not sure, but there’s a thread in this forum under exercises that’s called Our Transliteration Here’s the link:

http://www.speakmoroccan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17

produces