How Do You Say Cousin in Moroccan Arabic?

Can someone please tell me how to say cousin in Moroccan Arabic? I am referring specifically to the son of my mother’s brother, if that makes a difference.

That does make a difference, indeed.
It’s not a single word, so let me break it down:
My mother’s brother is khali. So my maternal male cousin is weld khali, and my maternal female cousin is bent khali.
My mother’s sister is khalti. So in this case, my maternal male cousin is weld khalti, and my maternal female cousin is bent khalti.
My father’s brother is 3ammi. So my paternal male cousin is weld 3ammi, and my paternal female cousin is bent 3ammi.
My father’s sister is 3amti. So in this case, my paternal male cousin is weld 3ammi, and my paternal female cousin is bent 3ammi.

I had read somewhere that that made the difference, thank you for covering all of it so I fully understood.

But did you make a mistake on that last part? You said my father’s sister is 3amti and so her son is weld 3ammi and her daughter bent 3ammi - But if my father’s sister is 3amti then shouldn’t her son be weld 3amti and her daughter bent 3amti? Or have I missed something?

You are right. That was a mistake, my bad.

I can’t find the edit button, so here goes:

Correction:
My father’s sister is 3amti . So in this case, my paternal male cousin is weld 3amti , and my paternal female cousin is bent 3amti.

1 Like