from The Sheltering Sky

I read it when I was in Tanger.
and I’ve got some help from a friend of mine.
but I still have something to know what it means.
I can read this in Korean
but I’m afraid if it fades away in translation,
even if it is nothing.
so, I’ll be happy for your help^^

1. R’mleh
  2. Daoua
  3. Hassi Inifell
  4. Gigherdh ish’ed our illi

maybe some are from Berber, which I’m not sure^^

Hi, I dont understand :frowning: so I’m just gonna write some words

1. R’mleh = maybe “Remla” = “sand”
  2. Daoua = ??
  3. Hassi Inifell = ??
  4. Gigherdh ish’ed “our illi” = “there is not”

I dont talk Berber :frowning: but I’m trying to learn it.

See ya

[quote=devanymix]Hi, I dont understand :frowning: so I’m just gonna write some words

1. R’mleh = maybe “Remla” = “sand”
  2. Daoua = ??
  3. Hassi Inifell = ??
  4. Gigherdh ish’ed “our illi” = “there is not”

I dont talk Berber :frowning: but I’m trying to learn it.

See ya[/quote]
thank you^^
yours is very helpful to me^^

see you around~~~

Daoua could be medicine. Daoua’ in MSA and dwa (doua) in Darija.
Hassi Inifell sound roughly close to “Hati inofl” = He is crazy. And that’s Berber by the way. Do you happen to have a context for these sentences? Or tell us about what happened when you heard them for us to try to guess what they are? You seem to write those from memory, huh?

And well done devanymix :D, our illi indeed means “there is not”. :wink:

[quote=SimplyMoroccan]Daoua could be medicine. Daoua’ in MSA and dwa (doua) in Darija.
Hassi Inifell sound roughly close to “Hati inofl” = He is crazy. And that’s Berber by the way. Do you happen to have a context for these sentences? Or tell us about what happened when you heard them for us to try to guess what they are? You seem to write those from memory, huh?

And well done devanymix :D, our illi indeed means “there is not”. ;)[/quote]
I moved the words themselves here from the book.
I had some difficulties of reading it,
'cos I encountered various languages such as Spanish, Portuguese, Darija, Berber>.< in it.
only those are what I didn’t know their meaning.
thanks to you, guys, it’s ok now, I think^^
thanks you~

Thanks SimplyMoroccan, that made me happy :smiley:

I guess this is pretty late in posting… but I maybe for future reference, The Sheltering Sky supposedly takes place in Algeria. I wonder how unlike the languages are from Morocco to Algeria…

I am not sure where in the North African Sahara the sheltering sky took place. But let me tell you, Moroccan Arabic and Algerian Arabic are pretty much similar. It’s more you get away from Morocco, more spoken Arabic in other countries become different.
In Oujda, a city that is on the borders with Algeria, people speak more much Algerians on the other side of the borders than us in the South of Morocco. One thing is sure, Moroccans and Algerians (and pretty much Tunisians also by the way) can understand each other easily.
I guess you don’t speak French, but you can have a look at the conclusions of two discussions we had so far comparing Arabic between the 3 countries. You can see some similarities and differences:
Here, and here, and the 3rd edition is over here.