Fatima's Hand

Although Fatima’s hand is not very known in Jordan and I don’t believe it could protect whoever wears it I liked the story and thought I would share it with you all since it’s popular in Morocco.

I found it in a Turkish website

Throughout northern Africa, Turkey, and in other parts of the Middle East, Muslims wear the necklace and , “Hand of Fatima” , as a jewelry and also for superstitious protection. Fatima was the daughter of the Prophet Muhammad who married Ali, the nephew of the Prophet. From their descendants Shi’a Muslims claim a direct line of authority over Muslims. Miracles were attributed to Fatima, such as when she prayed in the desert, it started raining. She is described as a faithful, holy woman.

“Its romantic story is as follows: One day Lady Fatima (daughter of the Holy Prophet Mohammed) was cooking helva ( halvah ) (the texture is like a dry oath meal , with sugar and butter in it . They use semolina as the main ingredient . ) in a pan in the garden when suddenly the door opened and her husband the caliph Ali entered along with the new bride. ( Islam allowed four times marriage to man ) concubine (slave-girl), she was deeply grieved and u the wooden stirring spoon in confusion dropped from her hand and unaware , she continued stirring the halvah with her hand. Because of the grief in her heart she never even felt the pain of her hand mixing the hot halvah. However, when her husband hurried to her side and exclaimed in surprise “What are you doing there, Fatima?” she felt her hand burning and the pain. Thus it is from that day on the hand of the Lady Fatima has been used in the Islamic world as a symbol of patience, abundance, and faithfulness, and thus it is that girls and women wearing this necklace from whose end the hands hang believe the hands of Lady Fatima will bring them good luck, abundance and patience.”

The story continues; the bride and Ali as the groom go into their wedding room . The house is wooden, and Fatima can not stop herself from looking through a tiny little hole of a room from the second floor. And when Ali leans over the bride, from that tiny hole, Fatima’s tear drops to his shoulder, which stops him.

So, the necklace of Fatima, rather popular in Islamic countries is formed of peaces shaped after a tear drop. The Ethnographical Museums of Turkey have fine examples. Fatima was the daughter of the prophet Mohammed, but in fact this hand has been around before Islam, and there is still much right hand-left hand magic in Morocco. The left hand is for doing bad things; it also protects against the evil eye if you put it palm up in front of you (so naturally that’s an insulting thing to do to someone, implying they have the evil eye)."

:smiley:

Thanks Hiba, it’s very interesting. :slight_smile:
My syster gave me a Fatima’s hand some years ago, which never leaves me.
Now that I known all that about Fatima’s hand, it’s even more precious to me.

yes, it is just an amulet against the evil eye. this practice surely belongs to the pre-islamic period, and it still goes on!

this is related to islamic teaching, The left hand is for doing bad things and the right one for good things… that’s true but it is not about magic or superstition.

there is an expression which means exactly the same: khâmsa 3la 3înîk! (five in your eye!) when saying that you put you hand in front of you, fingers drawn aside.

this expression is not necessary, you just can show your hand to the person.:devil:

You know what Fatima’s hand is called in Moroccan Arabic? It’s called Khmîsa. It’s originated from the word khamsa (khmsa), meaning five, as it represents five fingers.
When you are Muslim, you DO believe in the evil eye, as the prophet (pbuh) said that the evil eye, magic and jinn are things that do truly exist. When I was young, I doubted about the real effect of magic… In contrast, believing that Fatima’s hand can be effective against the evil eye is merely a cultural thing, and not based on religion.

Do you know about the Khmîsa event that is held in Morocco every year? It’s a ceremony for women, celebrating the achievement of the top 5 active and effective women of the country.

Thanks elise :smiley: I used to have something close we call it kharazeh zar2a but I lost it…

konouz thank you we also say “khamsa b3en el7asood” :smiley:

SM Thanks yes I read it’s called khmisa in Arabic and chamsa (pronounced like khamsa) in hebrew :smiley:

and I do believe in Jinn, magic, and 7asad and that the only way to protect ourselves is by reading Quran and asking God to protect us :^^:

but I didn’t know about the event that’s interesting I wonder what time of the year it’s held :smiley:

all this is true. I do believe in all this too. But as Hiba, i don’t believe that khmîsa has power against magic, Jinn, Devil or Evil eye. I do believe that only Qoran is powerful.

I agree, and that’s actually what I meant, believing in the power of the khmîsa has nothing to do with religion, but it’s still part of the Moroccan culture.

I think that Khmîsa is held every year on women’s day. It’s been celebrated for 11 years up to now. Here is a reportage about it on 2M, but it’s in French.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ko5w70BZU[/youtube]

you can’t find this in saudi arabia … It is HARAAM here

Excuse me Mun911, I don’t understand. What is haram? This kind of ceremony?

Thanks for the video SM, it’s very interesting. :slight_smile:
And it’s a pity that this ceremony date from march, I would have liked to see it.

No. it is not a ceremony.
Basically I had to give as speech for Toastmaster (www.toastmasters.org) so i decide to discuss superstition… i wanted to talk about Fatima’s hand and present to my audience… i was not able to find the one at home so i tried the local market in KSA. everyone told me it is haram which means forbidden in Islam.

yes it is! and the big problem of our community is illiteracy! People don’t know that these practices are haram. :hm:

ok, thanks for your answers. It’s clearer for me now. :slight_smile:

lol barbara hendricks in qaftan…she looks like a shiyyakha.:hap:

:okay:

I remembered this discussion yesterday, while looking at my Fatima’s hand that I have in my keyring. I am actually not using it with any attention to prevent the evil eye, I just thought it was pretty.
By the way, I didn’t know about the story behind khmisa before. We all learn from the forum ;).

khmisa became just a jewel in morocco and i am sure that a majority of moroccan considers it as that.