Eng>Arabic

I want to send a message of condolence to a Canadian Soldier’s family who was killed in action. His family is Lebanese, can someone please translate this for me:

“He is not just a hero to us, but to our entire country. Everywhere in Canada, people are celebrating his life, and his death. I am truly sorry for your loss. May God bless his soul, and may he rest in peace.”

Thank you very much.

In MSA?
I am afraid “celebrating” is a so wrong word to use in such circumstances. When translated to Arabic, it will just convey completely the opposite of what you want to say.
How about if you try to rephrase and tell me which dialect you want?
Also, was the soldier Muslim? If not, I am afraid my Muslim expressions wouldn’t really fit a Christian family. I am sure they must have their own appropriate expressions.

Sorry,

He was a Christian. I have heard many people using phrases such as Allah yer7amo when expressing their condolences. Tomorrow is his funeral, by the way.

"He is not just a hero to us, but to our entire country. Everywhere in Canada, people are mourning his death - Christians, Muslims, non-Religious. When his body returned home, thousands of people stood on the roads to salute his honorable life and his honorable death. He has made our country very proud. He now has a place in the history books of our nation. I am truly sorry for your loss (your loss - plural). May God bless his soul, and may he rest in peace. "

If you could write it in Lebanese Arabic, this would be great.

If there are any other problems with translation, please feel free to change it to make it sound more appropriate.
Your help is really appreciated!

I believe that it’s quite a formal message. Even if it’s not, and they are your friends, I think that sticking to MSA would be good.
I therefore translated the message accordingly, and I removed the part where you said you were sorry for their loss, it kind of didn’t fit in the message.
I believe that you can read MSA, so please check it and let me know if you need anything changed.

[large]??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ???. ?? ?? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ???: ??? ? ??? ? ??? ???. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ???. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ???. ??? ??? ???.[/large]

Thank you very much for your help.

Unfortunately, I cannot read the entire message since I still rely on vowel markings for words that I do not know. I am still a student of MSA.

I should have asked you to write it in latin characters, it would have helped me pronounce it properly when I did read it over.

[quote=SimplyMoroccan]I believe that it’s quite a formal message. Even if it’s not, and they are your friends, I think that sticking to MSA would be good.
I therefore translated the message accordingly, and I removed the part where you said you were sorry for their loss, it kind of didn’t fit in the message.
I believe that you can read MSA, so please check it and let me know if you need anything changed.

[large]??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ???. ?? ?? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ???: ??? ? ??? ? ??? ???. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ???. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ???. ??? ??? ???.[/large][/quote]
You indeed should have mentioned that you wanted to read it. It’s always good to provide the full context, both of us would gain time.

Anyways, here it is:

Innaho laysa baTalan binnisbati lanâ faqaT, bal binnisbati libaladinâ kollih. Fî kolli makânen fi Kanadâ, alkollo 7azînon lifoqdânih: masî7iyyîn w moslimîn wa ghayr motadayyinîn. 3indamâ 3âda jothmânoho ilâ arDi alwaTan, âlafo almowaTinîn waqafô 3alâ janabâti aTTarîq lyo7ayyô 7ayâtaho ash-sharîfa, wa mawtaho al2ashraf. Laqad ja3ala baladanâ fakhôran beh, wa Sana3a linafsihi makâna fi kotobi târîkhi baladinâ. Falyataghammadho Allaho bira7matih.

[quote=SimplyMoroccan][quote=SimplyMoroccan]I believe that it’s quite a formal message. Even if it’s not, and they are your friends, I think that sticking to MSA would be good.

[large]??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ???. ?? ?? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ???: ??? ? ??? ? ??? ???. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ???. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ???. ??? ??? ???.[/large][/quote]
You indeed should have mentioned that you wanted to read it. It’s always good to provide the full context, both of us would gain time.

Anyways, here it is:

Innaho laysa baTalan binnisbati lanâ faqaT, bal binnisbati libaladinâ kollih. Fî kolli makânen fi Kanadâ, alkollo 7azînon lifoqdânih: masî7iyyîn w moslimîn wa ghayr motadayyinîn. 3indamâ 3âda jothmânoho ilâ arDi alwaTan, âlafo almowaTinîn waqafô 3alâ janabâti aTTarîq lyo7ayyô 7ayâtaho ash-sharîfa, wa mawtaho al2ashraf. Laqad ja3ala baladanâ fakhôran beh, wa Sana3a linafsihi makâna fi kotobi târîkhi baladinâ. Falyataghammadho Allaho bira7matih.[/quote]
Okay, so it’s all pretty straight forward when I read it this way. Except, I was just wondering, what does “Falyataghammadho” mean? =)

Thank you again

If you look it up in Google, you can see that it’s a very popular Arabic expression. It means: May God “cover” him with mercy. I couldn’t find an exact equivalent of the verb taghammada, but that’s pretty much the meaning.