conjugation - conjugate

sure! after the last selection for a tv dialog, i spent a little time searching around, but didnt find anything just perfect…maybe when i have a little more time…or if someone else can bring a clip they would like to learn i can try. i also was speaking with a friend who said she might come soon to the forum and help us :slight_smile:

idris- assssslam 3lekom wra7mat llahi wbaraktu
khadija- w3lekom asalam
idris- wfein ghadia bl dghia hakda
khadija- sma7 liya matanhadarch ma3 nass fel zin9a
idris- mziane hadchi, bent mo7tarama…iji ma3rftich khatir tmchi f charia3 bwa7daytik??
khadija- 3andi would 3ammi ri f derb lli jay wchoukran llah 3wanak
idris- llah 3wanik nti

Shokran, walakin, , this is too hard for me. I’ll take it home and try to get some help…someone else can reply if they want…Smahliya :cry:

can you find any words?? say the ones you know!! :ok::ok::ok:

khadija- w3lekom asalam
idris- mziane hadchi, bent mo7tarama…iji ma3rftich khatir tmchi f charia3 bwa7daytik??
idris- llah 3wanik nti

Idris - Peace be upon you and Allah’s grace and blessing (Standard moslem greeting - I say it often)
Khadija - And peace upon you (standard reply)
Idris - (not sure here - maybe [ Where have you been until now?]
Khadija - Forgive me [I was not talking?] with people in the alley
Idris - This is great my respected (certainly a better word here) daughter - didn’t you know it is danger to walk in the streets by yourself?
Khadija - I had [my son?] in front of me [not sure - ri f derb] and thanks to Allah [3wanak? he helped you?]
Idris - Allah helps you

good job sahir…

3ndi shwiya:

Idris: Salamuleekum
Khadiji: Wa laykum salam
idris: where are you going with …??
Khadiji: Sorry, I don’t talk with people in the street.
Idris: that’s ok, girl …(iji)hes leaving (ma3arftich) I don’t know…(tmch) you’re leaving in the street(msa shariya)?
Khadija: ???

:^^:

good job guys!!

sahir1- good job on the greeting...in this case, if you are imagining a young guy talking to a young girl in the street, we can see him saying the whole long formal greeting in a joking or overly-floral way

sahir1- thats good!

mziane hadchi

could be that’s great or that’s good

bent mo7tarama

bent could be daughter or girl notice he does not say benti (so it is not my girl, and no ‘l’, so it is indefinite – ‘a respectable girl’)

and correct for iji ma3rftich khatir tmchi f charia3 bwa7daytik??

didnt you know it is dangerous to walk in the street by yourself

we can say iji (come here or come) as something to say look here, or listen up, and we could way wa7dik or wa7dytik both mean by yourself (fem)

the only thing i am a tiny bit shaky on is can i say khatir temchi like that…or do i need to say khatir ltemchi or something else :S sorry if that confused you

jdipiet- good one yes!! excuse me i dont talk with ppl in the street (or like saying i dont talk to strangers)

you guys also got llah 3awan or llah 3awanak…this is a common good bye for moroccan people, it means god help you (in your work). especially you could say it if someone was going specifically for work or a hard task, or sarcastically perhaps to say oh you are going somewhere to work, when really you know they are probably not going to work.

some more hints:

~ context is it is a young guy talking to a young girl in the street and they dont know each other

~ bel dghia or dghia dghia means quickly or real fast in darija

~ hakda is like the fos7a hakatha or the french comme ca

i think all that remains for you to solve is this sentence

3andi would 3ammi ri f derb lli jay

one more hint (because it’s tough)

~ ri is the way that many moroccans write out in roman characters the word
ghir (because the french r sounds like a gh…)

yalla llah 3awankom ; )

because the french r sounds like a gh…

My French teacher was astounded I had no issue with this sound. All those yrs of Arabic really helped out. Funny, the French speaking did not kick in so much - can read it decent enough and am chiwa listening, but speaking is not my gift.

we can see him saying the whole long formal greeting in a joking or overly-floral way

Yes, Ive done this for the exact same effect. Pretty funny coming from an obvious non-native speaker.

Will try again soon on this phrase

Going to combine jdipiet1’s work with the hints

Peace be upon you and the mercy and blessings of Allah

khadija- w3lekom asalam
And upon you peace

Where are you going so fast like that?

Excuse me, I dont talk to people in the streets

That’s good respectable girl - didn’t you know it’s dangerous to go in the streets by yourself?

(This one is really throwing me for a loop. Especially the “would”]
(My uncle’s brother is coming?) thanks and may Allah help you.

idris- llah 3wanik nti
Allah will help you

yes you basically have it, its good!! :okay::okay:

its like maybe a common conversation you would hear in the street of a girl and a guy flirting or teasing each other, or of a guy bothering a girl depending on the context, how the conversation is carried on, and your opinion

when you say mziane hadchi, bent mo7tarama. you could also correctly say mziane hadchi…nti bent mo7tarrama…that is, he is saying like, cool, you are a respectable girl, or thats a good thing, a respectable girl

would comes from w-l-d to birth, in morocco we say would for son more commonly than we say ibn. and the dad is loualid (with a long ee) and mama is lwalida. the two are lwalidayn. so you are close, she is saying the son of my uncle, or my cousin. and she is saying he lives or is set up in just the next street-- literally ‘i have my male cousin just in the small street thats coming next and thank you and have a good work’

again llah 3ouanak is just a way to say good bye and good luck.

would 3ammi- my cousin
ri- ghir- only or just
derb- small street (by definition a street that is a dead end)
lli jay- the next

merci achmin, ana fi khidmatak.

WOuld have been nice to know all this before I went to Morocco.
Now I’ll have to return in order to practice. Better yet, I should start
a business so I have to go back and forth :slight_smile:

Shokran! I still have a lot to learn and need to commit to studying…Inshallah I will! Thanks u guys! Like these kind of lessons! Im ready for more :hap:

i am really busy right now with work, ok i will give you one if no one else does in a couple days

shukran, everybody, for this useful thread. It would be great if a native-speaker would come along and help, too. :wink:

I’ve got a story from the book
“Humor and Moroccan Culture” by Matthew Helmke. Some of you may be familiar with it. I think I bought it from Amazon.com It is very useful for reading short texts in Darija. They are written in Arabic script, and are translated into English.

This story is about JuHa. Matthew Helmke describes JuHa as 'an interesting character in North African and Middle Eastern folklore. He is part jester and part wise man. He can say what everyone is thinking, but would never say, and he can get away with it. Sometimes stories about him impart wisdom, sometimes they’re just amusing observations of human nature.

waHd nhar JuHa msha l-3nd SaHbu w Tlb mnu bzaf d l-flus.
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? ? ???.

qal-lu, " 3lash bghitihom haduk l-flus, a JuHa?"
??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ???

jawbu, " ana ghadi nshri fil."
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

suwwel SaHbu, “fil? ash katfkr JuHa? ma3ndksh blasa kbira bash y3sh fiha l-fil. ma3ndksh l-flus bash tshri liya l-makla. ash katDn, ya SaHbi?”
??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???. ??
??? ?? ???

jawb JuHa, " ana Tlbt mnk flus, mashi neSiHa."
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Have a go at translating. I hope you can understand my transcription / romanization, and I hope I haven’t made too many mistakes with the Arabic script.

A hint :
fil = elephant
neSiHa = advice

Oh boy…

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? ? ???.

One day, Joha went to his friend and asked from him alot of money (asked to borrow from him)

??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ???

He said “What do you want to do with this money Joha?”

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

He answered, “I want to buy an elephant”

suwwel SaHbu, “fil? ash katfkr JuHa? ma3ndksh blasa kbira bash y3sh fiha l-fil. ma3ndksh l-flus bash tshri liya l-makla. ash katDn, ya SaHbi?”
??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???. ??
??? ?? ???

His friend answered, “Elephant? What are you thinking Joha? You don’t have a (place - blasa?) big enough for an elephant to live in, you don’t have enough money to buy (food - makla?). What are you (doing - katDn?) my friend?”

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Joha answered, “I asked for money from you, not advice”

Hmm, well I’m not good at understanding full sentences, but I’ll try translating using the words I think I recognize :slight_smile:

One ? JuHa went to his friend (to borrow?) much money.

he was told “why do you want this money, JuHa?”

?, “I’m gonna buy an elephant”

(His frend asked?) : "An elephant? -ash katfkr JuHa?- You don’t have a big (blasa?) (bash y3sh fiha l-fil?) You don’t ghave the money (bash) to buy it the food (maybe, I don’t understand the sentence). (ash katDn?) my friend.

?, I (?) money, not advice.

mezian bezzaf - well done ! sahir1 and BaraSara

Here’s a bit of clarification :

qal-lu - he said to him
3lash - why
bghitihom - you want them (referring to the money)
jawb-u - he answered him
suwwel - he asked
blasa - ‘place’, room (in the sense of (not) enough room)
bash - (in order) to
tlbt - ask, request
mnk - from you

Okey, here’s an english sentence again with verbs that I hope someone can translate and conjugate in darija :

Maryam: I wish I could speak to you, but I am in a hurry.
Haitem: It’s okay, we spoke yesterday anyway. Where are you going?
Maryam: I’m going to play football, and after that I’m going to eat dinner with my family.
Haitem: Ok, maybe we can see eachother tomorrow then.
Maryam: Yes, I hope I have more time tomorrow. Good bye

maryam- baghia nhadar ma3k, wlakin rani mezrouba daba

haitem- hania, 3ad hdarna lbare7…fein ghadia ba3da?

maryam- ana ghadnla3b kora, wmin ba3d ghadia nta3acha ma3 la3ila

haitem- wakha, inchallah netchoufou ghada

maryam- iwa ghada inchallah llah yhanik

that is my attempt

Merci :slight_smile: I’m not very creative, wish there were more people writing some different sentences…