Citations et proverbes du Maghreb

Okay, back to sayings?

lli 3andu fmu gaa ma ytllfsh

‘he who has…’ lost :slight_smile:

Freedom means having nothing left to lose.

sorry, is that the translation of your quote, or a new one?
also, what is ‘gaa’ i heard it in a song ‘rim-k, jamais nensake, ga3 les jeunes, ysim3o ghinaak’ :hap:

Oh, sorry Tukha; I thought your entry was a different saying; I didn’t realize you were trying to translate mine. The saying in question is something my father-in-law used to always say. Literally, it’s, “The one who has his mouth with him doesn’t get lost.” “Gaa” is some sort of particle which intensifies the meaning of the following words. I don’t know of any real way to translate it as a word. It’s sort of like the particle “lo” in, “and lo, there he was”.

OHH i see!
thanks for the explanation, and i like that quote :hap:

w LI TLEF Y CHEDD LAARD

what’s that mean, amico? :smiley:

Celui qui s’est égaré, doit s’arrêter, s’asseoir, …

ohhh wow! tres belle, merciii :smiley:

“Celui qui met sa tête dans le son se fait picorer par les poulets.”

Li Wsal Lrass Jbel Khasso y Nzel

Come on, guys, doesn’t anybody know any amthal? (oh, I mean amtal, I think)

dnbk 3ala jnbk

Alright, wake up everyone!!!

3aynk mizank

that reminds me of one:

el3ayn takol 9abl lfam (or something) :hap:

oh but that’s not a maghrebi one, i don’t know where it’s from actually xD my mum says it!

I think they do say something like that…at any rate, it sounds familiar. We say, “His eyes were bigger than his stomach.” (y3any, we a3jam/3jameeyun who happen to be Amerians)

But, for a pure Maghribi one, you can’t beat, “Almksi bdyal nnas 3aryan.”

what does “a3jam” mean?
and could you translate your proverb too xD

a3jam/3ajameyuun is the word for not-an-Arab. It is found in the Qur’an, incidentally, and there are linguists who see two meanings in the verse “a 3jamiyun wa 3arabiyun”, the first being, "Can it be (out of the thoughts of a) non-Arab and be (in such masterful) Arabic? The second has to do with the meaning of i3rab, which is the grammatical case/mood system affixed to the formal Arabic language. The second reading would mean something like, “(Can it be) ambiguous (seeing as it is) precisely annotated?” …but that is an issue which came up in a class I took on the History of the Arabic Language, and the second rendition was purely a secular, linguistic appreciation of the meanings of the words, and part of a discussion about whether lugha or lisan was the original meaning of language, in Arabic.

As for the proverb, it means. “The one who is wearing other people’s clothing is naked (exposed).”

I LIKE THAT PROVERB! brilliant :hap:
and thanks, i understand now!