chwia....

alo, could you help please with just a small translation? i think i have some of this, but need a few of the words…thank you!

lah ykamal belkher

chaftek b 3in rahma

thanks again!

chaftek b3in rahma = (i think!) I looked at you/saw you with merciful eyes (?) - I think this is implying that he/she has no bad intention

lah ykammal bilkhir = expression May God make you both happy - when someone gets married

[quote=LallaAïcha]chaftek b3in rahma = (i think!) I looked at you/saw you with merciful eyes (?) - I think this is implying that he/she has no bad intention

lah ykammal bilkhir = expression May God make you both happy - when someone gets married[/quote]
You got the first right. It’s also a catch phrase from a Moroccan sitcom that was on TV two or three years ago.

For the second one, we don’t use that expression only with people getting married, we using to wish good luck to people with whatever project they started. It might be a business.

this makes alot of sense, thank you both.

Darija - Lover, could you elaborate on the catch phrase element? i’m interested in the context in which the statement may have been made. could this have been said in a joking way?

shokran bzaf!

Yes, it can be said in a joking way. The sitcom was about a guy whose eye is “very evil”. He might just look at someone or something for something bad to happen. [Should I elaborate on the meaning of the evil eye in Islam/Moroccan culture?]
So that guy used to say to people “chaftek b3in rra7ma”, meaning that he doesn’t intend anything bad, but then disasters happen no matter what he says.

thank you, yes, please elaborate on the evil eye, if you have time. your explanations are very thorough and interesting!

Salam

Could you Darija-Lover or somebody akhor give us the name of this sitcom or the carachter that say this words? It sounds pretty funny knowing the “evil-eye” thing that’s on popular culture here in Morocco :slight_smile:

W shukran