Can Someone Please Tell Me How to Say This in Moroccan Arabic?

If someone could please help me with this - I want to know how to say in Moroccan Arabic:

“English, American and Canadian Moroccanness”

I mean as in Moroccans from England, America and Canada.

I realize that that last word, “Moroccanness”, may not be a word in the Moroccan vocabulary so if it isn’t then I will settle for replacing that part with just “Moroccans”.

That’s commonly said as:
Moroccans of England, America, and Canada
مغاربة انجلترا وأمريكا وكندا
Magharibat Inglatirra wa amrika wa canada

Or:
Moroccans residing in England, America, and Canada
المغاربة القاطنون بانجلترا وأمريكا وكندا
Almaghariba alqatinouna bi inglatirra wa amrika wa canada

Another official word we use in Morocco to refer to the disapora/expat community is الجالية - Aljaliya.

So accordingly:
The Moroccan diaspora residing in England, America, and Canada.
** الجالية المغربية المقيمة بانجلترا وأمريكا وكند**
Aljaliya almaghribia almoqima bi inglatirra wa amrika wa canada.

Interestingly, if you translate the word jaliya using different dictionaries, it says “community” (which might answer your previous community-related question).

Note that we never use aljaliya to refer to a local community or one that shares common interests. It’s exclusively used for the diaspora.

As for Moroccanness, we interestingly have a word for it. It’s an Amazigh used by everyone whether they are Arab or Amazigh: Tamghrabit تامغربيت

Oh, that’s very interesting. And does it exist specifically in the form “English, American and Canadian Moroccans” as opposed to “Moroccans of England, America and Canada”/“Moroccans residing in England, America and Canada”/“The Moroccan diaspora residing in England, America and Canada”?

Excellent question!

Regardless of dual nationalities or not, we never refer to this community with dual citizenship. We never say, for example, Moroccan Americans or American Moroccans. I mean in Arabic, in formal speeches, in the ministry in charge of their affairs, etc. It’s never Moroccan somethings or something Moroccans.

I know that second or third generation immigrants, even if they don’t have the Moroccan nationality, might refer to themselves, for example, as Moroccan Americans or American Moroccans. But from the Moroccan perspective, they are Moroccans living abroad.

Ahh, okay, I see now. How about if I wanted to use these words to describe things instead of people? For example how would I say “English, American and Canadian money”?

With things, it should be pretty simple: the thing of the country.
For example: The money of Canada
الفلوس ديال كندا
Elflous dial Canada

For people again, would even just simply “Canadian people” be in the form “people of Canada”?

Yes. Example in previous post :slight_smile:

Okay, understood. Thank you for baring with me.

1 Like