Arabic Phrase - Ara>Eng

What is the translation of this?

tasbe7ta 3ala kheir wala la2?

Can someone translate it word for word, and tell me why there is a question mark?

If I guessed what it meant (I will probably be wrong), I would guess that it means: “Did you have a good night and sleep well?”

And how could I possibly respond to this?

This sentence is dialectal, but it’s not correct. Tasbe7ta is just not right.
Tosbî7 3ala khayr = Good night. Literally: Will you wake up in good shape.
In a dialectal form, it would: tesba7 3ala khir. The ta ending is just confusing…
Wala = or. La2 = no/not.
So the sentence can roughly be something like: Good night, or not?
Does it make any sense to you?

Well, it doesn’t exactly make any sense to me.

It is funny because I only understand MSA, and this person in particular consistently tells me I am making no sense when I type sentences in MSA - but the fact that you said what she has written is incorrect, makes me believe that I’m not the person having a spelling/grammar issue here.

How would I respond:

“this sentence did not make sense, what were you trying to say?”

It might be helpful if it was written in Egyptian (since the female I am speaking to is Egyptian).

Here is your translation:
Elgomla bta3tek mesh mafhooma. Enty kan asdek eeh?
= Your sentence is not understandable. What did you mean?

You can add:
Ya3ni eeh tasbe7ta?
= What does tasbe7ta mean?

Let’s see how she’ll explain her tasbe7ta.

Thank you!

I have another question, what does eeh mean?

Eeh is what in Egyptian.
Enta 3ayez menni eeh eeh eeh —> Song :dj: . You don’t listen to Egyptian songs, do you?

Do you think there is a possibility that the “ta” on the end of tasbe7ta is her attempt at conjugation? Maybe she’s trying to make the sentence directed towards masculine singular, enta?

[quote=SimplyMoroccan]Eeh is what in Egyptian.
Enta 3ayez menni eeh eeh eeh —> Song :dj: . You don’t listen to Egyptian songs, do you?[/quote]
When I read the sentence, I thought eeh probably meant what. As I said, I only know MSA vocabulary, and some Levantine vocab. I would have said shu rather than eeh, or madtha if there was a verb in the sentence.

I find Egyptian Arabic to be so confusing to me.

I actually did think the same, but then I thought you were a girl and ta wouldn’t make sense.
What? She is not a native?

[quote=Peace-and-Love]When I read the sentence, I thought eeh probably meant what. As I said, I only know MSA vocabulary, and some Levantine vocab. I would have said shu rather than eeh, or madtha if there was a verb in the sentence.

I find Egyptian Arabic to be so confusing to me.[/quote]
Yet many universities around the world teach Egyptian as a main Arabic dialect, finding it to be the closest to MSA. Bet on that!
In Darija it’s: Ashno or shno. Closer to shu.

[quote=SimplyMoroccan][quote=Peace-and-Love]When I read the sentence, I thought eeh probably meant what. As I said, I only know MSA vocabulary, and some Levantine vocab. I would have said shu rather than eeh, or madtha if there was a verb in the sentence.

I find Egyptian Arabic to be so confusing to me.[/quote]
Yet many universities around the world teach Egyptian as a main Arabic dialect, finding it to be the closest to MSA. Bet on that!
In Darija it’s: Ashno or shno. Closer to shu.[/quote]
Well, since we are both here, you might be able to help me with something else. How do you identify an iDaafa structure in a sentence?

And actually, I am not a woman, so I hope that clears the air a bit.

I just assume whatever comes to my mind first associated with the nickname.

Hmmm… iDaafa. Honestly, I wouldn’t explain it better than page 205 of A Reference Grammar of Modern Standard Arabic. I hope it helps.