Amazigh Culture and Weddings

I am currently engaged to someone that I have known for quite a while now and although I am half Moroccan myself, there are a few cultural differences especially as he is originally a Berber from a village in Ouarzazate. Could someone (preferably an Amazigh/Berber), tell me a little bit about what might happen regarding a Berber Wedding? My family are still getting used to the idea, so I don’t think bombarding them with questions is a good idea at the moment lol. I was hoping that a fellow Moroccan could enlighten me…I am due to visit him, as he wants to buy me an engagement ring etc. I will be meeting his family for the first time too and I am very nervous. They are a very traditional, simple family. I’m sure they will be lovely, as he says, but please let me know if there are any tips I could have as to how to speak to his mother etc.

He has explained the wedding ceremony to me, but I would appreciate knowing a little more in terms of what the bride wears etc. I know that Berber weddings aren’t as flashy and are usually simple.

Choukrane bzaf en avance pour m’aider avec cette probleme, si on veut me reponder en francais ou bien sur anglais c’est bien je comprend les deux.

et pour les amazighs ‘thalla ghikfnnam’ lol…je crois ca veut dire ‘prends soin de toi’…

Myriam

I’m from a village near Ouarzazate too :smiley: but i don’t know nothing about weddings :hm:

All i know is that they’ve Ahwach when somebody is about to get married :neu:

But i’ll ask my parents they must know something :wink:

Congratulations Myriam, I will be in the same position as you inchallah soon but im not moroccan and he is, so any replies you recieve would be a great insight for me too.

take care and good luck and May Allah give you a happy marriage.

Its really amazing because, Amazigh Arts in Morocco constitutes a pioneering contribution to the field of North African cultural and artistic history. Becker’s lucid prose conveys an intimate knowledge of the Ait Khabbash, and a sensitivity for the complexity of women’s lives and the artistry with which they negotiate social tensions within Muslim North Africa.