A Little Help Here ;)

hahahaha truee, sometimes i liked to feel a little rebellious :wink:
there were good and bad times, but you gotta love 'em…

yeahhhhhh for sure!! there are times we enjoy remembering and times that we regret :confused:

i just can’t believe how rude i was sometimes!!! i look back at ptite LA sometimes and say tut tut tut at myself :no:

lol well people change for the best :slight_smile:
you may have been rude, but you were young and didn’t think about it

i’m definitely sure you’re not rude now :wink:

I wouldn’t be that positive :smiley:

…and why’s that? :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t be that positive :D[/quote]
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: when have u seen me be rude??? :unsure:

me too :stuck_out_tongue:

mmmm…let’s see…never, never aaaaaaaaaaaand…never, see… 3 times :spt:

seriously, i was one of those u made them smell Hydrochloric 10 years ago :th:
you’re just too evil to remember your victims.

mbd!!!

[quote=mimi246][quote]ma = what
ma = what
ma = not
ma = that[/quote]
so ma can mean all of those?
i wonder how i’ll remember all that :P[/quote]
its 2 hard 2 try and ascribe each darija word to an english equivalent…u will drive urself crazy translating over in ur head…

‘what’ or ‘that’ is ma in some contexts…in others it’s lli or dak or smthng else…

and thats not how ur natural darija skills work in ur brain that u learned at home yak? my advice is to think about expressing yourself in darija over turning an expression you already have in english into darija

mon jouj d rial :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=mimi246]another thing:
is mn a comparative sort of word, such as when your comparing two things.
like when you’re talking about musa being taller than khalid
would you say: twal mn khalid (?)

…any help is good ;)[/quote]
yeah u use it for comparison, min could also mean ‘from’,

mina hina tal tama
shika min berkane

yalla

mmmm…let’s see…never, never aaaaaaaaaaaand…never, see… 3 times :spt:

seriously, i was one of those u made them smell Hydrochloric 10 years ago :th:
you’re just too evil to remember your victims.[/quote]
jjjjjjj msati wellah, i think as you grow older ya pb you’re getting harder to cope with :stuck_out_tongue: accusing me of encouraging u to smell acid w shnou :no:

and don’t think i didn’t realise but you said “10 years ago” which makes me a 25 year old right now, 25 is definitely not old but i still took it as an insult coz telling a woman she’s older than what she really is, is always an insult. :fouet:

[quote=achminfar9][quote=mimi246][quote]ma = what
ma = what
ma = not
ma = that[/quote]
so ma can mean all of those?
i wonder how i’ll remember all that :P[/quote]
its 2 hard 2 try and ascribe each darija word to an english equivalent…u will drive urself crazy translating over in ur head…

‘what’ or ‘that’ is ma in some contexts…in others it’s lli or dak or smthng else…

and thats not how ur natural darija skills work in ur brain that u learned at home yak? my advice is to think about expressing yourself in darija over turning an expression you already have in english into darija

mon jouj d rial :P[/quote]
you got that right, i tried doing that once, translating every word.
it didnt work out, my sentences didnt sound right

yeah, that’s what i usually try to do…take an english phrase in my head and put it in darija, but at times i’m missing little words because of my lack of vocabulary.
and other times i dont know how to put the words together and thats when i start stumbling in my speaking

but for the ma, lli, and dak…how do you know when you’re supposed to use them?

u have no idea :smiley:

oops ! rule #1, never tell a female she’s 1 day older than what she is.

hang on, let me put my achminfar9ologie glasses on and push them up my nose :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=mimi246]you got that right, i tried doing that once, translating every word.
it didnt work out, my sentences didnt sound right

yeah, that’s what i usually try to do…take an english phrase in my head and put it in darija, but at times i’m missing little words because of my lack of vocabulary.
and other times i dont know how to put the words together and thats when i start stumbling in my speaking[/quote]
i’m not in a position 2 tell you, but i think that you should just use your feeling and innate memory of what you have heard from your parents and other elders. think about how they phrase things: i can tell from your posts that you do that already, sometimes you dont know exactly how each word in a sentence goes together, but you know the sentence or phrase, and what kind of effect or response or feeling it is attempting to convey…and these arent always effects, responses or feelings that even exist en anglais yak?

yeah its tough particularly with linking words and prepositions…well my staunch position is that there are rules: 3la soura 3ama there is a similar use of ma and lli in fos7a (except they say alathi instead of lli), and these follow particular grammatical rules. unfortunately i dont know them very well or put them into words…grammar was never my strong point :(. if ummaryam was here she would give you a good answer. ayse can give you some links to old lessons from SM dialna ou maybe some good discussions from ummaryam (not because i’m too lazy but bc lil ayse is so much more knowledgeable about the forum :wink:

however again like i said above (and what i think most native speakers would recommend): the best way to learn it is just on a case by case basis, jomla bljomla, kalima bkalima, listening to native speakers, which you are lucky to have in your own house i think yak? pretty soon it will just be natural and you can say it without thinking…

but im just replying cuz it didnt look like any1 else was gonna answer u, im just tryna learn 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

haha chokran ya ach, very considerate of you to reply :slight_smile:

i’m sure i’ll figure it out somehow, someway.
but for now, i’m just doing my best…thank God for my mom though :stuck_out_tongue: lol

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

ghi 1 day???