7achak

this has to be the hardest word to translate
im trying to explain this to a friend…
help??

thanks

7ashak: literally (in classic arabic) means: forbid, forbidden, pevented from you, away from you, not apropriate for you, doesn’t match with you, shouldn’t be in you…etc
In darija, the meaning is almost the same.

The term is used while talking about something bad/wrong/dirty in order to show respect for people or give them a high value (higher than what those bad things might be).

For normal people & usual conversations <— when you’re talking about something like rubbish/garbage, you follow the word rubbish with the word 7ashak.
EX: i’ve just been out to throw a bag in the garbage “7ashak” (“7ashakum” for plural)
Sometimes when people are disrespectful, & mention something dirty, we reply them with “7ashak”, either to show them that they were disrespectful or that they should at least have said “7ashak”.

Sometimes when someone say sth about him & you know uts not right, you can say “7asha” (without “K”)
EX: person1: do i look like a thief for you ?
person2: no , “7asha”

Nearly the same case when talking about religious stuff, like when they say that Jesus is the son of God we reply with : we believe in jesus but “7asha” for God if je has a son !!
When they say that Prophet Mohammad is a lier, we say: “7asha” for him to be so.

I hope i was clear :slight_smile:

see i didnt know 7achak was fus7a??
how is it spelled in arabic??

you know how i’ve heard it used?
like if someone tries to do you favor
like if i try to do something like tie someone’s shoes for them they wont let you and they’ll tell you 7achak…

[quote=marroquina]you know how i’ve heard it used?
like if someone tries to do you favor
like if i try to do something like tie someone’s shoes for them they wont let you and they’ll tell you 7achak…[/quote]
Yeah, thats similar to the example i said about “do i look like a thief”, exept for that its no always related to doing you a favor…but only if that favor might lessen from that other person.

& even if its Fos7a, its used in the same way in Darija.

7achak l boul awwlidi, khasni l boul, mdarBA m3amer bi l boul… (7acha)

safi awwlidi bzoula ta3ti 3anda lbn fiha (7acha) BLUDA dyali ghadi tfarga3 bil boul awwlidi (7achak) KHASNI BOUDAREK DABA RASI KBIRA BZAF (sukti awwlidi) (EwA!) khasni tayrul lma, 'laa ya3tikla lwa! aia